Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Burdock Brewing

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Still some bottles of NOOM to be had at Burdock (Brett Peach Saison is alas all gone.)

UPDATE - the NOOM is very good - it is somewhere between a cognac-aged chocolate cherry stout and a tart brett farmhouse ale. Very sippable and aromatic, way better in balance and layers than the super-sweet Saison I tried there many months ago.

UPDATE TO UPDATE - The souring appears to make the carbonation a gusher... I would chill this well, and plan on some way to collect the overflow when you gently uncap the bottle. And even so I would let it warm again before drinking.
Last edited by Belgian on Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Beerum Veritas

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

I grabbed a couple of NOOMs the other day.
Flavours were solid, I gave one to some friends who all praised it.
I thought they were highly carbed though...very fizzy....which took away from some of my enjoyment.

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

am i the only one that finds burdock's IPAs very underrated? the last one was absolutely delicious.

didn't get a chance to try the dirty saison but the clean is excellent. definite a love letter to dupont, and feel like they did a great job pulling it off. need to grab more bottles.

416 loko is thin, but tasty. feel like it could've been really something if it had a bit more body. kind of too bad, but at the same time the end product is still very good.

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

Burdock needs their own branded glasses. They've been around long enough.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Stopped by the Burdock bottle shop yesterday for the first time in a while. I've always thought most of their stuff is above average. I looked at the extensive bottle/price list. Barrel 24, $14.75! Blink. Read the description. "I'll try it." Get home. Pouring a bottle of Té when I notice the whole bottle fits in my Cask Days glass. They switched to 375 ml bottles!

The Té was nice and I'm sure the Barrel 24 will be good, but damn, I was expecting 500 ml of liquid. Clearly, I didn't handle or look at the bottles closely, but it kinda felt like someone picked my pocket. I swear the prices are even higher now for the small bottles than when they sold most things in 500s. Almost every brew is north of $7.

Anyways, the brews are still good IMO but I am not a fan of the switch to 375/price hike.

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

I was thinking about heading down there soon as I hadn't been in a while either, but I don't like what you are saying at all.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Barrel 24 was pretty darn good....
They've had the small bottles for some time now I think? But ya, getting a bit pricey at Burdock for even the non-barrled / soured stuff sometimes.

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

Anyone know if they are selling glassware yet? I seem to think someone told me they are (was it here?) but I can't recall for sure.

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

Blasphomet wrote:Anyone know if they are selling glassware yet? I seem to think someone told me they are (was it here?) but I can't recall for sure.
i asked them in a post and they said they just started to (this was weeks ago) but ive yet to see it posted by them or anyone else

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Belgian wrote:Still some bottles of NOOM to be had at Burdock (Brett Peach Saison is alas all gone.)

UPDATE - the NOOM is very good - it is somewhere between a cognac-aged chocolate cherry stout and a tart brett farmhouse ale. Very sippable and aromatic, way better in balance and layers than the super-sweet Saison I tried there many months ago.

UPDATE TO UPDATE - The souring appears to make the carbonation a gusher... I would chill this well, and plan on some way to collect the overflow when you gently uncap the bottle. And even so I would let it warm again before drinking.
My last bottle - for me one of the best brews I've ever had, let alone and Ontario and a local brew. It's a sour cherry Belgian cognac chocolate stout, essentially. Beautiful creation.

Also had a few Beyond The Pale Yummy, this brew is a competition killer if look ing for a NE hoppy Ale style.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Belgian wrote:Still some bottles of NOOM to be had at Burdock (Brett Peach Saison is alas all gone.)

My last bottle - for me one of the best brews I've ever had, let alone also an Ontario and a local brew. It's a sour cherry Belgian cognac chocolate stout, essentially. Beautiful creation.

Also had a few Beyond The Pale Yummy, this brew is a competition killer if look ing for a NE hoppy Ale style.
In Beerum Veritas

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

New brewery for Burdock open in Kensington:

Looks cool, might go check it out today.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Stopped in to the new brewery today. A nice space and cool use of the older building. Perhaps I didn’t really read the posts closely, but it is just a brewery and bottle shop, no taproom or tasting area. Maybe it was a way to get open quicker as don’t have to deal with everything that comes with setting up a bar, not sure.

Anyway, if you’re in Kensington they’re definitely an option for beer to-go, they had a wide selection of stuff.

Strangely Kensington Brewery was closed, even though it said on their hours on the door that they should have been open. Not sure if anything’s going on with them.
BD6385CE-F648-4CB2-8048-56C83863CBCD.jpeg