Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Bellwoods Brewery

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Most of the the DMS and diacetyl issues I perceived were in 2014 and early 2015. I can't say I've noticed any off flavors in anything produced in 2016. I though I got faint DMS off of only 2 batches of Monogamy (can't remember exactly which ones). However, I do recall the diacetyl issues being much more common, at least to my perception...Wizard Wolf, occasional Roman Candles, and especially some Monogamies (Mosaic, Ella, Columbus). None were "butter bombs", but I though there was enough there to be unmistakable. Never anything in any stouts, porters, sours etc. My understanding of the causes of diacetyl Is limited to reading and my limited home brew experience, so I wouldn't pretend to be able to pinpoint the exact cause. All I can say is 1-I'm pretty sure it was there, unless my perception is way way off and 2-all Bellwoods hoppy beers have substantially improved over that last 12 months, regardless of whether any off flavors were there or not. If there were some off flavors, whatever they are doing now/changed has corrected those problems. I honestly have no problem calling Bellwoods the best brewery in Canada for 2016.

distr0

Post by distr0 »

i have a bottle of the new farmageddon (11?) that I haven't tried yet, but I found previous versions to be very underwhelming. the cherry version was just cough-medicine-y IMO. People seem to love it though... what am I missing?

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

distr0 wrote:i have a bottle of the new farmageddon (11?) that I haven't tried yet, but I found previous versions to be very underwhelming. the cherry version was just cough-medicine-y IMO. People seem to love it though... what am I missing?
that cherry can taste like cough medicine :)

i didn't find it in that beer, but i don't love most cherry beer in blonder bases.

farmageddon's had some excellent vintages. none are the same. opened one xmas night to have with turkey and it was amazing

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

I really enjoyed the cherry farm last year...and really enjoyed 3mtm last year.
Had this year's 3mtm on tap when it came out....and wasn't as pleased with it, so i only grabbed 1 bottle to try down the road to see how it is.

Have the cherry farm from this year in the fridge, i hope I like it. I am a cherry fan, and a cough syrup fan, haha.....so it has to be pretty bad for me not to like it.

I remember when Motley cru came out earlier this year....and grandmas boy....i liked grandmas boy much better at the time. Should try both of those again to see how things may have changed.

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

Last edited by BakaGaijin on Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:24 am, edited 3 times in total.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

El Pinguino wrote:I really enjoyed the cherry farm last year...and really enjoyed 3mtm last year.
Had this year's 3mtm on tap when it came out....and wasn't as pleased with it, so i only grabbed 1 bottle to try down the road to see how it is.

Have the cherry farm from this year in the fridge, i hope I like it. I am a cherry fan, and a cough syrup fan, haha.....so it has to be pretty bad for me not to like it.

I remember when Motley cru came out earlier this year....and grandmas boy....i liked grandmas boy much better at the time. Should try both of those again to see how things may have changed.

Grandmas boy was the best beer i had this year hands down. I absolutely loved it, wish i had more. The only thing even close was Tempest brewing's Marmalade on Rye IIPA while i was in Scotland. I've still got the Motley cru sitting in my fridge, so cant comment on that.

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

BakaGaijin wrote:
atomeyes wrote:
BakaGaijin wrote:
You can continue to suck them off as the dutiful fanboy you are. Swallow if you like.
at first, i was going to type up a reply to your homophobic reply. but honestly, i think we're all better off not prompting you to reply with absolute garbage.

instead, i'll just let your crap live in infamy in a sig.
happy holidays and keep it classy, sir.
We can agree to disagree. Quote me all you like. However, your assertion that my comments are somehow "homophobic" are ridiculous. I have no idea if you are male/female/transgender or gay/straight/bi or whatever. Whatever your sexual preferences are is irrelevent. I was referencing the fact that you often put the 'proverbial' Bellwoods cock in your 'proverbial' mouth. How you draw any sort of parralell to homophobia is beyond me.

ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

I just tasted the draft version of 3 Minutes to Midnight at Hafis rd this afternoon and I officially have no idea what people are talking about with regard to it being a "hot boozy mess" or something. No alcohol burn to speak of, no medicinal cherry flavor, good barrel character but not overwhelming. Maybe the bottles are different but there would need to be a huge disparity for it to be considered bad by any reasonable measure.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

I guess the thinking is if they say it enough maybe the price will somehow lower... :wink:

ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

Maybe they forget that profit margins on craft beer are usually razor thin, especially when considering barrel aged products. It's pretty obvious when a brewery is doing something exploitative or abusive with their pricing *cough*Three Floyds*cough* and Bellwoods does not appear to be showing any of the hallmarks all things considered.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Jelly King with Plum and a dark sour ale on cherries are out tomorrow.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Craig wrote:Jelly King with Plum and a dark sour ale on cherries are out tomorrow.
Thanks for the heads up. Think I'm going to check out the Hafis Road location tomorrow as it's close to my work, and Jelly King with Plum is a more than adequate excuse to head there. Pretty pumped to have these guys near by as I love their beers but rarely ever make it to the Ossington location (inconvenient drive and parking can be difficult).
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Really dig the Hafis Rd. space. Makes for a nice and easy detour on my way to work for the evening shift.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

I stopped by Hafis for the first time yesterday, quite liked it.
Open, friendly. Didn't quite see how you can sit around and enjoy a few beers very easily though...just a few barrels to stand around?
I guess it's just a quick "try it & buy it" tasting room.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

El Pinguino wrote: I guess it's just a quick "try it & buy it" tasting room.
That seems to be the idea. I've only been once, so I may be wrong but I don't think they do full pours ~ only 3o-4z (?) tasters, so I don't think the intent is to have customers there for extended periods of time. And for those that are, there are a few seats right up at the bar.