Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Best Bottle Shops

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

mistermurphy

Post by mistermurphy »

We just updated our website to have a listing of what's available in the "bottle shop". Scroll to the bottom of the home page.

http://www.leftfieldbrewery.ca

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

mistermurphy wrote:We just updated our website to have a listing of what's available in the "bottle shop". Scroll to the bottom of the home page.

Excellent! I shall visit more often.

Dennis

Post by Dennis »

mistermurphy wrote:We just updated our website to have a listing of what's available in the "bottle shop". Scroll to the bottom of the home page.

I see you also have the Brewmaster's Glass back in stock - awesome. I broke mine a few months ago.

mistermurphy

Post by mistermurphy »

We also made a brew finder on the website so you can see LCBO's or bars/restaurants near you that carry Left Field.

http://www.leftfieldbrewery.ca/brew-finder

Sorry to hijack the thread.

Shoutouts to the Rainhard, Indie and Burdock bottle shops. Looking forward to the others that are popping up as well over the next few months.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

nickw wrote: You're being pretty willfully obtuse. Silly laws or not, in Ontario, a bottle shop is going to be what a lot people here are referring to when they're talking about the part of the brewery operation that sells bottles.
my replies were relatively polite.
if you (and others) want to be dicks and call people obtuse, then do it.

a bottle shop would also include the LCBO and the Beer Store by definition, as it would in other provinces, where you'd separate breweries' bottle shops from, for example, Deps.

shit like this is the reason that Toronto brewers hate BarTowel.
if you're going to be a dick and insult people, at least choose a better reason to be a dick.

good luck, nick.

nickw

Post by nickw »

Mmhmm, thanks for the luck. Doing well with that, actually! 8)

Anyway, seems like 20 people seem to agree that brewery bottle shops are, indeed, bottle shops, including a brewer. You're the only one disagreeing with semantics and the Ontario use of a term that has a slightly different definition elsewhere.

(Apologies for that, everyone) Back to the OP -- Bellwoods is my local bottle shop and my go-to, and I've certainly wrapped more than a couple of beer-gifts with their cloth carrying bag, but I'll also throw my support behind Left Field and Indie in the city (I haven't been up to Burdock yet for their lovely new packaging). Sawdust City has been good in the past, too.

Fully agree on the positives of knowing the availability of what's in stock at any given time. I've gone out of my way if I know there's something I want to pick up, but, unless I'm in the area, won't bother popping in "just in case" there's something new or interesting there. So kudos to Bellwoods, Burdock, Left Field, Rainhard and others for keeping that up to date. It's 2015, and even the LCBO and Beer Store (sorta) do that for each location. It's not a huge investment.

alsiem

Post by alsiem »

I'm definitely going to try to get out to Rainhard. The bottle shop page shows 4 beers. In people's experience have they always had a good amount of stock on hand or is the fridge near empty often?

Rainhard is a huge pain in the ass for me to get to so I'd be happier if I was certain to get a good variety.

Junction is also great. Again, wrong side of the city for me. I wish they had bottle shop hours in the afternoons on Friday. The only time I've ever been is on vacation days where I've gone out to lunch/shopped in the West side. To be fair, when I've shown up before 4 pm they've always sold me beer so perhaps it's not much of an issue.

cirriform

Post by cirriform »

alsiem wrote:I'm definitely going to try to get out to Rainhard. The bottle shop page shows 4 beers. In people's experience have they always had a good amount of stock on hand or is the fridge near empty often?
Rainhard's bottle shop page on their website is not updated. However, they do dependably post what will be in their fridge for their weekend open hours on social media every Thursday or Friday.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Only had time to stop in at the bottle shop :D at Rainhard brewery once....was really short on time as I was on my way to a baseball game up that way.

Had an open, rustic no-attitude vibe which I liked as I waited in line to get some bottles. It's definitely on my hit list to visit more often when I'm back in town. Hopefully their overall hours expand a bit during the holidays too.

alsiem

Post by alsiem »

I hit up Rainhard one afternoon. For me the location is just too far to make this a regular stop when accessing by TTC. They only had 2 beers, a black IPA and Tru Grit which is a Farm House Ale (I think).

I have tried neither beer yet so this isn't a criticism of the product but rather, hours, location and amount of brands on hand in my rating scheme.

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

alsiem wrote:I hit up Rainhard one afternoon. For me the location is just too far to make this a regular stop when accessing by TTC. They only had 2 beers, a black IPA and Tru Grit which is a Farm House Ale (I think).

I have tried neither beer yet so this isn't a criticism of the product but rather, hours, location and amount of brands on hand in my rating scheme.
I agree the location is a bit of a challenge. It was an easy task when I was on bike...a harder task with the TTC.

You probably just hit a rather unusual blip in their availability. They just had a huge holiday party and sold out of a bunch of stuff, as well as they had some new equipment delivered and installed that kind of stalled product for a bit. Normally they have at least 4 beers on tap and often 6. Usually at least 4 beers or so available in bottles. Maybe give them another try sometime.