Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Bellwoods Brewery

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

jp_jkl

Post by jp_jkl »

Blasphomet wrote:
Quotashun wrote:
distr0 wrote:Has bellwoods sold any cans recently? Was that a one time thing?
Nope, only at Witchstock last year and a couple times shortly afterward. Think it was just Witchshark, Jutsu and Cutting Bells...?
They did a run of Roman Candle cans too. All the cans were great and wish they'd do all their core pale ales in cans. Or just everything in cans. I much prefer cans. Lighter, easier to store beer fridge-wise, etc.

I asked the people working at Hafis last year around when they released the Roman Candle cans if there were plans to continue on with it, and they said it was basically an experiment with no set plans. We're approaching a year since, now.
They invested in a bottling machine a couple years ago. I can't see canning becoming a regular thing but I totally agree with you on preferring cans.
http://www.bellwoodsbrewery.com/blog/a- ... d-on-hafis

If they start canning again, my guess is they'd be using a mobile canning company, which would likely bump up the cost of beer per ml.

Quotashun

Post by Quotashun »

Oh yeah, totally forgot about the Roman Candles cans too.

I agree with you guys; definitely prefer that style canned.

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

was talking with a couple of the fine folk there a couple weeks ago about cans and from what i heard i wouldn't hold my breath on seeing them again. i'll leave it at that.

Cadbury102

Post by Cadbury102 »

Had the Scotch Bonnets Skeleton Key today and was very impressed. I've had a number of stouts with pepper in them, and I think that this is in my top 2 or 3. The pepper is so nicely integrated that it just warms the palate enough to let you know its there, without being the major focus. The sweetness from the lactose and dulce de leche is a wonderful balance to the pepper. All these ingredients are an excellent pair with the hit of rum, and solid roasted malt backbone.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Cadbury102 wrote:Had the Scotch Bonnets Skeleton Key today and was very impressed.
I had a taster of the scotch bonnet version and was almost floored. This is a remarkable beer. The flavours are so intense, yet so balanced. It gave me scotch bonnet burps.

The coffee and vanilla version of Skeleton Key is also fantastic.

If there was ever a $17 beer, this is it.

This year's base Skeleton Key is not as spicy as previous iterations, which is a good thing IMO.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

jeremyg wrote:was talking with a couple of the fine folk there a couple weeks ago about cans and from what i heard i wouldn't hold my breath on seeing them again. i'll leave it at that.
It's odd how different the average Ontario craft beer consumer is compared to their counterparts south of the border.

jjots

Post by jjots »

beerstodiscover wrote:
Cadbury102 wrote:Had the Scotch Bonnets Skeleton Key today and was very impressed.
I had a taster of the scotch bonnet version and was almost floored. This is a remarkable beer. The flavours are so intense, yet so balanced. It gave me scotch bonnet burps.

The coffee and vanilla version of Skeleton Key is also fantastic.

If there was ever a $17 beer, this is it.

This year's base Skeleton Key is not as spicy as previous iterations, which is a good thing IMO.
funny how different plates can be. I found it undrinkable. the heat from the scotch bonnet is all I could taste. if I were blindfolded I could not have even guessed it was a stout.

Experimentations can be fun, but I hope this is a one-off.

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

Does anyone have any intel on the timing of a BOYD release this year? It was mid-November last year; earlier than previous years.

Cadbury102

Post by Cadbury102 »

Provost Drunk wrote:Does anyone have any intel on the timing of a BOYD release this year? It was mid-November last year; earlier than previous years.
Per the October newsletter: "Bring Out Your Dead 2018 is a thing of beauty and will be released just before Halloween. I'm not sure a beer can be spooky, but this would come close. "

I would imagine this weekend if they stay true to the original plan.

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

Cadbury102 wrote:
Provost Drunk wrote:Does anyone have any intel on the timing of a BOYD release this year? It was mid-November last year; earlier than previous years.
Per the October newsletter: "Bring Out Your Dead 2018 is a thing of beauty and will be released just before Halloween. I'm not sure a beer can be spooky, but this would come close. "

I would imagine this weekend if they stay true to the original plan.
Thanks - as soon as I asked, they posted on their Instagram as well. It comes out Saturday. $15 per bottle; no limits.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

After a stout-starved summer, the wallet-destroying onslaught of incredible dark beers continues at Bellwoods.

I never really loved Bounty Hunter but this year's batch is great, bursting with coconut but the stout flavours stand up at the same time.
Ditto for the flavour in A Stout We Made (Coffee). Loads of fresh ground coffee and smooth, soft mouthfeel.
I think the non-coffee A Stout We Made is a nice stout, but nothing to seek.

I also love that they are now doing bottle pours at Hafis, in addition to the 4 taps.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

I’ve had bounty hunter a couple of times and been underwhelmed each time. I never get the adjuncts from it and just get the base beer(which is nice tbh). From my experience, probably my least fav Bellwoods beer, apart from some of the OG beers in the first year or two

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

sofakingdrunk wrote:I’ve had bounty hunter a couple of times and been underwhelmed each time. I never get the adjuncts from it and just get the base beer(which is nice tbh). From my experience, probably my least fav Bellwoods beer, apart from some of the OG beers in the first year or two
That was exactly how I felt about Bounty Hunter but I think this year's is way better, if you like coconut. I wasn't planning to buy any but after I had a pour I ended up getting 3 bottles.

JaseWescott

Post by JaseWescott »

Bellwoods opening online bottle shop Dec 5th :D

http://www.bellwoodsbrewery.com/blog?fb ... QQwteqEe-s

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

After a tough stretch at work, I cracked one of my BOYD 2018 bottles today. It was notably off and tasted infected. Hoping it was a one-off, I cracked a second bottle that turned out to be just as bad. Checked in with a buddy of mine and he had a bad experience with a bottle last weekend. I'm getting a bit concerned. I've still got 12 or so cellared and it would be a shame (and an expensive one at that) if it's all spoiled. Anyone else having these issues? I last drank a bottle of BOYD on December 23 and it was as good as ever; not sure what's transpired since then. I also cracked a 2015 bottle back in November and it had aged beautifully. I stocked up this year in hopes of ageing a bunch.