Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Nickel Brook Brewing

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

admviolin

Post by admviolin »

walz22 wrote:
rfrf wrote:
skootles wrote:When does Kentucky Bastard usually come out again?

just got a 4 pack of BB at King/Spadina LCBO today.
Still $9.95?
Just grabbed one tonight....price is still $9.95 can't find a date code anywhere on it but let's assume this is new stock ;)

Grey

Post by Grey »

admviolin wrote:Just grabbed one tonight....price is still $9.95 can't find a date code anywhere on it but let's assume this is new stock ;)
I picked one (so far) up as well... $9.95 makes this an easy buy for me, and now that Wellington has shot up to $3.45 a can, I'll only be buying BB as long as it's in stock. :D

Winter is Coming

Post by Winter is Coming »

I can't wait to do a side by side review of both Bolshevik Bastard and Kentucky Bastard, two of my favourite stouts. I only wish I had held onto a final bottle of Winey Bastard from earlier this year.

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

Winter is Coming wrote:I can't wait to do a side by side review of both Bolshevik Bastard and Kentucky Bastard, two of my favourite stouts. I only wish I had held onto a final bottle of Winey Bastard from earlier this year.
I tried Winey recently.....it was a bottle from two years ago. It was a bit sour. Is this how it normally tastes or was it off?!?

Winter is Coming

BakaGaijin wrote:
Winter is Coming wrote:I can't wait to do a side by side review of both Bolshevik Bastard and Kentucky Bastard, two of my favourite stouts. I only wish I had held onto a final bottle of Winey Bastard from earlier this year.
I tried Winey recently.....it was a bottle from two years ago. It was a bit sour. Is this how it normally tastes or was it off?!?
I've only had last years version and it definitely had a sour vinous characteristic which can be attributed to the red wine barrels it was aged in.

MeltedOzark

Post by MeltedOzark »

I was at the brewery about two weeks ago and picked one up. Could be worth a phone call if you really want one.

Winter is Coming

MeltedOzark wrote:
I was at the brewery about two weeks ago and picked one up. Could be worth a phone call if you really want one.
I may just do that. I don't live in the GTA but i've been planning on swinging down for a day to hit a bunch of breweries that i've never visited (Bellwoods, Great Lakes, Nickel Brook, Amsterdam).

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

Winter is Coming wrote:
MeltedOzark wrote:
I may just do that. I don't live in the GTA but i've been planning on swinging down for a day to hit a bunch of breweries that i've never visited (Bellwoods, Great Lakes, Nickel Brook, Amsterdam).
Unless you happen to be driving through Burlington on your way into Toronto I wouldn't recommend driving all the way out to Nickel Brook. Just not worth the extra drive IMO.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

BakaGaijin wrote:
Probably off. I love NB, but they've had an infection problem for a while. Winey, Kentucky, 11:05 2013 and Cuvee have all soured, likely unintentionally, the last 2-3 years. Some "mistakes" work. Some don't. Only Winey was supposed to be Bretty, I believe, but not lactic (correct me if I'm mistaken). The Kentucky shouldn't have been sour and wasn't great. The Winey was interesting, as the sour started working with the Brett and wine barrel, especially with more age on it. The Cuvee, with Brett and a lactic sourness, was a phenomenal combo, IMO, intentional or not. My cellared bottles are precious.

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

boney wrote:
BakaGaijin wrote:
Probably off. I love NB, but they've had an infection problem for a while. Winey, Kentucky, 11:05 2013 and Cuvee have all soured, likely unintentionally, the last 2-3 years. Some "mistakes" work. Some don't. Only Winey was supposed to be Bretty, I believe, but not lactic (correct me if I'm mistaken). The Kentucky shouldn't have been sour and wasn't great. The Winey was interesting, as the sour started working with the Brett and wine barrel, especially with more age on it. The Cuvee, with Brett and a lactic sourness, was a phenomenal combo, IMO, intentional or not. My cellared bottles are precious.
Makes sense. I believe they plan on using the Burlington location now for funky stuff and everything else will be brewed in Hamilton to avoid any potential contamination.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

The original 11.05, which has soured, is considerably better now than it was fresh.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Craig wrote:The original 11.05, which has soured, is considerably better now than it was fresh.
the barley wine?

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

matt7215 wrote:
Craig wrote:The original 11.05, which has soured, is considerably better now than it was fresh.
the barley wine?
Yeah

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

That is good to hear. I've been holding on to a few bottles waiting to read a good review. The one I tried about 6 months from bottling was terrible.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Facebook page said Kentucky bastard is shipping to lcbos tomorow