Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Folly Brewpub

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

Full details (and backstory) about the beer release today: http://www.follybrewing.com/invented-tradition-1

Today at 4. 200 bottles. 4/person. $8 a pop (that's like almost the price of a grande caramel macchiato and chocolate chunk cookie across the road at Starbucks! Though I cannot speak for the comparable quality.) One keg tapped at the pub at the same time.

We also have Saudade (mixed fermentation American farmhouse ale with Hull Melon hops), Shadow Puppets (Belgian-inspired table beer using rye, oats, and 100% Ontario wild yeast), and Lost Words (Belgian-inspired mixed fermentation brown ale) in bottles.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

groulxsome wrote:8 a pop (that's like almost the price of a grande caramel macchiato and chocolate chunk cookie across the road at Starbucks!.
I just fell off my char & went into a diabetic coma reading that.
In Beerum Veritas

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

The invented tradition is nice. Hard to describe, other than to say it's complex and still has an aggressively Bretty flavor. I imagine it will be even better if it mellows with some aging.

Saudade is nice too. Juicy, complex and refreshing. I think those hops add some interesting flavor. My only criticism is the mouthfeel is a little lacking in body. I think that basic recipe in a couple of iterations will be killer.

Great stuff going on down at Folly.

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

FINALLY got a chance to check out Folly last night. was really impressed with the place. had a flight (praxis, rhizome, lost words, sojourn) and enjoyed it quite a bit. grabbed a couple bottles to go and a glass, of course. will definitely be back!

keep up the good work, guys.

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

Craig wrote:The invented tradition is nice. Hard to describe, other than to say it's complex and still has an aggressively Bretty flavor. I imagine it will be even better if it mellows with some aging.

Saudade is nice too. Juicy, complex and refreshing. I think those hops add some interesting flavor. My only criticism is the mouthfeel is a little lacking in body. I think that basic recipe in a couple of iterations will be killer.

Great stuff going on down at Folly.
Thanks! I agree with both points. The invented will do some nice things with aging. We wanted to pull it from the barrel before it got too oaky. Hopefully future editions will be bottle conditioned even. And I do wish the body/carbonation was a little more on point on Saudade.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Drinking Invented #1 right now. Very nice, lighter funk notes really add something to this beer without blowing away the palate or being astringent. This would be on my shortlist as in intro to saisons/funk. Very nice!
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

sprague11 wrote:Drinking Invented #1 right now. Very nice, lighter funk notes really add something to this beer without blowing away the palate or being astringent. This would be on my shortlist as in intro to saisons/funk. Very nice!
Thanks! We're aging version two on some fresh apricots right now (not a lot but enough for a subtile little vibe. Big fan of subtile flavors in beer. We'll bottle some but definitely sending kegs to the Funk Fest Sawdust is putting off on the Canada Day Weekend and the one the Wren is having mid-june.

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

Finally had the chance to visit Folly (my first time since the re-brand). Kallipolis was a standout for me - it instantly became one of my favourite, if not my definite favourite, Ontario brewed tripels. Definitely hit all of the spicy/yeasty notes I crave in a good tripel. Any plans to bottle this one any time soon? I could see it becoming a fixture in my fridge if so, especially given the dearth of good regularly available tripels at the L.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

^ Provost Drunk that is (in different terms) exactly how I felt about the nicely-aged, if somewhat volcanic bottle of Lambda Quad from Bellwoods.

Gonna check that Folly Tripel out, expecting a different style of course but it is individuality and character that shines in a sea of near-misses.
In Beerum Veritas

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

Hey all,

Just wanted to let you folks know that our first anniversary party is coming up tomorrow night, Wednesday the 12th of October. Should be a bit of fun. We've got free snacks from four to seven or so plus we're getting twelve taps up and running for the night. Here's the taplist:

Flemish Cap, Old World Saison
Praxis, New World Dry Hopped Saison
Imposter Syndrome, Farmhouse IPA
Inkhorn, Farmhouse Bruin
Rhizome: Centennial/Cascade, American Farmhouse
Second Smile, Tart Summer Saison
ULLA!, Dark Ale with Raspberries
Cornucopian Vision (x @halobrewery), Fruit Beer with Sauvinion Blanc Must, Currents, Blackberrys, Boisenberries
Inamorata, Barrel Aged Golden Sour
Invented Tradition, Barrel Fermented Farmhouse Ale
Third Smile, Barrel Fermented Buckwheat Farmhouse
Loquacious, Pinot Noir Barrel Aged Quadruple-inspired Ale with Brettanomyces Lambicus

Pretty typical Ontario stuff. We'll have bottles of Flemish Cap, Praxis, Imposter Syndrome, Rhizome: Centennial/Cascade, and Loquacious in the shop tomorrow evening too.

Working on a new golden strong beer right now (in the middle of brewing) for those that liked our last ones. This one is a little hoppier (Citra/Columbus). Next Rhizome will be out in a few weeks using Equinox/Mosaic and a new version of Escarpment Labs' "Fruit Bomb" Saison blend. We've got an rustic ale coming out called "Country North" that uses 100% Ontario malt (Barn Owl's Lager and Munich malts), Hops (Clear Valley Hallertau), and Yeast (Escarpment Labs Wild Thing wild Ontario Sacc). And we've got a large batch of an Ontario Peach Super Saison that's currently finishing up its longer term peach fermentation stage. Hoping to have some green 750 mL (Dupont style) out of one/more of our beers in the next month or so (just waiting on some label design work). Probably other stuff in the works too... barrels and stuff? Hard to remember it all.

Thanks to those of you have visited and enjoyed in our first year. Hope to see some of you tomorrow or in the next while.

Cheers,
Chris

rfrf

Post by rfrf »

Loquacious is great.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Folly has been falling under the BT radar. I popped in there last night and they have a nice selection right now. And I applaud the reasonable prices (everything $6 or $7 for 500ml). Lots of experimentation going on with funky yeast. Right now I'm enjoying Unconquered Sun - Barrel Aged Spelt Saison. Complex funkiness, barnyard, tropical fruit, lemon-tartness, vinous notes and even some wood from the spending 8 months in a wine barrel.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Definitely creative. A buddy of mine hated going there, because "everything was a saison" for some time...it is nice to see a bit more variety coming from them.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

It's definitely a limited range. While they offer many styles, they are usually funked up interpretations. Even the coffee porter currently available has Brett. However, there is always space for more funky ales in my fridge.