Brothers Brewing

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: GregClow, Cass

User avatar
MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly
Posts: 745
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:45 pm
Location: Woolwich, ON
Contact:

Brothers Brewing

Postby MatttthewGeorge » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:20 pm

According to their instagram page, Brothers, who are currently contracting out of Niagara Collage and listing their home as Pelham, is opening a brewpub in downtown Guelph: https://instagram.com/p/9wKO08g_Uj/

Rumour has been around for months, including that they're going into the old Petrie Building. Their website puts their location marker on their google map as such.
untappd/tweetbox/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge
atomeyes
Beer Superstar
Posts: 2151
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:39 pm

Re: Brothers Brewing

Postby atomeyes » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:51 pm

MatttthewGeorge wrote:According to their instagram page, Brothers, who are currently contracting out of Niagara Collage and listing their home as Pelham, is opening a brewpub in downtown Guelph: https://instagram.com/p/9wKO08g_Uj/

Rumour has been around for months, including that they're going into the old Petrie Building. Their website puts their location marker on their google map as such.


so we have Blood Brothers Brewery and Brothers Brewing?
brilliant.
sprague11
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1903
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:37 pm
Location: Newmarket, ON

Re: Brothers Brewing

Postby sprague11 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:31 am

"No no no, we're the other brothers."
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo
User avatar
lister
Beer Superstar
Posts: 2035
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:33 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: Brothers Brewing

Postby lister » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:59 pm

Eskimo brothers? :lol:
lister
User avatar
Craig
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1655
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:23 am

Re: Brothers Brewing

Postby Craig » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:01 pm

There's also Mackinnon Brothers. Quite the trending name.
mahcinesquad
Posts: 167
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 6:09 pm
Location: Guelph

Re: Brothers Brewing

Postby mahcinesquad » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:56 pm

sprague11 wrote:"No no no, we're the other brothers."


What's amusing that The Other Brother's was a name of a restaurant downtown Guelph... although that was several years ago.
mahcinesquad
Posts: 167
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 6:09 pm
Location: Guelph

Re: Brothers Brewing

Postby mahcinesquad » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:22 am

They've also launched an Indiegogo campaign to raise some funds. Looks like they're targeting a May 2016 opening.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/brothers-ale-house#/
atomeyes
Beer Superstar
Posts: 2151
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:39 pm

Re: Brothers Brewing

Postby atomeyes » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:21 pm

mahcinesquad wrote:They've also launched an Indiegogo campaign to raise some funds. Looks like they're targeting a May 2016 opening.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/brothers-ale-house#/


"Cool!" - 2013 beer geek
liamt07
Bar Fly
Posts: 597
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:36 pm
Location: Downsview/Toronto

Re: Brothers Brewing

Postby liamt07 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:04 pm

atomeyes wrote:
mahcinesquad wrote:They've also launched an Indiegogo campaign to raise some funds. Looks like they're targeting a May 2016 opening.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/brothers-ale-house#/


"Cool!" - 2013 beer geek


Hahaha. Perfect.
atomeyes
Beer Superstar
Posts: 2151
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:39 pm

Re: Brothers Brewing

Postby atomeyes » Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:06 am

liamt07 wrote:
atomeyes wrote:
mahcinesquad wrote:They've also launched an Indiegogo campaign to raise some funds. Looks like they're targeting a May 2016 opening.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/brothers-ale-house#/


"Cool!" - 2013 beer geek


Hahaha. Perfect.


fuck. saw your reply and i had to watch the video.
first off, can someone please find this cliche book that gofundme's use and burn it?
-video of guys sitting down? check
-slow-ish country song in the background? check
-"we're just short of our funds" plea? check.
-brewery video showing most boring parts of brewing process? check

"we've just fallen short of our budget, but hey, we've spent part of our budget filming this video and more money on t-shirts! need to wear our t-shirts with our logo!"

and then the camera shows the outside and inside of the lovely 100 year old building. looks like mould or water damage on 1 of the walls. the outside facade is in dire need of repair. the windows are also probably old and not up to code. and not a single thing's been done to reno the inside. so you're telling me $20 000's all you need to fix that? i'm looking at $300 000 in renos, at a minimum.

or, of course, the indegogo page is just a really lame, dated version of advertising. get people to donate. bring awareness to your brewery. and no one really pays attention if you hit your target because those days are long gone.

i hate being a cynic. really, i do.
portwood
Posts: 283
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:56 pm
Location: Markham
Contact:

Re: Brothers Brewing

Postby portwood » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:40 am

atomeyes wrote:fuck. saw your reply and i had to watch the video.
first off, can someone please find this cliche book that gofundme's use and burn it?
-video of guys sitting down? check
-slow-ish country song in the background? check
-"we're just short of our funds" plea? check.
-brewery video showing most boring parts of brewing process? check

"we've just fallen short of our budget, but hey, we've spent part of our budget filming this video and more money on t-shirts! need to wear our t-shirts with our logo!"

and then the camera shows the outside and inside of the lovely 100 year old building. looks like mould or water damage on 1 of the walls. the outside facade is in dire need of repair. the windows are also probably old and not up to code. and not a single thing's been done to reno the inside. so you're telling me $20 000's all you need to fix that? i'm looking at $300 000 in renos, at a minimum.

or, of course, the indegogo page is just a really lame, dated version of advertising. get people to donate. bring awareness to your brewery. and no one really pays attention if you hit your target because those days are long gone.

i hate being a cynic. really, i do.

Being a cynic, though, ensures your hard earned money stays in YOUR pocket rather than pay for someone else to build a sandbox to play in!

WTF has this world come to with all this crowdfunding BS?

You want to build a business (that turns a profit)? do it with your own money or bring in investors that will share in the risk and reward (profit). Business is not charity!

You want to build a non-profit business (ie a hobby)? do it with your own money!

You want my money? produce a product I want to buy and I will gladly pay you a fair price for it (and you will earn enough profit to continue) and/or give me a piece of the action to compensate me for the risk.

TEN BUCKS for a sticker? Get real!
Then again, based on the $ raised to date ... there's a fool born every minute ... which is why there's a con-artist born every 10 minutes.
@markhamwhisky
mahcinesquad
Posts: 167
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 6:09 pm
Location: Guelph

Re: Brothers Brewing

Postby mahcinesquad » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:43 am

atomeyes wrote:
liamt07 wrote:
mahcinesquad wrote:They've also launched an Indiegogo campaign to raise some funds. Looks like they're targeting a May 2016 opening.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/brothers-ale-house#/

Hahaha. Perfect.


fuck. saw your reply and i had to watch the video.
first off, can someone please find this cliche book that gofundme's use and burn it?
-video of guys sitting down? check
-slow-ish country song in the background? check
-"we're just short of our funds" plea? check.
-brewery video showing most boring parts of brewing process? check

"we've just fallen short of our budget, but hey, we've spent part of our budget filming this video and more money on t-shirts! need to wear our t-shirts with our logo!"

and then the camera shows the outside and inside of the lovely 100 year old building. looks like mould or water damage on 1 of the walls. the outside facade is in dire need of repair. the windows are also probably old and not up to code. and not a single thing's been done to reno the inside. so you're telling me $20 000's all you need to fix that? i'm looking at $300 000 in renos, at a minimum.

or, of course, the indegogo page is just a really lame, dated version of advertising. get people to donate. bring awareness to your brewery. and no one really pays attention if you hit your target because those days are long gone.

i hate being a cynic. really, i do.


Don't like GoFundMe/KickStarter/Indiegogo that's fine. But as for the building, it's a heritage building in Guelph. I think the only building remaining in Ontario with a tin work on the front. Anyways, developers bought the building this past spring and are restoring it. From what I understand, Brothers Brewing have some partnership with the developer to cover that.

So, what was once a just diner in the bottom floor, with the rest of the floors empty, is now going to become a restored building and house several new businesses. As a Guelphite, I'm looking forward to it.

I also really doubt you hate being a cynic.
atomeyes
Beer Superstar
Posts: 2151
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:39 pm

Re: Brothers Brewing

Postby atomeyes » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:18 pm

mahcinesquad wrote:Don't like GoFundMe/KickStarter/Indiegogo that's fine. But as for the building, it's a heritage building in Guelph. I think the only building remaining in Ontario with a tin work on the front. Anyways, developers bought the building this past spring and are restoring it. From what I understand, Brothers Brewing have some partnership with the developer to cover that.

So, what was once a just diner in the bottom floor, with the rest of the floors empty, is now going to become a restored building and house several new businesses. As a Guelphite, I'm looking forward to it.

I also really doubt you hate being a cynic.


i just wish that people, including you, gave me reasons to not be a cynic.
nothing knocking the building. but a $20K crowd sourcing campaign (which is an outdated form of fundraising by 2 years and is an outdated form of trying to get publicity) to raise money for repairs? either they know nothing about business and repair costs or it's just a gimmick. that's what i'm knocking, not their intent to repair that building.

it all just smells kind of crappy.

hope you enjoy your $10 sticker, though.
User avatar
Craig
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1655
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:23 am

Re: Brothers Brewing

Postby Craig » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:49 pm

How is it outdated? They're raising money and they for us taking about them.

If they're renting, most of the repairs you're taking about would be the responsibility of the owner. 20k could go a long way towards what they need to do. Or it could just be a marketing ploy for them. Either way I don't see why it's upsetting.
atomeyes
Beer Superstar
Posts: 2151
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:39 pm

Re: Brothers Brewing

Postby atomeyes » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:02 am

Craig wrote:How is it outdated? They're raising money and they for us taking about them.

If they're renting, most of the repairs you're taking about would be the responsibility of the owner. 20k could go a long way towards what they need to do. Or it could just be a marketing ploy for them. Either way I don't see why it's upsetting.


i don't think anyone's upset. such silly terminology. think we're just calling it out for what it is. it's a dated ploy. crowd funding was overdone 1-2 years ago and no one really cares much any more. in toronto, look at the Schnitzel Queen crowd funding campaign as a good example.
you state an idea, play a guitar-based blues or country song as the soundtrack and throw money at an idea you dig = 2 years ago.

and an owner is not in charge of renoing the interior. $20K won't go a long way. i know reno costs. if it does, as i said, then they have to question their funding model OR they are totally DIYing it and doing it on the cheap.

i'd like to tell you more about my opinion. please view my Gofundme video, where i'll sell my opinion to you along with an Atomeyes shot glass for $30. :)

Return to “Ontario Brewers”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron