Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Bellwoods Brewery

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

boney wrote:… What I don't understand is why some people get so upset when someone disagrees with their opinion. If someone disagrees with me I am more interested in learning why we disagree than proving their opinion wrong and my opinion right. Hopefully after that discussion I will have learned something new or appreciated a new perspective. If not, no harm done...
In Beerum Veritas

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

There was still a palette of Skeleton Key left when I was there around 8:30.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

tap list at Bellwoods is probably as good of an Ontario tap list as one can get.

Motley Cru 2015 is drinking amazingly well.
3MM is still on tap.
Farmageddon batch 10 is great.
and now Skeleton Key's on tap and it's really great.
and there are 5-6 other beer on tap. very dangerous

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

^^^

Do you get commission?

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

BakaGaijin wrote:^^^

Do you get commission?
nope. but i've been there every friday. can't really think of other bars to go to for a pint before dinner that have beer as good as Bellwoods.
if you have a list of any that are better, i'd be happy to read about this mystical place.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

BakaGaijin wrote:Do you get commission?
BarTowel is for sharing good information or making other positive contributions of discussion.

Especially on a related thread, so who's out of line now.
In Beerum Veritas

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Do you get commission?
For every positive post atomeyes has about Bellwoods, you seem to have one negative post about their prices. What's the difference?

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

think that bakagaijin and portwood should start a drinking group.

never thought i'd find 2 people more miserable than me. quite a relief to find them, actually!

portwood

Post by portwood »

atomeyes wrote:think that bakagaijin and portwood should start a drinking group.

never thought i'd find 2 people more miserable than me. quite a relief to find them, actually!
where's the "like" button?

fear not, whenever you think you're the most "____" person in the world, there's always someone more "_____" than you!
@markhamwhisky

AugustusRex

Post by AugustusRex »

In all seriousness, if anyone can name one Ontario brewery/brewpub that is even close to being at the same level as Bellwoods, please share. When I don't want to purchase one of their releases, due to price, distance, or otherwise, I just pass.

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:

Do you get commission?
For every positive post atomeyes has about Bellwoods, you seem to have one negative post about their prices. What's the difference?
I was just takin' the piss. Should have included one of these :wink:

I didn't actually mean any offence.

For the record, I do think Bellwood's are tops in Ontario for creativity and all around line-up. Generally, I like everything they put out and I happily buy everyting they put out.

I do prefer GLB for IPA's in terms of flavour, and especially, at their price point ;)

I would drink Bellwood's more often than I do if they were better value to me. I've said all along that they can charge whatever they like and its my choice to buy it or not. I don't think there is any harm in discussing pricing or value. Many people only have so much disposable income and value is important to them when making purchasing decisions.

Portwood comes from a hobby that is much more expensive than craft beer. When your spending g hundreds of dollars on a bottle of scotch and prices are sometimes 50% less in the UK or the US than the price you pay for the same bottles in Ontario, it becomes something that you consider very much.

If he wants to get the most value for his money when purchasing quality beer than that's his perogitive.

Anyways, Bellwood's is one of the best things to happen to beer in Ontario. I do not disagree.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

BakaGaijin wrote:I do prefer GLB for IPA's in terms of flavour, and especially, at (Bellwoods') price point ;).
I don't disagree at all about IPAs, but to me price is hardly the main point of Bellwoods or this thread.

My vote would be to primarily discuss BW's beers here, if you guys are up for that. I'm interested in what's being released, what people's initial impressions are and when to go get them etc. That would be way cooler than primarily complaining, just IMO. Up to you guys.
In Beerum Veritas

walz22

Post by walz22 »

Belgian wrote:
BakaGaijin wrote:I do prefer GLB for IPA's in terms of flavour, and especially, at (Bellwoods') price point ;).
I don't disagree at all about IPAs, but to me price is hardly the main point of Bellwoods or this thread.

My vote would be to primarily discuss BW's beers here, if you guys are up for that. I'm interested in what's being released, what people's initial impressions are and when to go get them etc. That would be way cooler than primarily complaining, just IMO. Up to you guys.
Agreed on all counts.

To get this back on track, I bought my allotment of Skeleton Key last night, cracked one, and despite what I think is a thinner body compared to last year's, I thought it was fantastic and is the perfect drink now that winter decided to show up. Looking forward to seeing how the other 3 develop.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

BakaGaijin wrote:
I was just takin' the piss. Should have included one of these :wink:
way to dig yourself out of the hole. /winkeyface.
I do prefer GLB for IPA's in terms of flavour, and especially, at their price point ;)
cool. you're probably right. except i wouldn't go drinking at GLB on a Friday night. or ever. so i plant my ass at Bellwoods with great frequency until GLB or anyone else opens a brewpub downtown that has staff, beer and atmosphere remotely close to that of Bellwoods.
Belgian wrote:
let people complain/critique...if there's actual validity to their comments and it's not an example of "i smell success! let's bring 'em down!", which i think some people are guilty of doing.
but yeah. having 3 "sours" (Farmageddon, the dry-hopped sour and Motley) plus 2 barrel-aged stouts on tap? 5 years ago, we'd be flagellating ourselves while praying to Ashtaroth to have a local brewery doing this AND to have a TTC-accessible taproom serving it.

let people complain. less of a wait for me on Fridays. /winkeyface /hungoverface

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

having 3 "sours" (Farmageddon, the dry-hopped sour and Motley) plus 2 barrel-aged stouts on tap? 5 years ago, we'd be flagellating ourselves...
Exactly, some effing perspective. Thank you.
In Beerum Veritas