Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Bellwoods Brewery

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

beerguykw

Post by beerguykw »

I hate being a "Negative Nancy" but it's really frustrating when beer releases happen on a normal working day, at 11 am to boot. Can we at least get a staggered release time?!? like 3 or something. Coming from out of town, it's a bloody nightmare getting any where near the brewery during the day. I have to take the entire day off just to make it work. Just a bit of a rant....

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

It's your own fault for not living in the centre of the universe.

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

/not having a day job.

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

Craig wrote:
napoleon wrote:It appears Bellwoods is ready to release a new beer, Cheery Farmageddon. Barrel-aged Brett Saison with Niagara cherries.
http://bellwoodsbrewery.com/cherrified/
Goes on sale next Friday, Sept. 18th at 11 AM. 1,000 bottles @ $12 a pop. Limit 4/pp

Given how long it took the Barn Owl #2 to sell out, this probably won't go the same day...although famous last words.
Under 300 bottles left as of 14 minutes ago. Looks like this one is selling out in a hurry.
Pretty impressive if 250 people can get to the brewery within 2 hours on a weekday. I grabbed some this morning right after open and the line wasn't too long.

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

I hear they're on their final box right now, so don't rush over at 5 PM. Looks like the winner of the bet depends on if we follow Wheel of Fortune rules or not ;)

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

DeMarco wrote:We having bets here? Im guessing by 3pm it's all gone.
Add in *Central time* and you're on the money!
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

skootles

Post by skootles »

Yep, 12 bottles left as of 1 minute ago.

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

sprague11 wrote:
DeMarco wrote:We having bets here? Im guessing by 3pm it's all gone.
Add in *Central time* and you're on the money!
oh right we're not on daylight savings time anymore.

ckoop

Post by ckoop »

I don't get the complaints about selling stuff during 9-5 working hours, when it comes down to these guys not having a grasp on how to tweak bottle limits to make a release last and get into more peoples hands. Moving from a standard 8 to 4 was a step in the right direction, but it doesn't make sense that a 3000 bottle release has the same limit as a 1000 bottle release. This should have been a max of 2 pp if they had any interest in trying to make their bottles last longer to give a wide range of people a chance to buy them.

Just my opinion, and I wasn't getting this one anyway since I wasn't getting to toronto this weekend so I'm not complaining about missing out, but if I were a brewery my goal would be to have a release last a solid 24-48 hours and would tweak my limits accordingly. Love these guys, but their limited releases still need some work.

Bielawg

Post by Bielawg »

ckoop wrote:I don't get the complaints about selling stuff during 9-5 working hours, when it comes down to these guys not having a grasp on how to tweak bottle limits to make a release last and get into more peoples hands. Moving from a standard 8 to 4 was a step in the right direction, but it doesn't make sense that a 3000 bottle release has the same limit as a 1000 bottle release. This should have been a max of 2 pp if they had any interest in trying to make their bottles last longer to give a wide range of people a chance to buy them.

Just my opinion, and I wasn't getting this one anyway since I wasn't getting to toronto this weekend so I'm not complaining about missing out, but if I were a brewery my goal would be to have a release last a solid 24-48 hours and would tweak my limits accordingly. Love these guys, but their limited releases still need some work.
Agreed. My biggest issue with Bellwoods, and this is coming from someone who got my bottles today so I'm not upset or anything. But I would have been totally fine if they limited me to 2 bottles.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I don't really get why we should expect a brewer to enforce strict bottle limits. Their job is to sell beer, even limiting to 4 per person is basically them going through needless hassle for the sake of fairness.

My only real complaint with Bellwoods is they can't keep up with demand. But they're obviously trying to remedy that, so I don't think I really have anything to complain about.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

napoleon wrote:
Craig wrote: Pretty impressive if 250 people can get to the brewery within 2 hours on a weekday. I grabbed some this morning right after open and the line wasn't too long.
Your math is flawed. The total bottle count was 1,050. The total bottles sold at retail was quite a bit less than that (and it always is for their bottle releases).

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

TheSevenDuffs wrote: Your math is flawed. The total bottle count was 1,050. The total bottles sold at retail was quite a bit less than that (and it always is for their bottle releases).
Hmm...I know they always keep bottles back for the bar to sell on the reserve list. I just assumed the number they quote publicly was how many bottles they were selling as opposed to how many total had been made. If you have insider info, you can of course correct this assumption.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

napoleon wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote: Your math is flawed. The total bottle count was 1,050. The total bottles sold at retail was quite a bit less than that (and it always is for their bottle releases).
Hmm...I know they always keep bottles back for the bar to sell on the reserve list. I just assumed the number they quote publicly was how many bottles they were selling as opposed to how many total had been made. If you have insider info, you can of course correct this assumption.
Not only the reserve list, but licensees also get bottles. I have no idea how many of the 1,050 bottles were actually sold at retail, but I do know that 1,050 is the total number of bottles, not the number sold at retail.

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

As per the Cask Days beer listings....looks like Barn Owl #3 will be a saison aged on peaches (awesome!) And 3 Minutes to Midnight will be made with Raspberries.