Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Great Lakes

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Maybe over Easter, but I don't think I'll make it to GL in time to get some.

Bielawg

Post by Bielawg »

I was told by GLB staff today that they have around 5000 bottles so it should stick around for a while. I gotta commend GLB for not only releasing great beers, but making enough of them to go around.

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

Bielawg wrote:I was told by GLB staff today that they have around 5000 bottles so it should stick around for a while. I gotta commend GLB for not only releasing great beers, but making enough of them to go around.
No limits though. I saw 5 different people take a case of 12 of Solstice out the door during the short time I was there this morning. I wouldn't wait too long... but you are probably right that it will last a a while.

beerguykw

Post by beerguykw »

this morning? do you people not have jobs? :o

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Bielawg wrote:I was told by GLB staff today that they have around 5000 bottles so it should stick around for a while. I gotta commend GLB for not only releasing great beers, but making enough of them to go around.
I heard a number a lot lower than that. That being said, they expect it to last a week or more.

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

beerguykw wrote:this morning? do you people not have jobs? :o

The problem with jobs is that they cut into your beer release schedule.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

The batch of thrust they did this time comes in two varieties, one done with west coast ale yeast, the other with Vermont. Very cool, I want to try them side by side.

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

Craig wrote:The batch of thrust they did this time comes in two varieties, one done with west coast ale yeast, the other with Vermont. Very cool, I want to try them side by side.

Can one differentiate the versions by the character in the spaceship on the can?

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

Ah! I see. The Vermont yeast version is in growlers.

Damnit! I guess I need to drive across town again.

Cadbury102

Post by Cadbury102 »

They had both versions of Thrust on tap, side by side. I tried them both, and the only difference I noticed was that the Vermont version was a bit smoother. I really couldn't detect any differences in the taste or smell. But, perhaps I'm not refined enough to taste the difference. Still, it was great to have them side by side, and they are both fantastic.

Can anyone taste the difference between the two?

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Drinking both versions of Thrust side-by-side tonight (can vs. growler).

First thing to note is that for me the flavour this version seems muted overall. Less juicy/fruity than usual.

In terms of the comparison, the difference is HUGE. Regular Thrust has a sharper bitterness and less citrus/tropical fruit notes. The Vermont ale yeast version is smoother/rounder with the flavours coming together better and slightly more robust fruit aromas/flavour.

All in all, I think the Vermont yeast version is about a one-quarter point better.

This was a lot of fun. I have done a lot of side-by-side beer comparisons but to date they've all beer vintage tastings or regular vs. BA tasting. This was a fun change of pace.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Cadbury102 wrote:They had both versions of Thrust on tap, side by side. I tried them both, and the only difference I noticed was that the Vermont version was a bit smoother. I really couldn't detect any differences in the taste or smell. But, perhaps I'm not refined enough to taste the difference. Still, it was great to have them side by side, and they are both fantastic.

Can anyone taste the difference between the two?
if fermented properly, the Vermont strain will give more fruit (peaches) and it somehow gives a very nice mouthfeel. but it's such a finicky yeast (narrow fermentation range, can stall out easily or give nasty esters if temps aren't hit) that it's a pain to use.
if you don't bump the temps up properly at the end, it won't attenuate completely. and the 1-2 points in gravity that you miss? you'll really taste.
that's zero reflection on how Thrust tastes. that's just the Vermont yeast

Pub Style
Bar Fly

Post by Pub Style »

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to post a couple of clarifying things.

Bourbon Barrel-Aged Imperial Solstice Stout - We have approxiamtely 2500 bottles left...

THRUST! an IPA (vermont yeast): Only available in growlers and on tap. The two different characters on the cans are just for fun.

THRUST! an IPA: About 700 units left but more coming late this week.

ckoop

Post by ckoop »

Pub Style wrote:Hi Everyone,

Bourbon Barrel-Aged Imperial Solstice Stout - We have approxiamtely 2500 bottles left...

THRUST! an IPA (vermont yeast): Only available in growlers and on tap. The two different characters on the cans are just for fun.

is thrust coming to the lcbo in cans?

kevinlater

Post by kevinlater »

ckoop wrote:
Pub Style wrote:Hi Everyone,

is thrust coming to the lcbo in cans?
a glb rep at the brewfest told me thrust is coming to the lcbo. don't know what format though