Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Great Lakes

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

ry_kinney

Post by ry_kinney »

seangm wrote:
ry_kinney wrote:I guess it's the El Dorado hops but am I wrong in thinking Meanwhile doesn't taste like a NE IPA? It's a decent beer but not what I expected, more along the lines of a Belgian IPA.
So I've had a few cans now, and I taste it too. I didn't notice so much when I had the first couple within a day or two of canning, but at 3 weeks old some yeast driven fruitiness seems to be coming through. Definitely getting a bit of a Belgian ale vibe, there's a bit of spice and witbier-like fruity esters. The initial tropical fruits from the hops seem to fade really quickly, but it's evolved in an interesting way. Almost a different beer.
I bought 3 cans and my first and third had the Belgian vibes. Second can tasted totally different, tropical IPA flavours as intended.

How are Robohop and Octopus tasting? I haven't had a chance to pick either up yet!

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Octopus is tasty. Nice and fruity. Actually a little more fruity than last time I think. For me though, it's not As good as their other ipa. Karma/thrust/lake effect. A level below

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

Meanwhile... was a bit misstep for GLB. Not at all as advertised. It faded extremely quick as well. Not sure what they were thinking there in calling it a NEIPA, other than the Vermont yeast... but it definitely had a Belgian IPA vibes.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

ry_kinney wrote:
seangm wrote:
ry_kinney wrote:I guess it's the El Dorado hops but am I wrong in thinking Meanwhile doesn't taste like a NE IPA? It's a decent beer but not what I expected, more along the lines of a Belgian IPA.
So I've had a few cans now, and I taste it too. I didn't notice so much when I had the first couple within a day or two of canning, but at 3 weeks old some yeast driven fruitiness seems to be coming through. Definitely getting a bit of a Belgian ale vibe, there's a bit of spice and witbier-like fruity esters. The initial tropical fruits from the hops seem to fade really quickly, but it's evolved in an interesting way. Almost a different beer.
I bought 3 cans and my first and third had the Belgian vibes. Second can tasted totally different, tropical IPA flavours as intended.

How are Robohop and Octopus tasting? I haven't had a chance to pick either up yet!
Octopus is nice, although I find it to be one of their more mild IPAs. I'm not sure if it's just my palate lately, but I've found Canuck to be just as flavourful albeit with a different hop profile (fresh Canuck is one of my favourite locals). Haven't tried the latest Robohop though, waiting for it to hit a nearby LCBO.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Octopus is confounding me. I grabbed a few cans. One was really nice.

The others are all over the map. One came off like a spoiled Duvel or something.

The worst is the one I'm having now. The aroma reminds me of burnt tires and the crappy tinned smoked oysters my wife has on her guilty pleasures menu.

I don't want my IPA to smell like that shit. Why can't it smell like all those beautiful hops that were supposedly used?

The confounding part is the inconsistency. I really have never had Great Lakes products come off so messy. They are so good at consistency, at the very least in can to can of the same batch.

Maybe it''s the Belgian yeast thing, in which case, please guys, learn, move on and source your yeast somewhere more reliable.

Yech, I am closer to a drain pour than I have ever been. Do I keep drinking this nasty smoked oyster, or do I go grab myself a beer.?

...pour
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Tapsucker wrote:Octopus is confounding me. I grabbed a few cans. One was really nice.

The others are all over the map. One came off like a spoiled Duvel or something.

The worst is the one I'm having now. The aroma reminds me of burnt tires and the crappy tinned smoked oysters my wife has on her guilty pleasures menu.

I don't want my IPA to smell like that shit. Why can't it smell like all those beautiful hops that were supposedly used?

The confounding part is the inconsistency. I really have never had Great Lakes products come off so messy. They are so good at consistency, at the very least in can to can of the same batch.

Maybe it''s the Belgian yeast thing, in which case, please guys, learn, move on and source your yeast somewhere more reliable.

Yech, I am closer to a drain pour than I have ever been. Do I keep drinking this nasty smoked oyster, or do I go grab myself a beer.?

...pour
I've had another can since my post on Monday and agree with the inconsistency. It seemed almost sweet, mostly malty as if a bunch of the hops were missing. I don't think it was me, as it was the first beer I had that evening. I probably won't buy anymore of the current codes on shelf since something seems off right now. When does Karma come back? lol

mgmoney

Post by mgmoney »

Lake Effectt canned date feb 18 is still drinking phenomenal to me. Octopus has been fairly consistent for me...not as bitter as last year but overall pretty consistent both in cans and on tap.
Everytime I learn something new I forget something old...like that time I learned to make wine and then forgot how to drive...

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

The case of octopus I order online is awesome. What dates are your cans?

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Masterplan wrote:The case of octopus I order online is awesome. What dates are your cans?
Stupidly I threw them all into the recycling together without making note of it. Found another one I forgot I had in the fridge and it drank nicely but the code was smudged and I couldn't read it; still felt subdued compared to what I remember from last year, but it could just be all the Lake Effect I was drinking just before Octopus came out. Maybe I'm just going crazy?

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Lake effect was/is significAntly better than octo. So yeah, may just be more noticeable when basically doing a side by side c

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Awesome selection at the brewery this weekend. Karma Citra, Blackberry farmhouse ale, lemon-lime wit and more. Grabbed a mixed 6 and a bomber of chocolate coffee imperial stout for under $30.

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

beerstodiscover wrote:Awesome selection at the brewery this weekend. Karma Citra, Blackberry farmhouse ale, lemon-lime wit and more. Grabbed a mixed 6 and a bomber of chocolate coffee imperial stout for under $30.
That blackberry saison was pretty gross and the lemon-lime wit wasn't much better. The ACTRA collab was boring. However, I did enjoy the choclate coffee imperial stout and Karma Citra is usually good.

Having lot's of selection is not always a good thing.

portwood

Post by portwood »

BakaGaijin wrote:Having lot's of selection is not always a good thing.
True, but it keeps people coming in for the next untappd tick .... and while they're there pick up a few can/bottles of the boring stuff that pay the bills.

GL has the advantage of listing all of their core and some limited editions at the 'BO. For most other breweries with limited 'BO exposure, the need to constantly turn out new releases in order to keep their name top of mind is unavoidable.
@markhamwhisky

BeerIsGood

Post by BeerIsGood »

I've been drinking a fair amount of the Karma Citra since returning to Canada and must say I consider it exceptional. One of the best IPA's I've had from Ontario

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

This batch was outstanding. It's funny how variable their IPAs can be from year to year.