Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Limburg Brewing Company

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

zane9

New Limburg Brewing Company

Post by zane9 »

This one looks like a recently opened brewery in the Simcoe area. I saw their listing the Ontario Brewers Directory. New Limberg focuses on "Belgian-style ales" according to their site.

Has anyone sampled their products? I'd like to try some. Not sure if it's being shipped anywhere out of the local area.
Last edited by zane9 on Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

Can't say that I've tried (or even heard of) New Limburg, but the Belgian focus was enough for me to look them up. Worth noting that their name is spelled with a "u" and so their website is http://newlimburg.com/

Would be interested to hear from anyone who's tried their beers - the blond sounds quite on point.

zane9

Post by zane9 »

Thanks Provost. I fixed the link. :oops:

Would like to get to the brewery sometime soon. I found out they're not shipping yet.

nickw

Post by nickw »

Provost Drunk wrote:Can't say that I've tried (or even heard of) New Limburg, but the Belgian focus was enough for me to look them up. Worth noting that their name is spelled with a "u" and so their website is http://newlimburg.com/

Would be interested to hear from anyone who's tried their beers - the blond sounds quite on point.
If nothing else, their branding and website design is on point. Really like those labels.

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

In the What're you drinking right now? thread
cheechonaleash wrote:Drinking a Black Sheep from New Limburg Brewing in Nixon, Ontario. Just opened a few weeks ago. Specializing in Belgian styled beers, this one is a milk stout and doesn't really fit the Belgian thing, hence the name.

Decent stuff so far. Check then out if you're in the area!
"There's always money in the banana stand."

FRANKIE65

Post by FRANKIE65 »

I'm hoping to get there soon, possibly, this weekend. Not too far for me to travel since I'm in Woodstock. Belgians, and, stouts are right up my alley.
Looks like they just opened a few weeks ago. Must say I'm slightly surprised that a Simcoe area brewery would be producing these styles of beers. Traditionally a more conservative (read Blue, Canadian, etc) beer drinking area. Good for them for trying to expand the rural beer offerings!

zane9

Post by zane9 »

FRANKIE65 wrote:I'm hoping to get there soon, possibly, this weekend. Not too far for me to travel since I'm in Woodstock. Belgians, and, stouts are right up my alley...
One thing I like about the Ontario Brewers Directory is the search-by-city. Helps planning the beer trips!

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Lol, Limburg.... Can't get passed thinking of:

'That'd be greeat... '

FRANKIE65

Post by FRANKIE65 »

Had a drive in the country Saturday, and, one of the visits was New Limburg Brewing. The brewery/pub/shop are located in an old school in Nixon. Pretty cool drinking beer in school :D . They are still establishing themselves, but, are off to a great start.
Spoke mostly with Mischa, co-owner/brewer, who was behind the bar. The family is originally from the Netherlands, but, lived in Belgium for awhile. Bought this property awhile back, to set up their brewery.
As for the important stuff, the beer, we were quite impressed with all three Belgians, the Blond, Petit, and, Damme Strong. So refreshing to see an Ontario, rural Ontario nonetheless, brewery pumping out quality Belgian ale!!! The Black Sheep stout was quite good, too. Left with some bottles of the Blond/Petit, and Black Sheep. Looking forward to enjoying them at home.
The location is unusual, don't expect to find quality European style beer in the Delhi/Simcoe area...more of a traditional (Blue/Canadian etc) agricultural vibe down there. However if you're looking for a nice fall drive out of the city, and, appreciate Belgian and/or stout...take the drive, don't think you'll be disappointed.

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

I had the opportunity to check out New Limburg with some friends last weekend and I have to say that overall I was very impressed with what their doing, particularly as a brewery that has only been in existence for a couple of months.

Their brewer (Mischa) was a gracious host and showed us around and we spent a lot of time chatting with him. He provided us with samples of their Blond, Petit Blond, Dubbel, Tripel and Black Sheep Milk Stout (the taps for the stout had run dry, but he opened a bottle for us to try). All 5 were pretty solid, with the Blond and Tripel being the standouts for me. The Blond displays some nice citrus and spicy yeast notes before a finish that is dry but not bitter. The Tripel is similar to the Blond (indeed, Mischa was a bit disappointed with how similar they turned out and hinted that he may tinker with the recipe) but I found it to have less pronounced citrus notes and a sweeter mid palate giving way to a comparable dry finish. Although only about 1% higher in ABV, the alcohol is definitely more pronounced in the Tripel but I personally like it when a strong beer has a bit of boozey warmth.

All beers on tap were priced at $2.50 per 220 mL pour (although the pours were consistently past the 220 mL line) and we enjoyed several rounds for an astonishingly low bill at the end. We also picked up a number of bottles (each $3.90 per 500 mL) and will be enjoying them in the months to come.

I would consider their beers the closest approximations to true Belgians that I've seen from Ontario craft brewers. Too often I find that the interpretation of Belgian in this province is simply using a Belgian yeast strain while continuing to use North American hops. There is a lot of marketing around creating a "new world/old world" hybrid beer, and while there should certainly be room for experimentation in craft brewing, I have long lamented that not enough Ontario brewers are brewing true Belgian styles. I also really like the simplicity of brewing a dubbel or tripel and simply calling your beer dubbel or tripel (as opposed to, say, "Charlotte's Web" - if someone can explain to me what a children's lit classic has to do with Belgian abbey style beers, I'm all ears!)

Food options were limited to finger foods, but this is a brewery and not a brewpub so it's hard to expect more. I have no complaints about the bitterballen that I ordered and a couple of friends tried the pepperettes that are produced by a local butcher and also enjoyed them.

The set up is really cozy and quaint in an old school. I get the impression that lots of early clientele are former teachers/students and not necessarily craft beer fans. But the taproom was steadily busy (though never crowded) during the few hours that we spent there. Mischa spent a lot of time explaining about different Belgian styles to visitors - a very good thing for the craft beer movement!

Given their small set up, New Limburg doesn't have immediate plans to broaden distribution beyond the Simcoe/Norfolk Country area so unfortunately it could be a while before see their beers in the GTA or other parts of the province. If you happen to be in the area, I definitely recommend a stop at New Limburg!

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

Great review, I'll check it out.
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

FRANKIE65 wrote:... Must say I'm slightly surprised that a Simcoe area brewery would be producing these styles of beers. Traditionally a more conservative (read Blue, Canadian, etc) beer drinking area. Good for them for trying to expand the rural beer offerings!
It's a little surprising and gratifying the demand that has come out of woodwork in a LOT of Ontario, not just bigger cities and I won't put it past the younger generations to be receptive and even eager to support craft and avant-garde (for 'traditional' Ontario) breweries. The new displacing the old.

In fact rural areas seem to have the advantage of some lower overheads plus the brand association with pristine spring water as well as being a touring destination.

Ten years ago I couldn't really imagine Stone City brew pub with its stouts and IPAs being such a hit in downtown Kingston, but it's always quite busy. Red Door pub is also bustling. Kingston used to be a little too quiet however the restless potential for the new, exciting and different may have always been there waiting to explode (not least of all from the turnover of Queens U students.)

In a way we've just waited too long, all those years of pre-IPA (etc.) Ontario underestimating the demand. People always have a taste for 'better' food and drink.
In Beerum Veritas

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

I was down at the brewery in Nov and loved it. The Blonde on tap was lovely and the rest of the lineup that I had was solid (Dubbel, Petite Blonde, and Milk Stout)

I left with bottles of the Blonde, Petite and Stout and they've all been a joy to drink

I'd agree that the Belgian styles are the most authentic of any Ontario examples that Ive tried

I cant wait to get back down to the brewery to grab more beer!

zane9

Post by zane9 »

Provost Drunk wrote:...
I would consider their beers the closest approximations to true Belgians that I've seen from Ontario craft brewers. Too often I find that the interpretation of Belgian in this province is simply using a Belgian yeast strain while continuing to use North American hops...
Thanks for your detailed review. I'm hoping to get there in January. The take on Belgian by too many ON brewers is hit or miss. Had one recently, which is cloyingly sweet.

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

zane9 wrote:
Provost Drunk wrote:...
I would consider their beers the closest approximations to true Belgians that I've seen from Ontario craft brewers. Too often I find that the interpretation of Belgian in this province is simply using a Belgian yeast strain while continuing to use North American hops...
Thanks for your detailed review. I'm hoping to get there in January. The take on Belgian by too many ON brewers is hit or miss. Had one recently, which is cloyingly sweet.
Can I hazard to guess that you tried the Muskoka Charlotte's Web? Cloying is not a term that I throw around lightly as I'm usually pretty forgiving of sweeter beers, but that one was over the top even for me.