Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Great Lakes

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Pub Style
Bar Fly

Post by Pub Style »

From the GLB website blog:

Tomorrow, Friday (Feb 12), Great Lakes Brewery (GLB) turns 29 years old. It was on February 12, 1987 that the business was incorporated in the province of Ontario with the first batch of beer produced in December.

To celebrate the anniversary GLB will be offering customers free GLB cake beginning at 12 noon. We will also be pouring some pretty big Imperial Stouts! People visiting the store can sample* the following beers for only $2 each (please note that bottles will NOT be available for sale):

- The Imperial Bout (Imperial Vanilla Bean Coffee Stout) [Collab w/ Station Cold Brew Coffee)
- 25th Anniversary Bourbon Barrel-Aged Russian Imperial Stout
- Behind the Wavy Wall Imperial Stout
- Bourbon Barrel-Aged Imperial Solstice Stout (NEW)

Also, throughout the day, beginning at 7:01am and ending at 9:30pm, our social media feeds (Twitter and Facebook) will be pushing out 29 different interesting facts about GLB. Every 29 minutes will feature a fact along with a memorable image from years past. We will be using #GLBturns29 hash-tag to catalogue each tweet. Please feel free to share some of your favourite GLB memories using this hash-tag. We’d love to hear from you.

Thank you for all of your support over the 29 years. We appreciate each and every one of you who embrace #FreshGLB!

*Please note – again, just to confirm, these four beers will NOT be available for sale. Samples only.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Nice, going to have to stop by and grab a bottle of the new Bourbon Barrel-Aged Imperial Solstice Stout tomorrow!
:evil: hehe. Never tried the Wavy Wall actually...and I only have 1 bottle left of the 25th anniversary RIS....may be worth a visit for the free cake and samples.

Pub Style
Bar Fly

Post by Pub Style »

El Pinguino wrote:Nice, going to have to stop by and grab a bottle of the new Bourbon Barrel-Aged Imperial Solstice Stout tomorrow!
:evil: hehe. Never tried the Wavy Wall actually...and I only have 1 bottle left of the 25th anniversary RIS....may be worth a visit for the free cake and samples.
Just samples today... Solstice bottles wont be available to purchase.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I'm really looking forward to getting a bottle of all four of those. Can't wait.

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

Yeah really excited to buy bottles as well!

walz22

Post by walz22 »

Looks like Thrust will be back in the GLB retail store on Friday, according to their twitter

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

walz22 wrote:Looks like Thrust will be back in the GLB retail store on Friday, according to their twitter
Gonna have to grab some bottles of that one too.
:wink:

walz22

Post by walz22 »

From GLB's twitter, it looks like Solstice and another mystery Tank Ten beer will be released alongside Thrust tomorrow... Looks like it'll be a good release day at Great Lakes!

mattg

Post by mattg »

Kinda looks like a can of Apocalypse Later - based on that out of focus photo??

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

Solstice is also coming to the LCBO, but I think its a pretty small bottle run

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Is that the BBA Solstice?

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

Craig wrote:Is that the BBA Solstice?
yes

MeltedOzark

Post by MeltedOzark »

mattg wrote:Kinda looks like a can of Apocalypse Later - based on that out of focus photo??
You are right, it is Apocalypse Later.

How convenient that I love down the road from the brewery and I booked tomorrow off work for Winter Brewfest....

Pub Style
Bar Fly

Post by Pub Style »

PeenSteen wrote:Solstice is also coming to the LCBO, but I think its a pretty small bottle run
Not anymore. Just at the GLB retail store now.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Craig wrote:Is that the BBA Solstice?
You coming back Kingston way anytime soon?