Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Burdock Brewing

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

BakaGaijin wrote:
Coronaeus wrote:The Fresh Hop Pale Ale is enjoyable.
Agreed. However, nothing incredible either. I would just as well drink GLB Canuck then have to go out of my way to get this again.

Looking forward to trying other beers they put out though. I think this brewery has some nice potential.
The fresh hop pale ale has been fairly different on different occasions. It was best right after a keg change, and a little less dynamic the other times. I've also noticed their west coast pilsner is quite variable and with a rather noticeable difference between tap and bottle. Overall they're doing fairly good things.

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

The new IPA is pretty enjoyable. There is no information about ingredients on the website listing yet. I should have asked, but the cool looking aloof pseudo-albino guy working the cash was a little too intimidating for me.

All jokes aside, I like this brewery. Nothing earth shattering, but I've enjoyed everything I have tried to this point.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Always nice to see another brewer start playing around with barrels.

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

Burdock has a limited run in the bottle shop of their first blended barrel fermented beer: Cuvee 1. 852 bottle run. If three customers constitutes a line, then this was the first time I have had to line up to buy beer at Burdock!

http://www.canadianbeernews.com/2016/02 ... ted-beers/

Sounds good.

MeltedOzark

Post by MeltedOzark »

Has anyone tried the Super Saison yet? I'm wondering if it's worth the drive there. Also would be interested to know how much they're selling it for.

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

FYI Burdock has prices and stock levels for every beer in their bottle shop. Surprised no one has praised them for that yet considering how much people want brewery websites to list bottles...

http://burdockto.com/bottleshop/
GTA Brews - Toronto's Homebrew Club - http://www.gtabrews.ca/

Eric's Brewing Blog - Advanced Homebrewing for the Intermediate Brewer - http://www.ericbrews.com/

Napalm Frog

Post by Napalm Frog »

MeltedOzark wrote:Has anyone tried the Super Saison yet? I'm wondering if it's worth the drive there. Also would be interested to know how much they're selling it for.
It was just released a few hours ago, so some reviews will probably trickle in this evening. I'll probably give it a shot. Oddly enough, it's not on their website yet which is usually updated at 11am daily. It's just just noted on Twitter and Instagram.

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

MeltedOzark wrote:Has anyone tried the Super Saison yet? I'm wondering if it's worth the drive there. Also would be interested to know how much they're selling it for.

$8.

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

Praise for Burdock's fantastic web-site? See page one of thread. :D

skootles

Post by skootles »

ercousin wrote:FYI Burdock has prices and stock levels for every beer in their bottle shop. Surprised no one has praised them for that yet considering how much people want brewery websites to list bottles...

http://burdockto.com/bottleshop/
That's amazing. I wish more breweries just told me how much their beers were. Stock level is an added touch.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

The saison session is pretty tasty stuff, had it at Bar Hop Brewco.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Anybody try the cuvee yet? Thinking about making the drive down.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

Recent things I've tried from Burdock were the White Peach Berliner and Brett Golden Ale. Both were disappointing and I didn't enjoy either.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

sprague11 wrote:Anybody try the cuvee yet? Thinking about making the drive down.
picked a bottle up.
not really sure what this beer is trying to be.
the mouthfeel and carbonation are nice.
the description from their website:
Cuvée I
The first of our Cuvée series: a 9.5% Super Saison from a blend of 3 barrels with mixed fermentations of Saison yeasts and Brettanomyces from Escarpment Labs
Although this beer finished dry - it has an expansive mouthfeel from it's contact with wood during primary fermentation.
Notes of hay, funk, and mild banana esters
The longest finish - uncarbonated this beer might trick you into thinking it's wine.
no, it tastes nothing like wine. nothing at all.
way too malty. it's dry but due to the maltiness, it tastes sweet at the same time.
banana esters are there and i have no idea what saison yeast gives banana. that's wit/hefe yeast that tends to do that when fermented warm.
i didn't detect barrel much at all other than possibly softening the mouthfeel.
$8 for a bottle. didn't finish my glass. poured the rest down the drain.

it isn't a drainpour, but it really wasn't great. tasted like nickel brook's cuvee was the inspiration, which is weird, since cuvee isn't a style. it's just a declaration (of blending or high quality). i want to say something positive, but i guess that i'm left with: hey, it isn't a shitshow or gross. it's just all over the place and needs to be tinkered. could be worse.

MeltedOzark

Post by MeltedOzark »

I see that they have quite a few choices right now both on tap and in the bottle shop. Has anyone been recently? I am wondering how the Pale Ale, Farmhouse Stout and North East Brown Ale are.

Sad to hear that the Cuvee was a dud. Wish I could try it on tap.