Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Great Lakes

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

I'd agree, far proffered limp puppet to sunny side. If in the mood for a more sessionable Great Lakes beer I'll just grab some Canuck.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

I prefer the Sunnyside to Limp Puppet. It has a cleaner, brighter, and more robust hop profile, and a bit more body than the Puppet, which at times can be thin/watery. The Puppet also has a weird yeastiness to it that I don't enjoy (and I'm not looking for in a Session IPA). Sunnyside is the superior beer IMO, and I'm glad to see it returning. But to each his own.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

I also prefer SS to LP, but I dislike Session IPA's in general. I find the hops are too lemony.

sstackho
Bar Fly

Post by sstackho »

Lake Effect is drinking just as nicely as the Karma Citra, i.e. very nicely. Love having these in the cans.

Anyone know what are the main hops in the Lake Effect?

GtownRandy

Post by GtownRandy »

sstackho wrote:Lake Effect is drinking just as nicely as the Karma Citra, i.e. very nicely. Love having these in the cans.

Anyone know what are the main hops in the Lake Effect?
their website says only: "a variety of fresh hops from the Pacific Northwest"

GtownRandy

Post by GtownRandy »

Great Lakes gets a new 7 barrel pilot brewing system for new and experimental beers:

http://www.canadianbeernews.com/2017/01 ... ot-system/

kevinlater

Post by kevinlater »

cans of the new "Meanwhile...Down in Moxee" NE-style IPA will be available in their retail store tomorrow!

http://www.greatlakesbeer.com/beer/mean ... moxee-ipa/

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

awesome!

ry_kinney

Post by ry_kinney »

I guess it's the El Dorado hops but am I wrong in thinking Meanwhile doesn't taste like a NE IPA? It's a decent beer but not what I expected, more along the lines of a Belgian IPA.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

ry_kinney wrote:I guess it's the El Dorado hops but am I wrong in thinking Meanwhile doesn't taste like a NE IPA? It's a decent beer but not what I expected, more along the lines of a Belgian IPA.
Belgian IPA? So you taste Belgian yeast notes? I am going to have to get my hands on a can of this to taste for myself.

GtownRandy

Post by GtownRandy »

I've never had a trillium or tree house, so I don't know how they compare to those, but I definitely didn't think Belgian at all. It is fruity and grassy on the nose, looks hazy, and fruity, hoppy and medium high bitter on the palate. My wife said it's the closest she has found to her holy grail, Troegs nimble giant

GtownRandy

Post by GtownRandy »

BTW they had apocalypse later black ipa (10% abv, 100+ ibu) in stock $5.00/can

Robohop cans coming soon too

jp_jkl

Post by jp_jkl »

I thought Left Field's recent Vermont style IPA, Laser Show, was a lot closer to a New England style IPA than GLB's Meanwhile... Down in Moxee. It's a great IPA regardless.

Pub Style
Bar Fly

Post by Pub Style »

Napalm Frog wrote:I was pretty hooked on Limp Puppet when it was out. Did Sunnyside simply replace that one?
We didn't say it wasn't coming back :)

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

ry_kinney wrote:I guess it's the El Dorado hops but am I wrong in thinking Meanwhile doesn't taste like a NE IPA? It's a decent beer but not what I expected, more along the lines of a Belgian IPA.
So I've had a few cans now, and I taste it too. I didn't notice so much when I had the first couple within a day or two of canning, but at 3 weeks old some yeast driven fruitiness seems to be coming through. Definitely getting a bit of a Belgian ale vibe, there's a bit of spice and witbier-like fruity esters. The initial tropical fruits from the hops seem to fade really quickly, but it's evolved in an interesting way. Almost a different beer.