Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Brothers Brewing

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Brothers Brewing

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

According to their instagram page, Brothers, who are currently contracting out of Niagara Collage and listing their home as Pelham, is opening a brewpub in downtown Guelph: https://instagram.com/p/9wKO08g_Uj/

Rumour has been around for months, including that they're going into the old Petrie Building. Their website puts their location marker on their google map as such.
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:According to their instagram page, Brothers, who are currently contracting out of Niagara Collage and listing their home as Pelham, is opening a brewpub in downtown Guelph: https://instagram.com/p/9wKO08g_Uj/

Rumour has been around for months, including that they're going into the old Petrie Building. Their website puts their location marker on their google map as such.
so we have Blood Brothers Brewery and Brothers Brewing?
brilliant.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

"No no no, we're the other brothers."
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Eskimo brothers? :lol:
lister

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

There's also Mackinnon Brothers. Quite the trending name.

mahcinesquad

Post by mahcinesquad »

sprague11 wrote:"No no no, we're the other brothers."
What's amusing that The Other Brother's was a name of a restaurant downtown Guelph... although that was several years ago.

mahcinesquad

Post by mahcinesquad »

They've also launched an Indiegogo campaign to raise some funds. Looks like they're targeting a May 2016 opening.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

mahcinesquad wrote:They've also launched an Indiegogo campaign to raise some funds. Looks like they're targeting a May 2016 opening.

"Cool!" - 2013 beer geek

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

atomeyes wrote:
mahcinesquad wrote:They've also launched an Indiegogo campaign to raise some funds. Looks like they're targeting a May 2016 opening.

"Cool!" - 2013 beer geek
Hahaha. Perfect.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

liamt07 wrote:
atomeyes wrote:

"Cool!" - 2013 beer geek
Hahaha. Perfect.
fuck. saw your reply and i had to watch the video.
first off, can someone please find this cliche book that gofundme's use and burn it?
-video of guys sitting down? check
-slow-ish country song in the background? check
-"we're just short of our funds" plea? check.
-brewery video showing most boring parts of brewing process? check

"we've just fallen short of our budget, but hey, we've spent part of our budget filming this video and more money on t-shirts! need to wear our t-shirts with our logo!"

and then the camera shows the outside and inside of the lovely 100 year old building. looks like mould or water damage on 1 of the walls. the outside facade is in dire need of repair. the windows are also probably old and not up to code. and not a single thing's been done to reno the inside. so you're telling me $20 000's all you need to fix that? i'm looking at $300 000 in renos, at a minimum.

or, of course, the indegogo page is just a really lame, dated version of advertising. get people to donate. bring awareness to your brewery. and no one really pays attention if you hit your target because those days are long gone.

i hate being a cynic. really, i do.

portwood

Post by portwood »

atomeyes wrote: fuck. saw your reply and i had to watch the video.
first off, can someone please find this cliche book that gofundme's use and burn it?

"we've just fallen short of our budget, but hey, we've spent part of our budget filming this video and more money on t-shirts! need to wear our t-shirts with our logo!"

and then the camera shows the outside and inside of the lovely 100 year old building. looks like mould or water damage on 1 of the walls. the outside facade is in dire need of repair. the windows are also probably old and not up to code. and not a single thing's been done to reno the inside. so you're telling me $20 000's all you need to fix that? i'm looking at $300 000 in renos, at a minimum.

or, of course, the indegogo page is just a really lame, dated version of advertising. get people to donate. bring awareness to your brewery. and no one really pays attention if you hit your target because those days are long gone.

Being a cynic, though, ensures your hard earned money stays in YOUR pocket rather than pay for someone else to build a sandbox to play in!

WTF has this world come to with all this crowdfunding BS?

You want to build a business (that turns a profit)? do it with your own money or bring in investors that will share in the risk and reward (profit). Business is not charity!

You want to build a non-profit business (ie a hobby)? do it with your own money!

You want my money? produce a product I want to buy and I will gladly pay you a fair price for it (and you will earn enough profit to continue) and/or give me a piece of the action to compensate me for the risk.

TEN BUCKS for a sticker? Get real!
Then again, based on the $ raised to date ... there's a fool born every minute ... which is why there's a con-artist born every 10 minutes.
@markhamwhisky

mahcinesquad

Post by mahcinesquad »

atomeyes wrote:
liamt07 wrote:

Hahaha. Perfect.
fuck. saw your reply and i had to watch the video.

Don't like GoFundMe/KickStarter/Indiegogo that's fine. But as for the building, it's a heritage building in Guelph. I think the only building remaining in Ontario with a tin work on the front. Anyways, developers bought the building this past spring and are restoring it. From what I understand, Brothers Brewing have some partnership with the developer to cover that.

So, what was once a just diner in the bottom floor, with the rest of the floors empty, is now going to become a restored building and house several new businesses. As a Guelphite, I'm looking forward to it.

I also really doubt you hate being a cynic.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

mahcinesquad wrote: Don't like GoFundMe/KickStarter/Indiegogo that's fine. But as for the building, it's a heritage building in Guelph. I think the only building remaining in Ontario with a tin work on the front. Anyways, developers bought the building this past spring and are restoring it. From what I understand, Brothers Brewing have some partnership with the developer to cover that.

So, what was once a just diner in the bottom floor, with the rest of the floors empty, is now going to become a restored building and house several new businesses. As a Guelphite, I'm looking forward to it.

I also really doubt you hate being a cynic.
i just wish that people, including you, gave me reasons to not be a cynic.
nothing knocking the building. but a $20K crowd sourcing campaign (which is an outdated form of fundraising by 2 years and is an outdated form of trying to get publicity) to raise money for repairs? either they know nothing about business and repair costs or it's just a gimmick. that's what i'm knocking, not their intent to repair that building.

it all just smells kind of crappy.

hope you enjoy your $10 sticker, though.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

How is it outdated? They're raising money and they for us taking about them.

If they're renting, most of the repairs you're taking about would be the responsibility of the owner. 20k could go a long way towards what they need to do. Or it could just be a marketing ploy for them. Either way I don't see why it's upsetting.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Craig wrote:How is it outdated? They're raising money and they for us taking about them.

If they're renting, most of the repairs you're taking about would be the responsibility of the owner. 20k could go a long way towards what they need to do. Or it could just be a marketing ploy for them. Either way I don't see why it's upsetting.
i don't think anyone's upset. such silly terminology. think we're just calling it out for what it is. it's a dated ploy. crowd funding was overdone 1-2 years ago and no one really cares much any more. in toronto, look at the Schnitzel Queen crowd funding campaign as a good example.
you state an idea, play a guitar-based blues or country song as the soundtrack and throw money at an idea you dig = 2 years ago.

and an owner is not in charge of renoing the interior. $20K won't go a long way. i know reno costs. if it does, as i said, then they have to question their funding model OR they are totally DIYing it and doing it on the cheap.

i'd like to tell you more about my opinion. please view my Gofundme video, where i'll sell my opinion to you along with an Atomeyes shot glass for $30. :)