Nickel Brook Brewing

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: GregClow, Cass

User avatar
boney
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1209
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 3:49 pm
Location: Hamilton

Re: Nickel Brook Brewing

Postby boney » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:54 pm

Some people make charitable donations towards helping people, some for helping animals. Some go towards the local comminity, some more global. Etc., etc. How people decide to donate is up to them. Trying to standardize or prioritize value in charitable donations (if that is what you're insinuating. If not, please clarify) is a dicey, politically trecherous and unnecessary proposition. So Nickel Brook cares about refugees. Good for them. I'm not going to question any one for giving a damn.

Cool idea. I look forward to trying it.
S. St. Jeb
Bar Fly
Posts: 727
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:44 pm
Location: Burlington, ON

Re: Nickel Brook Brewing

Postby S. St. Jeb » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:42 am

CoolB wrote:Just out of curiosity but does nicklebrook have any programs where they support our own vets or homeless canadian citizens?

Does any business, brewery or otherwise, have any programs where they support our own vets or homeless Canadian citizens?
portwood
Posts: 301
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:56 pm
Location: Markham
Contact:

Re: Nickel Brook Brewing

Postby portwood » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:43 am

boney wrote:Some people make charitable donations towards helping people, some for helping animals. Some go towards the local comminity, some more global. Etc., etc. How people decide to donate is up to them. Trying to standardize or prioritize value in charitable donations (if that is what you're insinuating. If not, please clarify) is a dicey, politically trecherous and unnecessary proposition. So Nickel Brook cares about refugees. Good for them. I'm not going to question any one for giving a damn.


I agree with this sentiment.

Giving to charity does not equate to an ethical business. I would rather see a business NOT give to charity but run on principles that benefit all its stakeholders (including employees & customers). The stakeholders, as individuals, can distribute the profits from the business the way they see fit.

Bringing it back to the subject of this thread, I'm more concerned about the imagery NB uses on some of its beer cans (i.e. naughty neighbour) than whether or not they contribute to charity!
@markhamwhisky
portwood
Posts: 301
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:56 pm
Location: Markham
Contact:

Re: Nickel Brook Brewing

Postby portwood » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:45 am

portwood wrote:
boney wrote:Some people make charitable donations towards helping people, some for helping animals. Some go towards the local comminity, some more global. Etc., etc. How people decide to donate is up to them. Trying to standardize or prioritize value in charitable donations (if that is what you're insinuating. If not, please clarify) is a dicey, politically trecherous and unnecessary proposition. So Nickel Brook cares about refugees. Good for them. I'm not going to question any one for giving a damn.


I agree with this sentiment.

Giving to charity does not equate to an ethical business. I would rather see a business NOT give to charity but run on principles that benefit all its stakeholders (including employees & customers). The stakeholders, as individuals, can distribute the profits from the business the way they see fit - including charities that touch them personally.

Bringing it back to the subject of this thread, I'm more concerned about the imagery NB uses on some of its beer cans (i.e. naughty neighbour) than whether or not they contribute to charity!
@markhamwhisky
CoolB
Posts: 219
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:40 pm

Re: Nickel Brook Brewing

Postby CoolB » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:45 am

I'm glad this sparked debate and different insinuations about the nature of my question but I hate to disappoint folks it's just simply a question.

As a consumer of this product I'll ask whatever questions I feel like, within reason.

One person said it correctly. It's good to know that there are people out there that are concerned with refugees. It's also good to know there are people out there that are concerned with our homeless citizens and our vets. It's called diversity and it's a great thing.

No one should be shamed for whom or where their concerns specifically lie. Mine obviously are focused on the citizens of Canada living in poverty and with mental illnesses. This isn't a bad thing no matter what you've been programmed to think. I'm not saying anyone here shamed me. Just making a point.

None of this is a bad thing and neither was my question. Nickle brook can donate to whom ever they wish and I have no effect on their decisions. However as a consumer their decisions may have a direct effect on me.
You know what I have in my cellar? Dust, I have dust in my cellar.
BakaGaijin
Posts: 460
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:41 pm
Location: Burlington

Re: Nickel Brook Brewing

Postby BakaGaijin » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:16 pm

They need to fill some freshly emptied bourbon barrels with maple syrup and then sell that aged bourbon maple syrup in the gift shop. Then fill those barrels with their stout and make Canadian Bastard.
S. St. Jeb
Bar Fly
Posts: 727
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:44 pm
Location: Burlington, ON

Re: Nickel Brook Brewing

Postby S. St. Jeb » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:06 pm

MatttthewGeorge wrote:
nelson wrote:They don't have any list online about what they have at the bottle shop currently, do they? I'm thinking of making a trip out but would rather go when I know they have some really good stuff.

Also, is the better location to visit the burlington location if I'm more interested in sour beers? And the hamilton one just has the core lineup?


It's coming on the new website, but for now check social media or call Burlington. And don't go to Hamilton, no Nickel Brook sold there at all (yet...)

New website is up, but no listing of what's available.
midlife crisis
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1952
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:00 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: Nickel Brook Brewing

Postby midlife crisis » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:08 am

boney wrote:Some people make charitable donations towards helping people, some for helping animals. Some go towards the local comminity, some more global. Etc., etc. How people decide to donate is up to them. Trying to standardize or prioritize value in charitable donations (if that is what you're insinuating. If not, please clarify) is a dicey, politically trecherous and unnecessary proposition. So Nickel Brook cares about refugees. Good for them. I'm not going to question any one for giving a damn.



Yes, but there is a self-evident marketing dimension to their decision to advertise that part of the proceeds from this beer will go to a particular charity. Therefore the question is legitimate and consumers can react to it as they choose. If it were not motivated at least in part by marketing, NB would quietly make their charitable donations and not tell us about them or invite us to join with them (by buying that beer) in what they consider to be the most worthy charitable need.
User avatar
boney
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1209
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 3:49 pm
Location: Hamilton

Re: Nickel Brook Brewing

Postby boney » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:45 pm

Yep, agree that everything in this thread is pretty fair. Consumers can and should decide what and whom to support based on their own interests and ideological alignment. If NB thinks refugees are a worthy cause, others will either agree or disagree and purchase or not purchase accordingly. I guess I was just trying to say that there is no need to manufacture any sort of competition between charities based on perceived worthiness. It's just personal preference, which is what I think we're all talking about any way.

Agree that the marketing dimension is definitely real. NB could indeed donate on the sly, but one could argue that by using marketing as a signpost for the cause, they will increase 1-the profile of the issue (theoretically, at least), 2-the amount available to give to charity (the more attention, the more bottles sold etc), and of course 3-any profit they themselves might make. None of which are necessarily bad.

I also agree with Portwood. I really like Nickel Brook, but the image on the current Naughty Neighbour cans really needs to be retired.
User avatar
Hoppy's Tavern
Posts: 101
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:09 pm

Re: Nickel Brook Brewing

Postby Hoppy's Tavern » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:13 pm

Just tried their Bolshevik Bastard Imperial Stout, Yummies!!!!!!!!

Apperance: It pours thick, velvet black just like oil from a lawnmower, beautiful nutty brown head, just the way it’s suppose to be.

Aroma: sweet mild aromas of toffee, vanilla, hint of biscuit

Taste: Smoky, mild bitter mocha coffee, bitter chocolate, you can taste a slight hint of the high alcohol right down at the back

Mouthfeel: It’s silky, coats your mouth really well with a bitter coffee/malty flavor, you feel the alcohol warming up your throat

Overall: It has some awesome aromas, mild not overpowering malty flavours that you find on some stouts.
The 70% IBU is not noticible, you get a little bit at the middle that goes by un-noticed, the 9% ABV is an awesome mild throat warmer.

Image
User avatar
Craig
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1670
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:23 am

Re: Nickel Brook Brewing

Postby Craig » Fri May 19, 2017 8:31 pm

I got a can of this year's immodest. I think it's a good batch.

I've always thought this an underrated beer. If it were brought in by a popular US brewery people would go nuts for it.
atomeyes
Beer Superstar
Posts: 2151
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:39 pm

Re: Nickel Brook Brewing

Postby atomeyes » Sun May 21, 2017 1:13 pm

portwood wrote:
atomeyes wrote:anyways, hope you understand our point of view, even just slightly. or consider it. i definitely understand yours and i see what you're saying. i just disagree :)

Good to see this discussion led you to reconsider what you were using as a signature - in response to someone else whose views you disagreed with :D

it was changed a week ago. i didn't want people to miscontrue that i was homophobic.

anyways...had the nickelbrook cucumber beer a week ago. meh
User avatar
Craig
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1670
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:23 am

Re: Nickel Brook Brewing

Postby Craig » Sun May 21, 2017 2:28 pm

I moved all the sexism talk to it's own thread:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=10780
User avatar
El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1391
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:02 pm
Location: Downtown TO / Galapagos Islands
Contact:

Re: Nickel Brook Brewing

Postby El Pinguino » Thu May 25, 2017 10:47 pm

S. St. Jeb wrote:
MatttthewGeorge wrote:
nelson wrote:They don't have any list online about what they have at the bottle shop currently, do they? I'm thinking of making a trip out but would rather go when I know they have some really good stuff.

Also, is the better location to visit the burlington location if I'm more interested in sour beers? And the hamilton one just has the core lineup?


It's coming on the new website, but for now check social media or call Burlington. And don't go to Hamilton, no Nickel Brook sold there at all (yet...)

New website is up, but no listing of what's available.


Seems to be there now...not sure how accurate it is....ad it is a bit tricky to find:
https://nickelbrook.com/our-breweries/bottle-shop/
User avatar
MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly
Posts: 759
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:45 pm
Location: Woolwich, ON
Contact:

Re: Nickel Brook Brewing

Postby MatttthewGeorge » Fri May 26, 2017 7:07 am

I only make it to the brewery every month or two, so I can't say how accurate it is, but it looks right.
untappd/tweetbox/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

Return to “Ontario Brewers”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests