Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Amsterdam Brewery

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Amsterdam Brewery

Post by El Pinguino »

I'm out of country until Xmas, but see Amaterdam is having a release for Double Tempest in mid-Nov....'shindig on Nov 14' I think I saw.

Anyone know if bottles will show up at lcbo again?

If not...would be grateful if someone can secure a bottle for me.

Cheers!

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

El Pinguino wrote:I'm out of country until Xmas, but see Amaterdam is having a release for Double Tempest in mid-Nov....'shindig on Nov 14' I think I saw.
Where does on find out about their releases? Their website and facebook page are not helpful from what I can see.

jp_jkl

Post by jp_jkl »

napoleon wrote: Where does on find out about their releases? Their website and facebook page are not helpful from what I can see.
As far as I know, they don't really post about their releases. Double Tempest seem to be one of the only/few exceptions.

I don't find their bottle shop(s) to be worthy of a visit as 90% of what's in there is in any old LCBO. If they advertised what was available, I would likely visit if I knew something unique was there. I would also occasionally stop in for a drink at the bar or order some food like I do with Bellwoods, Junction, Rainhard, Left Field or GLB. Craft beer is quickly becoming a saturated market in this city and social media only makes it easier to get inspired to visit one of these places.
Last edited by jp_jkl on Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

jp_jkl wrote:
napoleon wrote: Where does on find out about their releases? Their website and facebook page are not helpful from what I can see.
As far as I know, they don't really post about their releases. Double Tempest seem to be one of the only/few exceptions.

I don't find their bottle shop(s) to be worthy of a visit as 90% of what's in there is in any old LCBO. If they advertised what was available, I would likely visit if I knew something unique was there. I would also occasionally stop in for a drink at the bar or order some food like I do with Bellwoods, Junction, Rainhard, Left Field or GLB. Craft beer is quickly becoming a saturated market in this city and social media makes only makes it either to get inspired to visit one of these places.
This. I work very close to esandar and I'd rather not go there and leave empty handed, so I don't go at all. Also

Barrel Aged Double Tempest 2015 Update! It will be released at 1:00pm for $14.00 with a 6 bottle maximum at at both retail locations (45 Esandar & 245 Queens Quay) until supplies last.. cheers!

walz22

Post by walz22 »

If I remember correctly, that's $1 cheaper than last year and a higher bottle limit. Sounds good to me (unless I'm totally wrong...)

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

DeMarco wrote:
This. I work very close to esandar and I'd rather not go there and leave empty handed, so I don't go at all. Also

Barrel Aged Double Tempest 2015 Update! It will be released at 1:00pm for $14.00 with a 6 bottle maximum at at both retail locations (45 Esandar & 245 Queens Quay) until supplies last.. cheers!

Out of curiosity, where did you you get this. Everything I seem to find only lists the Queen's Quay location and the "southern BBQ" that will accompany the release. As a Leesider adjacent I would much prefer getting in line at Esandar...

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

It appears my use of Facebook is middling. I see the post now.

As a side-note, why can't a brewery the size of Amsterdam have a bottle shop inventory page like Bellwoods or Burdock that is either refreshed in real time, or at least daily? I would likely stop in much more often if I knew I could get something other than 416 or Downtown Brown, etc. which are at every LCBO I have ever been to. Their seemingly sporadic use the various social media platforms makes it even worse. I have to luck into noticing an announcement.

Not knowing what is in stock at a brewery does not make me visit more often. Quite the reverse actually.

jp_jkl

Post by jp_jkl »

Coronaeus wrote:Out of curiosity, where did you you get this. Everything I seem to find only lists the Queen's Quay location and the "southern BBQ" that will accompany the release. As a Leesider adjacent I would much prefer getting in line at Esandar...
They have a Facebook event page where they posting updates:

For anyone thinking of picking up some Double Tempest, this was my experience last year. I got to the Leaside location 10 mins after it went on sale. There was a long line, but it was indoors and moved quickly. I waited about 30 mins or so in line... I can't remember exactly. I believe it sold out just over an hour after it went on sale. Later in the day, I saw on social media that the Queens Quay location had some bottles later in the day.

With a 6 bottle maximum this year instead of 4, I would assume/hope there are more bottles available.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Coronaeus wrote:Not knowing what is in stock at a brewery does not make me visit more often. Quite the reverse actually.
Agree.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

walz22 wrote:If I remember correctly, that's $1 cheaper than last year and a higher bottle limit.
I believe you are correct. I think it was $15/4 bottle max last year.

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

18 hands is available at esander. 6.50 for 650ml

jp_jkl

Post by jp_jkl »

Regarding Double Tempest... From the event page on Facebook,
This years batch comes in at 11.9% and is as delicious as ever, aged in Heaven Hill's Bourbon Barrels
Previous years were 14% abv in Buffalo Trace barrels.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Still happy to take a bottle or two if anyone is heading to the event this weekend....I'll be back in mid-December.

MeltedOzark

Post by MeltedOzark »

Who's heading down to Queens Quay for Double Tempest today? I don't have anyone to go with so feel free to say hi and chat a bit. I'll be the really tall guy in the Phish hat and Crooked Stave sweater.

Very much looking forward to trying Double Tempest.

admviolin

Post by admviolin »

MeltedOzark wrote:Who's heading down to Queens Quay for Double Tempest today? I don't have anyone to go with so feel free to say hi and chat a bit. I'll be the really tall guy in the Phish hat and Crooked Stave sweater.

Very much looking forward to trying Double Tempest.
I'm going to go down for about 12:30.