Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Bellwoods Brewery

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

BakaGaijin wrote:I predict Lambda lasts more than a week. Its a great beer.....but you can buy Rochefort 10 for half the price.....
There was quite the stack of it when I went in after work. Definitely no need to panic and run out to buy it. I'm enjoying an after-dinner bottle right now. More brett-forward and funkier than last year. Also they've turned down the sweetness a bit. Definitely not a beer to age as at the one-year mark it was noticeably less better than fresh.

Kind of shocked to see several people in front of me buying 6, 8, 10 bottles even. Definitely don't seem to be enforcing any kind of limit.

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

Agreed. I bet you'll be able to get it while getting next Friday's release.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

I still haven't cracked open a Lambda from the original release....guessing it is drinking nicely now though?

rfrf

Post by rfrf »

Coronaeus wrote:Grabbed some Lambda at noon today. I was told they are trying to limit people to 8 bottles. It didn't sound firm though, at least in the way the cashier phrased it. She also suggested that next week's release would likely be limited to 4, but she wasn't entirely sure.
4000 bottles, 8 limit for 3 Min. until Midnight

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

El Pinguino wrote:I still haven't cracked open a Lambda from the original release....guessing it is drinking nicely now though?
Well, my original memories of lambda were dimmed, but having recently had the original release, I found it was much sweeter and had far less funk than it did originally. The new version of Lamba, I would say, is better than the previous version both today and fresh.

Looking forward to 3 Minutes....

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

For what it's worth, my notes from the original one fresh were "Lots of barrel, nice amount of heat" then from May was "The heat mellowed out and the barrel faded. It's a little sweeter and a little funkier now."

I liked it a lot fresh.

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

So who wants to place bets on how long 3 Minutes to Midnight will last? 4,000 bottles with an 8/person limit means at least 500 people will get it (minus whatever they're holding back). That should take care of most of Bartowel.

Cherry Farmageddon was a 1,000 bottle release with a 4 bottle limit and sold out same-day. I'm going to bet this one makes it into Saturday. Maybe running out late Saturday afternoon.

Other guesses?

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

napoleon wrote:So who wants to place bets on how long 3 Minutes to Midnight will last? 4,000 bottles with an 8/person limit means at least 500 people will get it (minus whatever they're holding back). That should take care of most of Bartowel.

Cherry Farmageddon was a 1,000 bottle release with a 4 bottle limit and sold out same-day. I'm going to bet this one makes it into Saturday. Maybe running out late Saturday afternoon.

Other guesses?
I'm gonna say, under normal circumstances, it would last the same amount of time as MC 15, however, with all their recent releases soaking up disposable income....I think this lasts at least another day or two. Sometime Tuesday or Wednesday.

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

I'm going to say late Saturday afternoon. This is the one people have been waiting for of the four releases.

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

Craig wrote:For what it's worth, my notes from the original one fresh were "Lots of barrel, nice amount of heat" then from May was "The heat mellowed out and the barrel faded. It's a little sweeter and a little funkier now."

I liked it a lot fresh.
much preferred it fresh too

skootles

Post by skootles »

To be honest I preferred it with a little age on it but it was also great fresh.

Just picked up my allotment of 3 Minutes to Midnight. There were only maybe 15 people in line around 11:00 but the majority of them seemed to be grabbing the full 8 bottles.

They also still had the Barrel Aged Monogamy and Lambda in stock, but it's not too surprising. I remember when Lambda first came out it stayed in the bottle shop for a decent amount of time. I remember loving it so much and being perplexed as to why it hadn't all been snapped up quickly.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I don't understand why Lambda sits around either. Maybe because you can get other quads in the 'BO much cheaper, I guess. Lambda is pretty different from a traditional Quad though.

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

Went by this morning around 11:30. Still tons of beer...the shop looks a little overwhelmed. Shortish line. The staff member thought the 3 Minutes would last until Sunday at least.

As for the Lambda, it's good but just less to people's taste. It's quite sweet. The brett barrel aged monogamy was honestly fairly disappointing for me, certainly for a $9 price...I'd pick lots of beers ahead of it.

I was lucky enough to get to try the Grandma's Boy they snuck on tap Sunday/Monday this week. This was their first barrel-aged beer, and I guess they let it age another couple years. It was astonishingly good. I would pay more than $12 for a bottle of that!

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

As an 11:00 AM Friday regular, I'd say the line-up at opening and the line as I left at 11:08 were about the same: 20 or so people maximum. I'd bet a bottle that there will be bottles available tomorrow. It did indeed look like they had a mountain of Lambda left.

As a side note: I noticed that all of my bottles have an identical fill line. I usually notice more variation with Bellwoods. Filled very high too.

gordonpeterwiebe

Post by gordonpeterwiebe »

I had a bottle of the 3 minutes to midnight last night.
Good, but surprisingly light and uncomplicated for a 10% imperial.
So, ultimately, tasty for sure... but, it's definitely not a $12 bottle of beer. I'd much rather have a GLB cherry hoarder for half the price. I'm done taking a chance on their $12 offerings - I really don't think they've ever brewed anything worthy of that price tag (or worthy of a lineup).