Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Nickel Brook Brewing

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Tried Beer D, the dry-hopped sour. It's pretty good. It's a light beer at 4.0% and proportionately weak in aroma and flavour, but it's tasty. Very quenching. Tropical fruit and citrus, shades of Five-Alive. I could drink a lot of this on a hot day. It's too bad this can is 5-weeks old, and this pack just hit shelves. I'd like to try it fresher or even a 5-6% abv version.

Also, there is no mystery. Styles are indicated on the cans. I think it's a was a good idea, but there's no way LCBO will allow a true mystery pack.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

beerstodiscover wrote:Tried Beer D.... I could drink a lot of this on a hot day.
beerstodiscover wrote: I'd like to try... a 5-6% abv version.
Hmmmm... lol

I do question if this is a unique beer or just Duplicitous. Also wondering if Beer A is just Half Bastard. I’m probably wrong, but doesn’t stop me from wondering.
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

mgmoney

Post by mgmoney »

Yup I think these are just retreads if beers already brewed: drank D and Duplicitous one after the other...bruh...same beer and the pale ale is that not just Naughty Neighbor.
Everytime I learn something new I forget something old...like that time I learned to make wine and then forgot how to drive...

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

The pale ale and ipa are definitely new I’d say.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

I've tried all four now. All are fine beers.

The two IPAs have strong notes of pineapple. Not my favourite take on the style, but nothing wrong with them.

The stout is nice a dry, perhaps a little thin.

I really like the sour, but have far less to compare it against. I agree it might just be Duplicitous.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

S. St. Jeb wrote:I really like the sour, but have far less to compare it against. I agree it might just be Duplicitous.
How duplicitous.

I polished off the pack and I must say this is one of the better mix packs out there. I'd go Sour>IPA>Stout>Session IPA. I thought the stout packed a lot of flavour punch for a 4.5% beer.

I voted for the sour. I'd love to see this regularly available at the LCBO for around the $3 mark. Call it poor-man's Jelly King.

Napalm Frog

Post by Napalm Frog »

I agree, pretty solid pack. My personal ranking was SIPA > NEIPA > Gose > Stout. The lack of body and near 0 head retention on the stout was disappointing, but the coffee/chocolate flavour was nice. The SIPA really packed a citrus punch, was blown away how much flavour it had. NEIPA and Gose decent enough,

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

SIPA > Sour > IPA > Stout

One of a very few session IPA’s I’d actually drink, so it wins for that alone.

Quotashun

Post by Quotashun »

IPA > Sour > SIPA > Stout for me... solid pack.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Different strokes and alll that.....just finished the sipa and wasn't a fan. Very thin(to be expected I guess)but I found it really needed more malt balance. I'd never buy this is a single sipa. I also had a fuckload of yeast floaties. I've had the stout and found it pretty tasty, something I'd buy. Drinking the sour right now and I like it. I'd buy a decent amount of this in the summer, reminds me a lot of CA's Gose

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

For me: D>C>A>B.

Nothing was bad, but nothing was exceptional, and won't be revisiting.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Finished the pack off with the neipa on Boxing Day. I thought it was really really good. Nice tropical fruit flavours, well balanced and great mouthfeel. Again, lots of big yeast floaties. For me it's the best IPA I've had from nickelbrook and i would buy this on a regular basis for sure.
Overall, is rank the beers: neipa>sour>stout>sipa. With the neipa and sour probably being the only two I'd buy regularly.

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

So any thoughts on the Kentucky and Cuvee this year?

portwood

Post by portwood »

Blasphomet wrote:So any thoughts on the Kentucky and Cuvee this year?
Just one irrelevant opinion here:
- I like the direction they took on the bottle size (even better would have been the Founders 355ml option), but
- When a startup brewery (Rouge River) can sell a barrel aged RIS for $1 less than an established outfit (NB) you know NB jumped the shark on price.

So, I stocked up on Founders, Rouge River Never Say Never BARIS, and various other options.

(NBs attitude on Naughty Neighbour is also still a factor in my beer buying decisions...)
@markhamwhisky

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

If you're talking about the sexy lady on the can then LOL.