Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Collective Arts

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Steve

Post by Steve »

Is anyone else rather annoyed at some of the special releases being sold in 4-packs only? They sell every other beer as singles so I don't quite understand the justification for only selling them in 4-packs, it certainly doesn't make it easier for the consumer.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Surround Sound and Hydro Thunder came as part of my CA beer club package. So far surround Sound is underwhelming. It's an OK IPA as it is, but if they're saying it's a No. 5 mass produced, they missed the mark.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Steve wrote:Is anyone else rather annoyed at some of the special releases being sold in 4-packs only? They sell every other beer as singles so I don't quite understand the justification for only selling them in 4-packs, it certainly doesn't make it easier for the consumer.
I'd guess the justification is that they sell more cans. The Bartowel crowd may not appreciate it, but I think most don't mind. Alternatively they could just discount the 4-packs on a per can basis and have the best of both worlds.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Quotashun wrote:Anyone else try Hydro Thunder yet? It was released at the bottle shop last Saturday; collab DIPA with Twin Sails. I was so disappointed by it (especially since they made you buy four, otherwise, I would have just grabbed a couple to try out). Completely lacking carbonation, just syrupy flat booziness. Ugh.
Having Hydro Thunder now, mine is well carbonated, but the bitterness is all in front, next to no malt, and the after taste is really lacking, hence the syrup/booziness

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Seem to be reading/experiencing more and more inconsistency and quality issues with CA these last couple months. Are they maybe stretching themselves a bit thin??

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Steve wrote:Is anyone else rather annoyed at some of the special releases being sold in 4-packs only? They sell every other beer as singles so I don't quite understand the justification for only selling them in 4-packs, it certainly doesn't make it easier for the consumer.
I know I buy less beer from CA as a result. I generally like most things from them but they miss just often enough that buying 4x $4-5/can beers and paying shipping without having tried them is not something I am super keen on. Obviously they think the extra sales make up for people like me.

portwood

Post by portwood »

JerCraigs wrote:
I know I buy less beer from CA as a result. I generally like most things from them but they miss just often enough that buying 4x $4-5/can beers and paying shipping without having tried them is not something I am super keen on. Obviously they think the extra sales make up for people like me.
To be fair, its nearly impossible for breweries to survive selling one can at a time to untappd tickers...
Having said that, it is odd to sell a special release in 4-packs when all regulars sell as singles. The opposite strategy would seem to make more sense.

I'm probably in the minority but if breweries packaged in small cans (12oz/355ml) I'd buy multiples (4 or 6 packs) more readily than multi-packs of 16 ouncers. I probably wouldn't have bought more than 2 x 473ml GL Thrust an IPA, but bought one 4 x 355ml pack ... and will likely go back for more
@markhamwhisky

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

JerCraigs wrote:Having said that, it is odd to sell a special release in 4-packs when all regulars sell as singles. The opposite strategy would seem to make more sense.
Agree with this.
JerCraigs wrote:I'm probably in the minority but if breweries packaged in small cans (12oz/355ml) I'd buy multiples (4 or 6 packs) more readily than multi-packs of 16 ouncers.
I definitely prefer to buy singles rather than 4 or 6 packs, but 355 vs 473 is not much of an issue for me.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

portwood wrote: To be fair, its nearly impossible for breweries to survive selling one can at a time to untappd tickers... Having said that, it is odd to sell a special release in 4-packs when all regulars sell as singles. The opposite strategy would seem to make more sense.
I think the sales trends at the LCBO probably disagree with that - a significant percentage of craft beer (perhaps the majority now? I don't actually know) is sold in single cans. A four pack of 2x2 different beers would be preferable to me as a potential online customer. That said, I'm sure they have some people buying them by the dozen, so they don't need me.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I was in the BO the other day and I was surprised at how much stuff has made the transition to cans. Like forget craft IPAs, I got a can of Paulaner doppelbock. Even the seasonal premium beers are moving to cans. Flying monkeys chocolate manifesto, for example, used to always be a 750 bottle, but now is in cans.

portwood

Post by portwood »

Craig wrote:Flying monkeys chocolate manifesto, for example, used to always be a 750 bottle, but now is in cans.
Nope!
was at the BO yesterday and, unless the bottles were from last year (difficult to tell with no dates), they are in fact 473ml bottles.
(went down to the basement to double check size of last yrs bottle, yup 473ml)
@markhamwhisky

-Liam-

Post by -Liam- »

sofakingdrunk wrote:Seem to be reading/experiencing more and more inconsistency and quality issues with CA these last couple months. Are they maybe stretching themselves a bit thin??
I agree that they seem to be having inconsistency issues lately. I regularly buy LITC but have found it to be basically a different beer these days. So I decided to grab a couple cans of Ransack, which was my go to beer before LITC, and it really wasn't very good. It seems to have changed also.
I'm finding that Zodiak is fairly consistent whenever I buy it.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

portwood wrote:
Craig wrote:Flying monkeys chocolate manifesto, for example, used to always be a 750 bottle, but now is in cans.
Nope!
was at the BO yesterday and, unless the bottles were from last year (difficult to tell with no dates), they are in fact 473ml bottles.
(went down to the basement to double check size of last yrs bottle, yup 473ml)
Oh. I swear I saw a can, must have been mistaken. Odd size for a bottle, no?

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

-Liam- wrote:
sofakingdrunk wrote:Seem to be reading/experiencing more and more inconsistency and quality issues with CA these last couple months. Are they maybe stretching themselves a bit thin??
I agree that they seem to be having inconsistency issues lately. I regularly buy LITC but have found it to be basically a different beer these days. So I decided to grab a couple cans of Ransack, which was my go to beer before LITC, and it really wasn't very good. It seems to have changed also.

Absolutely agree. I used to buy at least a couple cans of ransack whenever I was instore. But last few times it hasn’t been the same. Decent, but not as good as once was. I’ve stopped buying litc as the last half dozen or so I’ve had haven’t been very good. Not very long ago CA was imo the best readily available brewery in the province. Lately though, I’ve hardly been buying any of their stuff. Ipa 6 kind of shit, 7 is quite nice, but not 5$ nice.
I’m with you, been buying a lot of Zodiak lately, as it’s been tasting great to me. Not sure if it’s me, or the recipe has changed....but when it first came out I didn’t think it was nearly as good as I do now.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

sofakingdrunk wrote:
-Liam- wrote:

Absolutely agree. I used to buy at least a couple cans of ransack whenever I was instore. But last few times it hasn’t been the same. Decent, but not as good as once was. I’ve stopped buying litc as the last half dozen or so I’ve had haven’t been very good. Not very long ago CA was imo the best readily available brewery in the province. Lately though, I’ve hardly been buying any of their stuff. Ipa 6 kind of shit, 7 is quite nice, but not 5$ nice.
I’m with you, been buying a lot of Zodiak lately, as it’s been tasting great to me. Not sure if it’s me, or the recipe has changed....but when it first came out I didn’t think it was nearly as good as I do now.
I've not noticed any consistency issues, and have bought more LITC than I can count. One thing that I always make sure to do it check the date code on the bottom of the can. Wherever I go, the codes seem to be either August or October, and the discrepancy between the two could go a long way to explaining some of the variation that people are finding. Maybe more stock hitting the shelves and sitting?

Like IPA 5, 6 wasn't for me. & was decent but the price is a bit of a tipping point for a non-imperial. The barrel aged porter is very nice, but must have significant mark-up on packaging (a la mill street barleywine), and that alone will stop me going back for more. Bring it in at $10 without a tub and print and I'd grab a few.