Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Bellwoods Brewery

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

kevinlater

Post by kevinlater »

you guys absolutely need to try their monogamy double dry hopped idaho 7 hop hash ipa. wow. it's insanely good

ry_kinney

Post by ry_kinney »

kevinlater wrote:you guys absolutely need to try their monogamy double dry hopped idaho 7 hop hash ipa. wow. it's insanely good
I picked up a few yesterday, great beer. Super hoppy and super hazy.

ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

Finally tried a bottle of the new Ghost Orchid. I was told that the only changes to the recipe were increased alcohol and more nelson in the dry hopping, but for whatever reason it has completely fallen flat for me. It's just uninteresting now. Someone I know who also had the first batch said it tasted like onions. I wish they had stuck with the original recipe.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

^ LOL.

Opinions differ. This one to me is better than their average hoppy brew. The cherry-infused ale they had a month ago was an all-time best. The Lacto ale they had smelled like rotten milk. It's all an adventure.
In Beerum Veritas

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Tried Double Dry Hopped Monogamy — WOW. Probably the most resiny, dank IPA I've tried. Hop hash is good stuff. Almost felt like I was drinking some kind of hop nectar.

They have two new ones today: Runes made with "Mosaic lupulin powder" and Milkshark a "Pineapple milkshake-style IPA brewed with lactose sugar and apple pectin, and was conditioned on vanilla and a huge amount of pineapple puree."

It's really hard to resist this stuff.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

Being lactose intolerant I'm not digging the "milkshake" trend right now, as I don't know if it's cloudy due to lack of filtering, high protein/oats, lactose or a combination thereof. Kudos to Bellwoods for putting it right in the beer name and descriptor.
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

kevinlater

Post by kevinlater »

popped into hafis today (as usual), that runes ipa is really good. lots of blueberry flavour coming from the mosaic, but in general it's a delicious and balanced ipa with ample citrus notes, malt backend, bitterness, and body. the milkshark was interesting, very bright and pineapple-juicy with the creamy mouthfeel supposedly characteristic of the milkshake trend? not something i'd have again though

ry_kinney

Post by ry_kinney »

kevinlater wrote:popped into hafis today (as usual), that runes ipa is really good. lots of blueberry flavour coming from the mosaic, but in general it's a delicious and balanced ipa with ample citrus notes, malt backend, bitterness, and body. the milkshark was interesting, very bright and pineapple-juicy with the creamy mouthfeel supposedly characteristic of the milkshake trend? not something i'd have again though
Absolutely loved the Runes IPA, might need to go back and grab some more. Only had a sample of the Milkshark but I have a bottle in the fridge. Tasted great but almost too much like pineapple juice rather than beer lol. Some will love this I suppose.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

I thought Milkshark was really tasty. There's a lot of pineapple there, but the hop presence comes through enough. It's great that we can try a local take on this new style. I'm not a fan of lactose-added beer so I'd probably not want to drink too much of this but damn it's good.

I was never really a big fan of BW's hoppy stuff, but since Hafis opened they've been killing it with the one-offs.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Milkshark is probably going to get all the thunder, but Runes is the way to go.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Milkshark gets maximum style points but I didn't enjoy my second bottle as much as my first. It's still delicious, but I'd take Runes or Double Monogamy over it.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Just finished a C&C IPA which was really nice, tasted very familiar to me....but I can't put my finger on it.
Now just cracked a Ghost Orchid which is excellent. Very tropical tasting hops and a nice body to it. Nice and dry as well. Good stuff

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

beerstodiscover wrote:Tried Double Dry Hopped Monogamy — WOW. Probably the most resiny, dank IPA I've tried. Hop hash is good stuff. Almost felt like I was drinking some kind of hop nectar.
People that aren't convinced they like IPAs will probably hate the bitterness of DDH Monogamy. Even I wasn't convinced I liked it. It is in fact a completely hoppy beer.

I better hop over (!) to grab a Runes so I can try that one, sounds good & still have a Milkshark in the fridge!
In Beerum Veritas

ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

They just got a coolship. I am excite.

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

C-Star also brilliant!