Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Great Lakes

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Great Lakes Beer CDN ‏@GreatLakesBeer 47m47 minutes ago
Two NEW #ProjectX beers in the #GLBretail fridge!

#FreshGLB

http://greatlakesbeer.com/index.php/glb-fridge/

ckoop

Post by ckoop »

is anyone else shocked that BA solstice is still in stock? i remember thinking when that was getting released that I was going to miss it and being pleasantly surprised when i grabbed it a week later. but still there almost two months later! shocking for such a delicious beer. i guess since it doesn't have a bellwoods label it's getting overlooked, but I'd take that stout over the last couple I had from bellwoods in a heart beat (and I really enjoyed skeleton key).

maybe that $15 threshold is too much for a lot of people to stomach? or maybe because it has no trade value people aren't buying way more than they need?

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

ckoop wrote:is anyone else shocked that BA solstice is still in stock? i remember thinking when that was getting released that I was going to miss it and being pleasantly surprised when i grabbed it a week later. but still there almost two months later! shocking for such a delicious beer. i guess since it doesn't have a bellwoods label it's getting overlooked, but I'd take that stout over the last couple I had from bellwoods in a heart beat (and I really enjoyed skeleton key).

maybe that $15 threshold is too much for a lot of people to stomach? or maybe because it has no trade value people aren't buying way more than they need?
My guess is GLB brews larger volume than Bellwoods and given the price the demand isn't there.

Also I'd hazard to guess GLB's clientele are more Ale drinkers and hop heads than big beer drinkers, so they might grab one with their flat of Thrust or Octopus.

But I agree it's a good offering.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

They're also harder to get to, which would dissuade a lot of people going out just for a bottle or two. Of they were selling off Ossington, I bet that particular beer would be moving faster. But then you'd get less guys showing up to get multiple cases of IPAs too.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

While it's fun to get caught up in a 24 hour rush to get beer, I much prefer good stuff being around longer (especially as an out of towner).

MeltedOzark

Post by MeltedOzark »

I've been very happy about Solstice being in stock for so long. I bought 5 when it first became available, 3 of which were allocated for friends. After trying it I've been stopping by on my way home from work whenever I can to grab another bottle. I now have 6 stashed away at home. A lot easier than buying a whole case of $15 bottles at once. Probably going to crack one tonight.

kevinlater

Post by kevinlater »

best date code style so far?

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

kevinlater wrote: best date code style so far?
I assume the "ON" and "16" got mushed at the end of each line?

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

ckoop wrote:is anyone else shocked that BA solstice is still in stock? i remember thinking when that was getting released that I was going to miss it and being pleasantly surprised when i grabbed it a week later. but still there almost two months later! shocking for such a delicious beer. i guess since it doesn't have a bellwoods label it's getting overlooked, but I'd take that stout over the last couple I had from bellwoods in a heart beat (and I really enjoyed skeleton key).

It is far harder for most downtown residents to acquire GLB beer than Bellwoods sadly. GLB is hard to get to by transit and doesn't have the best hours for working people. For me it's an hour by transit each and hours of 10-6 PM is pretty tough for anyone working normal hours.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

napoleon wrote:

It is far harder for most downtown residents to acquire GLB beer than Bellwoods sadly. GLB is hard to get to by transit and doesn't have the best hours for working people. For me it's an hour by transit each and hours of 10-6 PM is pretty tough for anyone working normal hours.
But on the flip side, it is a lot easier for people like myself who live west of the city.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

My wallet doesn't mind that I miss out on many GLB beers because of their location, or weekday releases. But if I really want to make the effort, I will...

Random GLB question - do they still have that hearse vehicle? Or did they get rid of it when they killed off Devil's Pale Ale?

Pub Style
Bar Fly

Post by Pub Style »

El Pinguino wrote:My wallet doesn't mind that I miss out on many GLB beers because of their location, or weekday releases. But if I really want to make the effort, I will...

Random GLB question - do they still have that hearse vehicle? Or did they get rid of it when they killed off Devil's Pale Ale?
The hearse is still around...

Pub Style
Bar Fly

Post by Pub Style »

We brewed and package A LOT.

We have been working on doing larger releases over the last year. That's why you're seeing 10,000 cans of THRUST being released these days instead of only 2500 that we'd do only a year ago.

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

There is a chocolate cherry Quad in the fridges at GLB as of about 10:00 AM this morning. Also, April 12th canned OWTF. Unless there is more in the back, only a few bottles of the quad remained when I left. I believe it was released yesterday.

MeltedOzark

Post by MeltedOzark »

Just opened a Solstice that seems to have lost it's seal. There wasn't a noise when I opened it and the beer is pretty flat. Not all that bad since the beer is still delicious but still a bit disappointing. This is the second one I've opened and the first to have this issue. Anyone else experiencing this?