Nickel Brook Brewing

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: GregClow, Cass

BakaGaijin
Posts: 468
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:41 pm
Location: Burlington

Re: Nickel Brook Brewing

Postby BakaGaijin » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:15 pm

Provost Drunk wrote:
BakaGaijin wrote:^^^^
According to the label, they literally threw coffee beans in barrels of Kentucky Bastard, so that would be bourbon. I had a sample and it was really good. A lot of coffee. Bourbon was quite subdued. I would need to drink more to give more insight, however, I definately recommend picking up a bottle. Pretty much the same price point per ml as most Bellwood's barrel aged beers.


Sounds promising.I think I prefer classic Bolshevik to Kentucky Bastard so I could probably get in on a more coffee-forward version. Not sure I'll be able to get out to Burlington in time though. Shame this one isn't headed to the LCBO.


Its probably very limited quantities. Would'nt make sense to put it in the LCBO.
User avatar
El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1405
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:02 pm
Location: Downtown TO / Galapagos Islands
Contact:

Re: Nickel Brook Brewing

Postby El Pinguino » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:29 am

I picked up 2 batardos last week then forgot them in my rental car when I returned it....hope someone else was able to appreciate them over the holidays!
User avatar
skootles
Posts: 200
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:55 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: Nickel Brook Brewing

Postby skootles » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:38 pm

Anyone have an idea when/if Winey Bastard is coming out?
BakaGaijin
Posts: 468
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:41 pm
Location: Burlington

Re: Nickel Brook Brewing

Postby BakaGaijin » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:05 pm

Kentucky Bastard wins RateBeer's Best Ontario Beer for 2015:
http://www.ratebeer.com/ratebeerbest/Be ... te2016.asp
User avatar
jeremyg
Posts: 310
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 3:57 pm

Re: Nickel Brook Brewing

Postby jeremyg » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:13 am

that's... surprising
User avatar
El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1405
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:02 pm
Location: Downtown TO / Galapagos Islands
Contact:

Re: Nickel Brook Brewing

Postby El Pinguino » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:59 pm

BakaGaijin wrote:Kentucky Bastard wins RateBeer's Best Ontario Beer for 2015:
http://www.ratebeer.com/ratebeerbest/Be ... te2016.asp


That's great, kudos to Nickelbrook!
Winter is Coming
Posts: 69
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:42 am

Re: Nickel Brook Brewing

Postby Winter is Coming » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:15 pm

El Pinguino wrote:
BakaGaijin wrote:Kentucky Bastard wins RateBeer's Best Ontario Beer for 2015:
http://www.ratebeer.com/ratebeerbest/Be ... te2016.asp


That's great, kudos to Nickelbrook!


Well deserved, Old Kentucky as well as the other Bastard variants are all great beers. Lets just hope this doesn't drive NB to up the price of a bottle another dollar for next years release.
atomeyes
Beer Superstar
Posts: 2151
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:39 pm

Re: Nickel Brook Brewing

Postby atomeyes » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:21 am

jeremyg wrote:that's... surprising

well, they did give Speedway Stout w/vietnamese coffee the award for best Californian beer. so take that as it is.
User avatar
El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1405
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:02 pm
Location: Downtown TO / Galapagos Islands
Contact:

Re: Nickel Brook Brewing

Postby El Pinguino » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:48 pm

atomeyes wrote:
jeremyg wrote:that's... surprising

well, they did give Speedway Stout w/vietnamese coffee the award for best Californian beer. so take that as it is.


Another solid, well-deserved beer winner, love the Speedway Stout.
atomeyes
Beer Superstar
Posts: 2151
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:39 pm

Re: Nickel Brook Brewing

Postby atomeyes » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:35 pm

El Pinguino wrote:
atomeyes wrote:
jeremyg wrote:that's... surprising

well, they did give Speedway Stout w/vietnamese coffee the award for best Californian beer. so take that as it is.


Another solid, well-deserved beer winner, love the Speedway Stout.


it's funny...
people love it but i always detect a hint of fish on the nose of all Speedway Stout. really throws me off. never had a good bottle or pint. something in it that drives me nuts.
User avatar
distr0
Posts: 214
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:48 pm
Location: St. George

Re: Nickel Brook Brewing

Postby distr0 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:23 pm

bastardo is fantastic. i'd consider it a serious contender for best BA ontario stout
User avatar
MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly
Posts: 795
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:45 pm
Location: Woolwich, ON
Contact:

Re: Nickel Brook Brewing

Postby MatttthewGeorge » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:59 pm

atomeyes wrote:it's funny...
people love it but i always detect a hint of fish on the nose of all Speedway Stout. really throws me off. never had a good bottle or pint. something in it that drives me nuts.


Didn't taste fish, but I was underwhelmed, especially considering the price.


distr0 wrote:bastardo is fantastic. i'd consider it a serious contender for best BA ontario stout


Definitely the best coffee beer I've had in a long time. Feel it's a bit unfair to compare it to a regular BA stout though... I dunno. That said, if I had to, Bastardo would win, yes.
Last edited by MatttthewGeorge on Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
untappd/tweetbox/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge
Winter is Coming
Posts: 69
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:42 am

Re: Nickel Brook Brewing

Postby Winter is Coming » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:05 pm

distr0 wrote:bastardo is fantastic. i'd consider it a serious contender for best BA ontario stout


That's funny, the Cafe Del Bastardo was the only version of Nickel Brooks Bastard's that I wasn't a huge fan of. Found the coffee flavours to be far too overpowering which really detracted from it's imperial stout characteristics. I'd give it a 7/10.
User avatar
El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1405
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:02 pm
Location: Downtown TO / Galapagos Islands
Contact:

Re: Nickel Brook Brewing

Postby El Pinguino » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:16 pm

Winter is Coming wrote:
distr0 wrote:bastardo is fantastic. i'd consider it a serious contender for best BA ontario stout


That's funny, the Cafe Del Bastardo was the only version of Nickel Brooks Bastard's that I wasn't a huge fan of. Found the coffee flavours to be far too overpowering which really detracted from it's imperial stout characteristics. I'd give it a 7/10.


Ya, same....I liked it, but I'm not a coffee drinker so big coffee stouts don't do it for me. It made me not mind losing a couple of bottles back before Xmas, haha
Winter is Coming
Posts: 69
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:42 am

Re: Nickel Brook Brewing

Postby Winter is Coming » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:45 pm

El Pinguino wrote:
Winter is Coming wrote:
distr0 wrote:bastardo is fantastic. i'd consider it a serious contender for best BA ontario stout


That's funny, the Cafe Del Bastardo was the only version of Nickel Brooks Bastard's that I wasn't a huge fan of. Found the coffee flavours to be far too overpowering which really detracted from it's imperial stout characteristics. I'd give it a 7/10.


Ya, same....I liked it, but I'm not a coffee drinker so big coffee stouts don't do it for me. It made me not mind losing a couple of bottles back before Xmas, haha


Myself personally I am a big coffee drinker but this just didn't do it for me. I remember having a similar reaction to Peche Mortel to a lesser extent. Also $16 a bottle wasn't helping it's case.

Return to “Ontario Brewers”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest