Nickel Brook Brewing

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: GregClow, Cass

User avatar
darmokandjalad
Posts: 261
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:04 pm
Location: Ridgetown, ON

Re: Nickel Brook Brewing

Postby darmokandjalad » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:56 pm

Winter is Coming wrote: I recently picked up one of their newly canned Maple Porters and something was definitely off. There was absolutely ZERO maple to this canned version, as well as a strong boozy/chemical undertone which I wouldn't expect off of a 6.0 % porter. It was almost a drain pour....almost.


The maple porter has never been one of their better beers. I didn't get much booze or any off-flavours from the can I had last night, but I would still agree that there seems to be a distinct lack of maple flavour in this season's batch. Perhaps the 300% drop in price isn't solely due to the format change - maybe they changed the recipe and put less maple syrup into it this time around.
Gavin
Posts: 139
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:44 am

Re: Nickel Brook Brewing

Postby Gavin » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:18 pm

jeremyg wrote:I've never really understood the love affair with NB, specifically NN and Headstock, but Immodest is definitely fantastic. Can't recommend enough.


sofakingdrunk wrote:^^^id agree with that comment on the headstock, I've never really loved it as much as others seem to.


Man, and here I think that fresh cans of Headstock are the best deal at the LCBO by a long shot.
beerstodiscover
Bar Fly
Posts: 600
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:16 pm
Contact:

Re: Nickel Brook Brewing

Postby beerstodiscover » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:12 pm

darmokandjalad wrote:
Winter is Coming wrote:There was absolutely ZERO maple to this canned version, as well as a strong boozy/chemical undertone...


I would still agree that there seems to be a distinct lack of maple flavour in this season's batch.


I've never tasted previous batches but I could clearly taste/smell the maple in my cans. The sweetness can come off as boozy/artificial. Not a great beer but I enjoyed it. I wrote a review here if anyone is interested: https://beerstodiscover.wordpress.com/2 ... le-porter/
sprague11
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1907
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:37 pm
Location: Newmarket, ON

Re: Nickel Brook Brewing

Postby sprague11 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:24 pm

This canning of the Maple porter flat out sucks.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo
beerman80
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:59 am

Re: Nickel Brook Brewing

Postby beerman80 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:00 am

I definitely agree that this years maple porter canned is not as good as the previous years batches. I find it to be inconsistent, the first can I had tasted kinda boozy/tin taste 2 it, but then I had another a couple days later and did not get the boozy/tin taste at all but more maple.
Winter is Coming
Posts: 69
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:42 am

Re: Nickel Brook Brewing

Postby Winter is Coming » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:34 pm

beerman80 wrote:I definitely agree that this years maple porter canned is not as good as the previous years batches. I find it to be inconsistent, the first can I had tasted kinda boozy/tin taste 2 it, but then I had another a couple days later and did not get the boozy/tin taste at all but more maple.


The Maple Porter is one of few "meh" beers that Nickel Brook Brews. It's unfortunate as the rest of their dark beers are exceptional.
sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly
Posts: 803
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:55 am
Location: Guelph

Re: Nickel Brook Brewing

Postby sofakingdrunk » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:20 am

Does anybody know if there will be another shipment of immodest, or is this fairly limited release(store-wise) all?
CoolB
Posts: 219
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:40 pm

Re: Nickel Brook Brewing

Postby CoolB » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:41 am

sofakingdrunk wrote:Does anybody know if there will be another shipment of immodest, or is this fairly limited release(store-wise) all?


I believe there will be another shipment. The beer person at the lcbo I usually go to says she has ordered it for me but they are waiting for the next shipment.
You know what I have in my cellar? Dust, I have dust in my cellar.
walz22
Posts: 101
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:38 pm

Re: Nickel Brook Brewing

Postby walz22 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:49 pm

Malevolent looks like it's back in the brewery retail store, according to their Facebook page.
sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly
Posts: 803
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:55 am
Location: Guelph

Re: Nickel Brook Brewing

Postby sofakingdrunk » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:22 pm

CoolB wrote:
sofakingdrunk wrote:Does anybody know if there will be another shipment of immodest, or is this fairly limited release(store-wise) all?


I believe there will be another shipment. The beer person at the lcbo I usually go to says she has ordered it for me but they are waiting for the next shipment.



Cool, thx
S. St. Jeb
Bar Fly
Posts: 822
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:44 pm
Location: Burlington, ON

Re: Nickel Brook Brewing

Postby S. St. Jeb » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:26 pm

walz22 wrote:Malevolent looks like it's back in the brewery retail store, according to their Facebook page.

Malevolent was canned on Wed, April 6 and is available at the brewery. It will not be going to the LCBO.
User avatar
boney
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1209
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 3:49 pm
Location: Hamilton

Re: Nickel Brook Brewing

Postby boney » Sun May 01, 2016 6:30 pm

Lab Series 3: Uncommon Element (Brett PA) is in 375 ml bottles at the brewery.

Haven't cracked one yet, but the label says hopped with Hallertau Blanc (neat-o!) and Mosaic.
walz22
Posts: 101
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:38 pm

Re: Nickel Brook Brewing

Postby walz22 » Tue May 24, 2016 2:21 pm

Uber and Raspberry Uber are back in the retail store (375ml bottles), with the latter hitting the LCBO sometime soon.
User avatar
Belgian
Bar Towel Legend
Posts: 9975
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:15 pm
Location: Earth

Re: Nickel Brook Brewing

Postby Belgian » Wed May 25, 2016 10:30 pm

I believe I tried the Immodest IIPA at boxcar social yesterday, incredible aroma even when it was just being poured. Nice spot just off on Boulton Ave, in the flourishing Queen and Broadview district.
In Beerum Veritas
User avatar
Craig
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1742
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:23 am

Re: Nickel Brook Brewing

Postby Craig » Thu May 26, 2016 8:27 am

Belgian wrote:I believe I tried the Immodest IIPA at boxcar social yesterday, incredible aroma even when it was just being poured. Nice spot just off on Boulton Ave, in the flourishing Queen and Broadview district.


Have they fixed their pricing? I went in shortly after they opened and they were essentially charging full-pint prices for half-pint servings. Which was a shame, because otherwise I liked the place.

Return to “Ontario Brewers”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron