Collective Arts

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: GregClow, Cass

User avatar
JaseWescott
Posts: 220
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:08 pm
Location: Hamilton

Re: Collective Arts

Postby JaseWescott » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:18 am

looks like Hazy State is making it's way to USA and probably LCBO.

Image
User avatar
Belgian
Bar Towel Legend
Posts: 9887
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:15 pm
Location: Earth

For All The Hopping Cretins

Postby Belgian » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:32 pm

CA Surround Sound, liking this even more this time with the fullness and the rich resiny hops that have a lemon zest nuance. Some vanilla and tasty tropical fruit. Only a little peppery, and big DIPA palate with alcohol slightly warm as expected and suitable dry to balance the hefty malt bill. Pretty amazing.

Edit - this is the new version Two.

Hops One has Simcoe Citra Galaxy

Hops Two has Simcoe and Amarillo
In Beerum Veritas
sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly
Posts: 765
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:55 am
Location: Guelph

Re: For All The Hopping Cretins

Postby sofakingdrunk » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:38 am

Belgian wrote:CA Surround Sound, liking this even more this time with the fullness and the rich resiny hops that have a lemon zest nuance. Some vanilla and tasty tropical fruit. Only a little peppery, and big DIPA palate with alcohol slightly warm as expected and suitable dry to balance the hefty malt bill. Pretty amazing.

Edit - this is the new version Two.

Hops One has Simcoe Citra Galaxy

Hops Two has Simcoe and Amarillo



I’m also loving this version of surround sound. Top notch stuff.
User avatar
JaseWescott
Posts: 220
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:08 pm
Location: Hamilton

Re: Collective Arts

Postby JaseWescott » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:31 am

another US label

Image
duckdown
Posts: 130
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:23 pm
Location: ELMIRA

Re: Collective Arts

Postby duckdown » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:55 pm

Anyone tried their new Tangerine Sour or the FEST IPA?
Living Organic Soil Cannabis Hobbyist

I also have a small but growing Beer chat room, message me for details!
User avatar
ry_kinney
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:27 pm
Location: Scarborough

Re: Collective Arts

Postby ry_kinney » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:12 am

duckdown wrote:Anyone tried their new Tangerine Sour or the FEST IPA?


Tangerine Sour is ok but I prefer their dry hopped raspberry sour. It's available for online orders, just received mine yesterday.

I didn't order the Fest IPA, not a fan of fruited IPAs. Would try one can but not a 4 pack.
duckdown
Posts: 130
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:23 pm
Location: ELMIRA

Re: Collective Arts

Postby duckdown » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:39 pm

Heads up there’s defective batch of Ransack The Universe going around. Bunch of guys who I chat with every day bought the beer and it’s got tons of chunky separated parts in the pour.

LCBO is aware of the problem though and giving gift card receipts no questions asked
Living Organic Soil Cannabis Hobbyist

I also have a small but growing Beer chat room, message me for details!
duckdown
Posts: 130
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:23 pm
Location: ELMIRA

Re: Collective Arts

Postby duckdown » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:43 pm

ry_kinney wrote:not a fan of fruited IPAs


Damn, I love em. Top 3 styles
Living Organic Soil Cannabis Hobbyist

I also have a small but growing Beer chat room, message me for details!
sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly
Posts: 765
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:55 am
Location: Guelph

Re: Collective Arts

Postby sofakingdrunk » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:47 pm

duckdown wrote:Heads up there’s defective batch of Ransack The Universe going around. Bunch of guys who I chat with every day bought the beer and it’s got tons of chunky separated parts in the pour.

LCBO is aware of the problem though and giving gift card receipts no questions asked



The last four cans I’ve had of Ransack have been chunky. Two this week, and two probably a month ago....they tasted perfectly fine to me, but didn’t look great. I’m not one to completely write off a beer or brewery, because of some “chunky” beer like some other have been. Goes down just the same.
duckdown
Posts: 130
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:23 pm
Location: ELMIRA

Re: Collective Arts

Postby duckdown » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:13 am

sofakingdrunk wrote:
duckdown wrote:Heads up there’s defective batch of Ransack The Universe going around. Bunch of guys who I chat with every day bought the beer and it’s got tons of chunky separated parts in the pour.

LCBO is aware of the problem though and giving gift card receipts no questions asked



The last four cans I’ve had of Ransack have been chunky. Two this week, and two probably a month ago....they tasted perfectly fine to me, but didn’t look great. I’m not one to completely write off a beer or brewery, because of some “chunky” beer like some other have been. Goes down just the same.


I like the beer too, but the pics looked gnarly.. hopefully gets resolved as LCBO is giving out refunds for it and allowing people to keep the beer
Living Organic Soil Cannabis Hobbyist

I also have a small but growing Beer chat room, message me for details!
sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly
Posts: 765
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:55 am
Location: Guelph

Re: Collective Arts

Postby sofakingdrunk » Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:33 pm

duckdown wrote:
sofakingdrunk wrote:
duckdown wrote:Heads up there’s defective batch of Ransack The Universe going around. Bunch of guys who I chat with every day bought the beer and it’s got tons of chunky separated parts in the pour.

LCBO is aware of the problem though and giving gift card receipts no questions asked



The last four cans I’ve had of Ransack have been chunky. Two this week, and two probably a month ago....they tasted perfectly fine to me, but didn’t look great. I’m not one to completely write off a beer or brewery, because of some “chunky” beer like some other have been. Goes down just the same.


I like the beer too, but the pics looked gnarly.. hopefully gets resolved as LCBO is giving out refunds for it and allowing people to keep the beer



Yeah, they’ve Definately not been pretty to look at. The four cans I’ve bought had all been from Zehrs, didn’t realize it was such a widespread thing.

I remeber when Sparklepuff was having the chunks as well, I got one out of 3 cans I drank that was chunky. Again, didn’t look great but tasted just fine.
User avatar
ry_kinney
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:27 pm
Location: Scarborough

Re: Collective Arts

Postby ry_kinney » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:16 pm

I don't mind the chunks. Often those batches taste better (ie Sparklepuff, Life In The Clouds) From what I've heard and my very limited brewing knowledge it's due to too much protein.

Whatever, give it a swirl before you pour that last quarter! You'll be fine!
duckdown
Posts: 130
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:23 pm
Location: ELMIRA

Re: Collective Arts

Postby duckdown » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:12 pm

sofakingdrunk wrote:didn’t realize it was such a widespread thing.

yeah, several peeps i've seen report it now and even post their pics on the chatroom

I remeber when Sparklepuff was having the chunks as well, I got one out of 3 cans I drank that was chunky. Again, didn’t look great but tasted just fine.

Hahah yeah?? One of the guys sort of 'works' there i'll be sure to razz him about it

CHEERS
Living Organic Soil Cannabis Hobbyist

I also have a small but growing Beer chat room, message me for details!
duckdown
Posts: 130
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:23 pm
Location: ELMIRA

Re: Collective Arts

Postby duckdown » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:13 pm

ry_kinney wrote:I don't mind the chunks. Often those batches taste better (ie Sparklepuff, Life In The Clouds) From what I've heard and my very limited brewing knowledge it's due to too much protein.

Whatever, give it a swirl before you pour that last quarter! You'll be fine!


I've been waiting to hear a definitive answer either way..

Is it drinkable?

Does it mean it's gone bad?

Do you try to not pour the chunks?

I had a couple from Montreal that had chunks the size of kraft dinner noodles
Living Organic Soil Cannabis Hobbyist

I also have a small but growing Beer chat room, message me for details!
User avatar
Craig
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1713
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:23 am

Re: Collective Arts

Postby Craig » Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:00 pm

Chunks in fresh beer are generally (I say generally because there are always edge cases) no big deal and cosmetic in nature. Flavorless proteins suspended in the beer or excess yeast in suspension that fit whatever reason didn't crash out when it should. Probably a sign of carelessness on the part of the brewery and should technically be considered a flaw if it's not intentional like it would be in a hazy beer, but it's largely cosmetic.

In old, especially hoppy, beers it can be a sign that the beer is way past prime. These will look more flakey than fresh beer with chunks. This is still just proteins falling out of suspension, but it's a sign of a beer that's past prime. This isn't really a sign of a mistake on the brewer's part, it's just old.

There also a chance of floaties in infected beer, but you won't need tips to know that beer is off. It will smell and taste awful.

Return to “Ontario Brewers”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests