Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Collective Arts

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

I enjoyed the peach flavour but overall it was kinda bland. Doesn't really drink like an IPA.

The Gose with Guava is delicious despite having less salt than expected.

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

I'm pretty meh on No. 6 as well. I'd rather not see any fruit, sour, lactose etc. type beers in this series but hey, I'm not the brewer. I want beers that are solidly in the "trad" IPA category (i.e. hoppy). Loved no. 5. If I had my druthers I'd love to see them do a triple IPA for the winter months. Something in the 11-12% ABV range in a 355 ml can.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Gedge wrote:I'm pretty meh on No. 6 as well. I'd rather not see any fruit, sour, lactose etc. type beers in this series but hey, I'm not the brewer. I want beers that are solidly in the "trad" IPA category (i.e. hoppy). Loved no. 5. If I had my druthers I'd love to see them do a triple IPA for the winter months. Something in the 11-12% ABV range in a 355 ml can.
FYI - Radio the Mothership Imperial IPA is now in a 355 ml can.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

JaseWescott wrote:I hope IPA No. 7 is more interesting like a Sour or Brut IPA.
Available at the brewery is:

Hot Pink Brut IPA brewed with Hallertau Blanc and Vic Secret Hops.

I bought some Saturday, but haven't tried it yet.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Last edited by Belgian on Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Beerum Veritas

Napalm Frog

Post by Napalm Frog »

Belgian wrote:
BeerIsGood wrote:I was just on the brewery website and saw that IPA no. 5 will be LCBO released in February.
I'll be clearing space in my fridge, And liver. Maybe I just won't drink in Jan 2019.
That post was Jan '18 in reference to Feb '19? Regardless, would be smart for them to convert successful numbered brews to regular ones.

To echo a comment made earlier, Collective Arts has been killer, but on a slow downhill since IPA 5... I'm sure some of that is seasonality and expansion outside of the US, but curious to see what innovations are coming up soon.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Napalm Frog wrote:That post was Jan '18 in reference to Feb '19? Regardless, would be smart for them to convert successful numbered brews to regular ones.

To echo a comment made earlier, Collective Arts has been killer, but on a slow downhill since IPA 5... I'm sure some of that is seasonality and expansion outside of the US, but curious to see what innovations are coming up soon.
Oh FFS... I bet you the #5 was simply not enough return on investment. Materials and the time it occupied their brew tanks.

The last few new CA beers I tried have been 'underpowered' I would say. The #6 Peach IPA is surprisingly so for nearly five bucks a can. Oh well. As long as they have the Clouds IPA they can have my business! I just hope they don't dilute away their brand appeal in an attempt to scale up and reach markets.
In Beerum Veritas

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

Belgian wrote:Oh well. As long as they have the Clouds IPA they can have my business!
^ yup!
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Just tried #6... it’s not good.

Quotashun

Post by Quotashun »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:Just tried #6... it’s not good.
Ugh so bad. Tried it on Sunday.

JaseWescott

Post by JaseWescott »

sigh :oops:

https://ontariobev.net/collective-arts- ... -releases/

IPA 7 (6.7%) – “Next up in our IPA series is a bright, New World hop characteristics of fresh crushed gooseberry and white grape. An IPA that showcases the unique qualities of New Zealand hops.”
Available: TBA

tyler90

Post by tyler90 »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:Just tried #6... it’s not good.
I got a distinct rubber smell from mine. Anyone else? I had it on tap at the brewery.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

JaseWescott wrote:sigh :oops:

IPA 7 (6.7%) – “Next up in our IPA series is a bright, New World hop characteristics of fresh crushed gooseberry and white grape. An IPA that showcases the unique qualities of New Zealand hops.”
Looking forward to the wet hop and No. 7, but I'm over the whole sour / gose / berliner craze and wish it would go die a quiet death somewhere. I appreciate the complexities of something like a Cantillon, but I find that too many of the beers we're getting are carbon copies of each other or fruited versions on a theme. Its the same with milkshake IPAs - if I have one I often get to the bottom of my glass and wonder if it wouldn't have been better to spend my money on a glass of juice instead.

Shit, I'm becoming cantankerous as I age.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Bobsy wrote:
JaseWescott wrote:sigh :oops:

Looking forward to the wet hop and No. 7, but I'm over the whole sour / gose / berliner craze and wish it would go die a quiet death somewhere. I appreciate the complexities of something like a Cantillon, but I find that too many of the beers we're getting are carbon copies of each other or fruited versions on a theme. Its the same with milkshake IPAs - if I have one I often get to the bottom of my glass and wonder if it wouldn't have been better to spend my money on a glass of juice instead.

Shit, I'm becoming cantankerous as I age.
This. All of this.

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

Totally agree on the Berliner/Gose/Sour trend. These styles used to be a once in a while treat, but there are way, way too many of them out there now. So frustrating when you go into a decent beer bar and they've got half a dozen of these and only one or two IPAs. Too many saisons/farmhouse ales too (barrel-aged this, aged on tart-cherries that).