Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Bellwoods Brewery

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Craig wrote:Jelly King with Plum and a dark sour ale on cherries are out tomorrow.
The JK Plum looks great and is absolutely fantastic. Tart fruity dry. With the citrusy hopping it almost comes together as a ripe red grapefruit taste with plums and apricots added. Really hits the spot 'cause I've been leaning away from alcohol for a week.
In Beerum Veritas

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Anyone try grandmas boy yet? Is it as good as last year?

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

sofakingdrunk wrote:Anyone try grandmas boy yet? Is it as good as last year?
It's excellent! I'd say very similar to the last batch but a touch better.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

High praise

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I only had the 2014 before it to compare - it was a much different beer then & more like a Tripel in character and strength, deeper and fuller tasting - but the 2017 is still very good, sour and tangy with a lighter feel.

Not something you'd really have to cellar. Just buy a 24 and chug it back watching the game.
In Beerum Veritas

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Belgian wrote:
I only had the 2014 before it to compare - it was a much different beer then & more like a Tripel in character and strength, deeper and fuller tasting - but the 2017 is still very good, sour and tangy with a lighter feel.

Not something you'd really have to cellar. Just buy a 24 and chug it back watching the game.
It's a completely different beer. The label actually says "Batch 2" on it. They probably should have changed the name of the beer last year when they completely redid the recipe...

ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
It's excellent! I'd say very similar to the last batch but a touch better.
I'm right there with you. I grabbed 4 bottles from Hafis this weekend and I too think it's better than the last batch. The guy who was manning the bottle shop told me they saved a couple of barrels from the last batch to blend into this one which was pretty cool to hear.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Good to hear, it was the best beer I had last year. Impressed that they were able to improve it. Hopefully I can make it to Hafis on Friday afternoon

ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

Ghost Orchid is back in the bottle shops with its own label, has been reclassified as an IPA, and apparently has an updated recipe. I hope it's as good as the first batch that went out.

kevinlater

Post by kevinlater »

ChrisK wrote:Ghost Orchid is back in the bottle shops with its own label, has been reclassified as an IPA, and apparently has an updated recipe. I hope it's as good as the first batch that went out.
had a pour of it at hafis yesterday, i found the hop flavours to be a little more vibrant than the first release. really good stuff

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

kevinlater wrote:
ChrisK wrote:Ghost Orchid is back in the bottle shops with its own label, has been reclassified as an IPA, and apparently has an updated recipe. I hope it's as good as the first batch that went out.
had a pour of it at hafis yesterday, i found the hop flavours to be a little more vibrant than the first release. really good stuff
Snagged a few 500's at the Oz shop, outstanding big wonderful aroma on this one. Typical of BW pales it's fairly bitter and dry. Did enjoy.
In Beerum Veritas

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

Had Ghost Orchid on tap today at Arabella, it was good, but honestly, any and all Barncat Pales/IPAs have been better.

Come to think of it, Jutsu is the only hoppy Bellwoods beer that comes close to Barncat. Not saying the Bellwoods beers are bad, they're not, they're still very good, I just prefer hazy, NEIPAs, which is what Barncat does very well.
"There's always money in the banana stand."

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

The PEC IPA from a few weeks back was a great northeast IPA IMO.

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

i am unabashedly a bellwoods stan but honestly, this batch of grandma's boy is something else. seriously next level.

skootles

Post by skootles »

beerstodiscover wrote:The PEC IPA from a few weeks back was a great northeast IPA IMO.
Agreed. I was also a huge fan of the Sacch Trois IIPA.

Picked up a couple of the double dry hopped monogamy with 'hop hash', can't wait to try it.