Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Great Lakes

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

Imperial Bout is amazing.

mgmoney

Post by mgmoney »

Had Life sentence on tap at cest what today, thoroughly enjoyable, well balanced and notboozy hot for 10% abv. What are the bottle sizes at the the retail store? Not sure I could finish a bomber by myself
Last edited by mgmoney on Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everytime I learn something new I forget something old...like that time I learned to make wine and then forgot how to drive...

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Life sentence = 473ml cans from at GLB.

mgmoney

Post by mgmoney »

I can handle 473 cans, hate when all special releases are 750ml as usually high in abv and unfortunately I have no one to share with
Everytime I learn something new I forget something old...like that time I learned to make wine and then forgot how to drive...

portwood

Post by portwood »

mgmoney wrote:I can handle 473 cans, hate when all special releases are 750ml as usually high in abv and unfortunately I have no one to share with
I understand the economics behind >500ml bottles/cans but wish all high abv beer came in under 400ml sizes!

IMO, the European 33cl size is perfect, especially for strong beer
@markhamwhisky

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

portwood wrote:
mgmoney wrote:I can handle 473 cans, hate when all special releases are 750ml as usually high in abv and unfortunately I have no one to share with
I understand the economics behind >500ml bottles/cans but wish all high abv beer came in under 400ml sizes!

IMO, the European 33cl size is perfect, especially for strong beer
I agree wholeheartedly. Even when my wife wants to share a big beer with me it usually means a 4 ounce pour.

FYI, there are still a bunch of cans of the Life Sentence and bottles (in too big a format :wink: ) of the Imperial Bout and Cherry Hoarder in the fridge as of 1:30 PM today.

gordonpeterwiebe

Post by gordonpeterwiebe »

I had three life sentences at the monarch the other night... wow, it's a good one! The friend I was with has a bit of a hop allergy (we think, possibly something else in ales/ipas) so he sticks to lighter filtered lagers etc... anyhow, just the smell from my life sentence wafting down the bar got his eyes watering and nose running uncontrollably!
It's much much much better than the iiipa that they collaborated on last year.
Stopped by the GLB retail today to pick up a few cans for home and a bottle of the Imperial Bout.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Life Sentence might be my new favourite hoppy Great Lakes offering.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Life Sentence is a good one, but I suspect it'll have a very short shelf life.

Thanks for hooking me up Craig!

skootles

Post by skootles »

sprague11 wrote:Life Sentence might be my new favourite hoppy Great Lakes offering.
I agree. I just cracked one of mine last night and thought it was fantastic. Not insanely hoppy or bitter like other IIIPAs I've had.

CoolB

Post by CoolB »

I genuinely wish I lived closer to this brewery. I've loved every IPA offering I've tried from them. Even the saison du pump was a nice change on a pumpkin beer.

Cheers
You know what I have in my cellar? Dust, I have dust in my cellar.

skootles

Post by skootles »

Looks like GLB has started a new twitter account to show what's in stock in their retail store:

https://twitter.com/glbretail

Definitely a good idea in my opinion.

MeltedOzark

Post by MeltedOzark »

They're tapping a keg of a ghost pepper stout called Casper's Tears today. Definitely stopping by to try that one.

I've said it in this thread before, but to anyone that has trouble making it to the brewery - I live right down the road from GLB and stop there regularly on my way home from work. Would be happy to trade for what you want or just buy extras for you. Just shoot me a PM.

Cadbury102

Post by Cadbury102 »

I stopped in the retail store today. The ghost pepper stout was very enjoyable. Not as spicy as I would have imagined. Apparently they put only the pepper skin into the brewing process rather than the actual peppers. Might have been interesting to have had some of the peppers in it. Still, I thought it was a very nice pepper beer.

Picked up some Life Sentence as well, as I've been loving it. I think it's my favourite brew of theirs, hands down. I wish they would make it year round!

skootles

Post by skootles »

They also have a new Instagram account in the same vain as that new Twitter account:

https://www.instagram.com/glbretail/

Also a new Black Ale with orange peels in the shop called Orange Is The New Black. Very small batch, only 3 cases apparently.