Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Who makes a good porter?

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

While not bottled, I liked Clifford Porter very much the few times I've had it.

TwoPint

Post by TwoPint »

I enjoyed a few pints of Kensington Home Grown Porter at The Only Cafe last month.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

jeremyg wrote:the recent batches of lost river baltic porter have been fantastic
Great Bellwoods beer. Namesake of the filled-in Garrison creek near the Bellwoods brewpub, there is a house a few blocks north that is sinking a bit due to to the underground erosion…
In Beerum Veritas

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

deepeary wrote:I am a big fan of Stranger Than Fiction. They nailed the soft mouthfeel and it has a wonderful balance of sweet chocolate/coffee notes. This will be a regular purchase for me.
Ditto, I was impressed with this one. It has been a while since I've tried a really solid, Ontario-made, regular old English-style porter (i.e. with no vanilla/coffee/smoked malt etc. thrown into it). Black Swan's Porter is the only other quality one that comes to mind, but that's only available in Stratford.

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

alsiem wrote:...I think that Junction would do one...
Hey alsiem, we've got our Hey, Porter! in bottles and on tap at the brewery right now! Also, we've got a 30L keg of Lansdowne's Jenny Lind Chocolate Porter (also available at 303 Lansdowne) on tap right now, available for by-the-glass purchase or a growler fill.

Cheers!
Retail/Tap Room Manager | Line Cleaner | Bottler | Instagrammer @ Junction Craft Brewing

alsiem

Post by alsiem »

Finally tried Junction's Hey Porter last night at Club 3030. It was fantastic, for my own preference I enjoy a nice creamy mouthfeel, I'm guessing that Hey Porter as some oats in the grainbill as it delivers that.

Right now, these are my favorites.

1. Hey Porter
2. Stranger than Fiction
3. Charcoal Porter

Still never tried a Muddy York Porter.

alsiem

Post by alsiem »

I see this from the Brewing awards:

Gold: Collective Arts Brewing – Stranger Than Fiction
Silver: Clifford Brewing Co. – Clifford Porter
Bronze: Bobcaygeon Brewing Company – Porter

I have never heard of Bobcaygeon Brewing. Summer road trip for sure.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Two I had this weekend and really liked.

Nickelbrook Winter Porter (purchased at the brewery)
Stonehammer Continuity Baltic Porter (from the LCBO)

alsiem

Post by alsiem »

Glad to see this thread getting a bump. Stranger than Fiction is still solid but I just haven't had a chance to have a Hey Porter in a long time. Now I'd have to include Muddy York Porter to the top 3. It's great, and seems to have hit a recent high note after being solid for the last year.

I finally tried a charcoal porter but I think the bottle I had was infected as it was very vinegary which cannot believe was the intended flavor.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

I note Clifford is now in cans too and fairly widely available. It is so good.

BlackRedGold

Post by BlackRedGold »

Stalwart Thriller Imperial Chocolate Porter is really good.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

midlife crisis wrote:I note Clifford is now in cans too and fairly widely available. It is so good.
Agreed. I'd say this is my favourite widely available "regular" porter, as in no flavourings or additives, not Baltic or Imperial, etc. It's very good, reminds me of Smuttynose Robust Porter.

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

I tried Muddy York's Plank Road Baltic Road porter recently and was impressed. It had a nice ash/smoke character. I haven't tried their regular porter yet, but it's definitely on my radar now after reading the positive reviews here and really enjoying their Baltic.

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

I haven't had it yet, but Halo Brewery has a new robust porter called Inkblot. It's getting good reviews so far: https://untappd.com/b/halo-brewery-inkblot/1984205

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

shintriad wrote:I haven't had it yet, but Halo Brewery has a new robust porter called Inkblot. It's getting good reviews so far: https://untappd.com/b/halo-brewery-inkblot/1984205
I'd say Inkblot is more in the American style of porter. I think it's a good choice for those who like this style. Personally, I'm more into the English style, but Inkblot is well crafted for what it's supposed to be.