Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Collective Arts

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Does anybody else have problems with the Collective Arts website? I have sometimes managed to get on it and successfully navigate around, but most often I get caught in an endless loop with it asking me if I'm legal drinking age. I can't figure it out at all. Even following posted links to their winter release has both worked and not worked.

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

S. St. Jeb wrote:Does anybody else have problems with the Collective Arts website? I have sometimes managed to get on it and successfully navigate around, but most often I get caught in an endless loop with it asking me if I'm legal drinking age. I can't figure it out at all. Even following posted links to their winter release has both worked and not worked.

Yes.

Wasn't able to enter the website until I switched browsers

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

sofakingdrunk wrote:
S. St. Jeb wrote:
BeerIsGood wrote:I am really growing to love this brewery.
They make a lot of great stuff! I had their new Lunch Money Ale at a restaurant last weekend....initial impression was not good, but heh, nobody's perfect. I like these guys. Nice place too if you get a chance to stop in.
Is Lunch money just a re-branding of Stash?? I remember seeing on the Stash can it saying "straight up ale". And Lunch money says the same thing. If this is the case, then yeah, I agree with you. Not a very good beer as far as I'm concerned. Really the only dud in the CA lineup. I'm not a fan of saint of circumstance, but it's not bad.
Doesn't appear to be. Both are shown on their website.

Stash: "STASH is brewed with Cascade hops, Canadian malts and California ale yeast."

Lunch Money: "Lunch Money is a straight-up, easy drinking, ale brewed exclusively with German Magnum and Centennial hops to fuel your creativity."

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

I've never had them side by side, but I'd be shocked if they were the same beer. STASH didn't impress me all that much, but I find Lunch Money to be a pretty decent sessional quaff.

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

From the horse's mouth, they are not the same beer:

That being said, having tasted them both within the last week (there is still Stash stock lingering in these parts), the difference isn't exactly huge

BeerIsGood

Post by BeerIsGood »

Just had the IPA No 5, which is excellent.

Quotashun

Post by Quotashun »

BeerIsGood wrote:Just had the IPA No 5, which is excellent.
Yup, love it. Dangerously easy to drink for 8.2%ABV.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I just tried the CA #5 IPA (double IPA) which I think has an excellent big tropical fruit aroma. Expansive hop character. The foggy 'New England' glass presentation and citrusy hop flavors are great, also gentle spicy-resiny aspects like spruce forest. The particular malting and substantial ABV gives this ale a definite roundness which you may love or hate. This is good and I feel at least obligated to 'catch up' on the many Collective Arts brews I have not yet tried, there are so many available in cans right now at the Danforth Greektown store, & the cold storage room makes a compelling argument to buy hoppy ales there and not at my local Beaches Queen Coxwell.

* Edit * well now Queen-Coxwell has them in the COLD display, so I guess I'm not complaining! And this February batch (or canning) is utterly glorious. This IIPA pretty much nails it for a style I enjoy right now, with just the right amount of lemon-candy-dust and subtle hop cone resins. I almost don't know how to describe it.
In Beerum Veritas

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Belgian wrote:* Edit * well now Queen-Coxwell has them in the COLD display, so I guess I'm not complaining! And this February batch (or canning) is utterly glorious. This IIPA pretty much nails it for a style I enjoy right now, with just the right amount of lemon-candy-dust and subtle hop cone resins. I almost don't know how to describe it.
I agree wholeheartedly. It's the best IPA available at the 'BO right now and I grab at least a can or two every time I'm there. Kudos to CA for absolutely nailing the style.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Belgian wrote:I just tried the CA #5 IPA (double IPA) which I think has an excellent big tropical fruit aroma. Expansive hop character. The foggy 'New England' glass presentation and citrusy hop flavors are great, also gentle spicy-resiny aspects like spruce forest. The particular malting and substantial ABV gives this ale a definite roundness which you may love or hate. This is good and I feel at least obligated to 'catch up' on the many Collective Arts brews I have not yet tried, there are so many available in cans right now at the Danforth Greektown store, & the cold storage room makes a compelling argument to buy hoppy ales there and not at my local Beaches Queen Coxwell.

* Edit * well now Queen-Coxwell has them in the COLD display, so I guess I'm not complaining! And this February batch (or canning) is utterly glorious. This IIPA pretty much nails it for a style I enjoy right now, with just the right amount of lemon-candy-dust and subtle hop cone resins. I almost don't know how to describe it.

Agreed, and thx for the heads up on the new shipment. I was able to re-stock :)

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Belgian wrote:I almost don't know how to describe it.
LOL. In my reading of this board, you've never been in a position where you didn't know how to describe something. Well, I guess you did say "almost". :D

GtownRandy

Post by GtownRandy »

The wife and I split a couple of ipa 5 from the feb 14 batch, it’s definitely not as hazy as the Jan. batch

JaseWescott

Post by JaseWescott »

anybody else find IPA No. 6 disappointing? a couple beer reviewers on Youtube didn't like it either. this is a rare swing and miss from Collective Arts.

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

JaseWescott wrote:anybody else find IPA No. 6 disappointing? a couple beer reviewers on Youtube didn't like it either. this is a rare swing and miss from Collective Arts.
i find the ir batting average has fallen below the Mendoza line in 2018
Reliable Beer Critic

JaseWescott

Post by JaseWescott »

it's a really strange beer. the peach puree, hops and malt are balanced in a way that nothing stands out. somebody said it taste like mouthwash but I think it's more like after you brush your teeth and drink something hehe :D

I hope IPA No. 7 is more interesting like a Sour or Brut IPA.