Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Royal City

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Royal City

Post by Craig »

These guys have 4 wine barrel beers out today:

- Barley Wine
- Brett Quad
- Imperial Stout
- Malt "N" Peppa (American Brown Ale w pepper)

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

Just tried one of their soured ales tonight - Lock, Stock In a Sour Barrel (5.3%). It's their stock ale aged for 6 months in Chardonnay wine barrels (from Tawse Winery), and it's pretty darn refreshing and delightful. Well-integrated funky sourness, with subtle buttery oak and vinous grape flavours. At $7/bomber, the price is reasonable by Ontario standards.

Not sure when I'll be heading up to Guelph next, but I'll definitely be making another stop at this place. Their year-round beers are pretty average, and their seasonals are hit/miss, but this brew has encouraged me to keep an eye out for more of their wine barrel-aged stuff. That pepper ale definitely sounds right up my alley.

mahcinesquad

Post by mahcinesquad »

They have their 2nd year anniversary on this weekend. 25+ beers on tap at the brewery and special releases.

keirdaghthered

Post by keirdaghthered »

It's getting late for this, not sure for how much longer it'll be out, but Royal City's Polar Vortex which is out right now is a really nice light vanilla porter

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

There is a “lager-fest” happening at Royal City on Family Day weekend. There’s some big hitters from the Ontario lager scene attending. Godspeed,True History and Sonnen Hill will all be there. Shortfinger and Willibald amoung others.
Each of the past 3-4 years I’ve looked forward to Royal City releasing the “Regal lager” so I’d imagine it’s coming in time for lager fest.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Yeah, that sounds like a fun time, I'm hoping to go.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

Hoping to make it out for this as well.
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

As expected, the Godspeed/De La Senne collab was the standout. Incredibly clean and crisp with a light Smokey finish. Not surprised at all that the keg was gone before the end of the first night. True History was also really really good along with the Sonnen Hill. Goodlot’s Pilsner really hit the spot as well. A nice event showcasing some nice lagers and a good change of pace these days. Also a fun idea being able to get a 1L stein. IMO maybe some wasted tap space on some home town breweries mediocre beer(fixed gear,Brothers and Sleeman) but I get it, makes sense in the spirit of community.