Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Great Lakes

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Dennis

Post by Dennis »

Pub Style wrote:
talon_d wrote:
Craig wrote:Upcoming LCBO release of Lake Effect in cans. Hopefully it gets out nice and fresh, I think LE is my favourite of their IPAs.
Saw some cans being delivered to C'est What? yesterday and then saw a pic on insta later that day where one of the cans was actually filled with harry porter. Hopefully they sort that out!
Quite literally a very very isolated incident.
Good to hear. Looking forward to Lake Effect hitting the shelves.

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

Pub Style wrote:
talon_d wrote:
Craig wrote:Upcoming LCBO release of Lake Effect in cans. Hopefully it gets out nice and fresh, I think LE is my favourite of their IPAs.
ASaw some cans being delivered to C'est What? yesterday and then saw a pic on insta later that day where one of the cans was actually filled with harry porter. Hopefully they sort that out!
I wouldn't mind some Lake Effect cans filled with Apocalypse Much Later! Any chance of that?!? Ha ha. Apocalypse Much Later needs to be released again. So good!

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

BakaGaijin wrote:
Pub Style wrote:
talon_d wrote:
ASaw some cans being delivered to C'est What? yesterday and then saw a pic on insta later that day where one of the cans was actually filled with harry porter. Hopefully they sort that out!
I wouldn't mind some Lake Effect cans filled with Apocalypse Much Later! Any chance of that?!? Ha ha. Apocalypse Much Later needs to be released again. So good!
Seconded.
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Great Lakes Beer CDN ‏@GreatLakesBeer 2h2 hours ago
NEW BEER ALERT in #GLBretail fridge right now!!

#HarryPorter & the Cherry Hoarder

$9.95 and lots to go around!

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Great Lakes Beer CDN ‏@GreatLakesBeer 2h2 hours ago
Friday is gonna be a good day...

The #GLBretail store will be a good destination, around 12 noon.

I wonder what's on the way?

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Craig wrote:Great Lakes Beer CDN ‏@GreatLakesBeer 2h2 hours ago
Friday is gonna be a good day...

The #GLBretail store will be a good destination, around 12 noon.

I wonder what's on the way?
If it's the Imperial Bout, the coffee version of Wavy Wall, then ISO!!

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

Could it be Life Sentence....the triple IPA brewed with Amsterdam????

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

BakaGaijin wrote:Could it be Life Sentence....the triple IPA brewed with Amsterdam????
That's in the brite tank right now according to twitter, so it's possible.

MeltedOzark

Post by MeltedOzark »

I would be very happy if it's Imperial Bout, had it on the weekend at the Wooly tap takeover, it was delicious.

ScienceKiller

Post by ScienceKiller »

Craig wrote:
BakaGaijin wrote:Could it be Life Sentence....the triple IPA brewed with Amsterdam????
That's in the brite tank right now according to twitter, so it's possible.
According to an Amsterdam email that just came out, it is Life Sentence.

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

http://greatlakesbeer.com/index.php/lif ... amsterdam/
15 DEC LIFE SENTENCE IIIPA – COLLAB B/T GREAT LAKES & AMSTERDAM
Posted at 15:22h in News by Great Lakes Beer
0 Likes

Great Lakes Brewery and Amsterdam Brewery Team Up Again For Collaboration Release – Life Sentence IIIPA

Life Sentence IIIPA_poster_low-resToronto, ON (December 15, 2015) – Two of Toronto’s oldest independently owned and operated craft breweries, Great Lakes Brewery (2013 & 2014 Canadian Brewery of the Year) and Amsterdam Brewery, are set to release the third beer in their ongoing collaboration series this Friday December 18 – Life Sentence IIIPA.

This beer was brewed in collaboration with Amsterdam at Great Lakes on October 30th and features 100kg of late harvest Chinook hops, which was added in its entirety to the whirlpool of this 3000 litre batch. The Chinook hops come from Yakima, Washington, an area known for their world class hops.

During the trip to Yakima, Amsterdam Brewery was fortunate enough to be offered hop selection and got to experience all different varieties found in different lots across the Yakima Valley. “I was blown away by the late harvest Chinook hops than any other hops on the trip. The dense, dank and almost Mosaic aroma had a piney backdrop that I’ve never seen in Chinook before,” noted Iain McOustra, Brewmaster at Amsterdam Brewery.

Iain also points out that the aromatics that can sometimes be lost with processing are still very prevalent with a bail this fresh. The fresh natural flavour of the late harvest Chinook hops really stand out.

“Iain is normally such a calm, cool, collected and impressive brewmaster (and man) – so when he called from Yakima Valley with an tinge of excitement in his voice saying he had dibs on a bail of late harvest Chinook for this year’s Life Sentence, it piqued my interest to say the least,” said Mike Lackey, Head Brewer at Great Lakes Brewery.

The tasting notes:
This collab beer pours a lovely burnt orange with a snowy white head that begs to be instagrammed. Swirl the glass around to experience a wide range of amazing aromas – pineapple, lychee, grapefruit, pine resin, juicy fruit bubblegum, nerd candies and then the dankness comes out. And that’s just the hops. A touch of sweetness (honey) from the malts alongside a gentle whiff of alcohol notes.

Life Sentence IIIPA starts off with a punch of sweetness that almost immediately gives way to a big battering of hops like being hit with a ball and chain from the leg of a skeleton. Big pine presence meshed in with a healthy dose of tropical fruits (kiwi, grapefruit). For 10% and 100+ IBUs, this behemoth IIIPA has a soft mouthfeel with a pleasant level of carbonation that helps tame the 100kg of hops. Juicy in the middle, finishing bone-dry.

The 10.0% beer will retail for $5 (473ml can) and $120 a case at the GLB retail store starting this Friday December 18th at precisely 12:00pm. It will also be on tap at the Amsterdam Brewhouse on Queen’s Quay West in limited quantities. There will also be a number of kegs at select bars and restaurants across Ontario with plans to tap on December 18th.

This is the third large release collaboration beer between the two Toronto breweries in as many years. In the spring of 2013, both breweries brewed a Leipziger Gose and called it Maverick & Gose, which was a huge hit with craft beer drinkers across Ontario. Then in 2014 it was Ezra: Cider Barrel-Aged Farmhouse Ale that is still developing character in the bottle.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Turns out it's both!

The Imperial Bout, Imperial Cold Brew Coffee Vanilla Stout $11.95 (bomber)
Life Sentence IIIPA $5.00 (can)

Good day to hit up the brewery store.

jp_jkl

Post by jp_jkl »

Craig wrote:Turns out it's both!

The Imperial Bout, Imperial Cold Brew Coffee Vanilla Stout $11.95 (bomber)
Life Sentence IIIPA $5.00 (can)

Good day to hit up the brewery store.
Between this and BYOD, today is going to hurt my wallet.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Anyone in the Guelph/KW/London area that can get me 2 bottles of the Bout will be paid in full plus free beer on top. Let me know!

distr0

Post by distr0 »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:Anyone in the Guelph/KW/London area that can get me 2 bottles of the Bout will be paid in full plus free beer on top. Let me know!
I got you, pmd