Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Nickel Brook Brewing

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

Provost Drunk wrote:
BakaGaijin wrote:^^^^
According to the label, they literally threw coffee beans in barrels of Kentucky Bastard, so that would be bourbon. I had a sample and it was really good. A lot of coffee. Bourbon was quite subdued. I would need to drink more to give more insight, however, I definately recommend picking up a bottle. Pretty much the same price point per ml as most Bellwood's barrel aged beers.
Sounds promising.I think I prefer classic Bolshevik to Kentucky Bastard so I could probably get in on a more coffee-forward version. Not sure I'll be able to get out to Burlington in time though. Shame this one isn't headed to the LCBO.
Its probably very limited quantities. Would'nt make sense to put it in the LCBO.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

I picked up 2 batardos last week then forgot them in my rental car when I returned it....hope someone else was able to appreciate them over the holidays!

skootles

Post by skootles »

Anyone have an idea when/if Winey Bastard is coming out?

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

Kentucky Bastard wins RateBeer's Best Ontario Beer for 2015:
http://www.ratebeer.com/ratebeerbest/Be ... te2016.asp

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

that's... surprising

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

BakaGaijin wrote:Kentucky Bastard wins RateBeer's Best Ontario Beer for 2015:
That's great, kudos to Nickelbrook!

Winter is Coming

Post by Winter is Coming »

El Pinguino wrote:
BakaGaijin wrote:Kentucky Bastard wins RateBeer's Best Ontario Beer for 2015:
That's great, kudos to Nickelbrook!
Well deserved, Old Kentucky as well as the other Bastard variants are all great beers. Lets just hope this doesn't drive NB to up the price of a bottle another dollar for next years release.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

jeremyg wrote:that's... surprising
well, they did give Speedway Stout w/vietnamese coffee the award for best Californian beer. so take that as it is.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

atomeyes wrote:
well, they did give Speedway Stout w/vietnamese coffee the award for best Californian beer. so take that as it is.
Another solid, well-deserved beer winner, love the Speedway Stout.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

El Pinguino wrote:
atomeyes wrote:
Another solid, well-deserved beer winner, love the Speedway Stout.
it's funny...
people love it but i always detect a hint of fish on the nose of all Speedway Stout. really throws me off. never had a good bottle or pint. something in it that drives me nuts.

distr0

Post by distr0 »

bastardo is fantastic. i'd consider it a serious contender for best BA ontario stout

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

atomeyes wrote:it's funny...
people love it but i always detect a hint of fish on the nose of all Speedway Stout. really throws me off. never had a good bottle or pint. something in it that drives me nuts.
Didn't taste fish, but I was underwhelmed, especially considering the price.

distr0 wrote:bastardo is fantastic. i'd consider it a serious contender for best BA ontario stout
Definitely the best coffee beer I've had in a long time. Feel it's a bit unfair to compare it to a regular BA stout though... I dunno. That said, if I had to, Bastardo would win, yes.
Last edited by MatttthewGeorge on Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

Winter is Coming

distr0 wrote:bastardo is fantastic. i'd consider it a serious contender for best BA ontario stout
That's funny, the Cafe Del Bastardo was the only version of Nickel Brooks Bastard's that I wasn't a huge fan of. Found the coffee flavours to be far too overpowering which really detracted from it's imperial stout characteristics. I'd give it a 7/10.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Winter is Coming wrote:
That's funny, the Cafe Del Bastardo was the only version of Nickel Brooks Bastard's that I wasn't a huge fan of. Found the coffee flavours to be far too overpowering which really detracted from it's imperial stout characteristics. I'd give it a 7/10.
Ya, same....I liked it, but I'm not a coffee drinker so big coffee stouts don't do it for me. It made me not mind losing a couple of bottles back before Xmas, haha

Winter is Coming

El Pinguino wrote:
Winter is Coming wrote:
Ya, same....I liked it, but I'm not a coffee drinker so big coffee stouts don't do it for me. It made me not mind losing a couple of bottles back before Xmas, haha
Myself personally I am a big coffee drinker but this just didn't do it for me. I remember having a similar reaction to Peche Mortel to a lesser extent. Also $16 a bottle wasn't helping it's case.