Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Brothers Brewing

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

zane9

Post by zane9 »

atomeyes wrote: it's not picking. it was a legit question.
I'll repeat this, and this is the last time: I have no business or professional interest in the brewery.
atomeyes wrote:...while they're proclaiming their lack of macroness, and i and most of my friends have no patience for this silliness....
The brewery's attractiveness to some consumers is a complete negative to others. So you and your friends won't buy this brewery's products, a great example of people voting with their wallets. Private enterprise operating as per specs.

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

liamt07 wrote:I thought this video was terrible.

Put more focus on the actual product and less on the unfunny "lol lets go viral" shtick.
I'll agree with that! I've only tried one of their products, "Cocoa Woman", which is a chocolate gose. WTF to that style right? It was somewhat worse than expected. I don't know what their other beers taste like, but I think they need to master a few basics before going crazy with the novelty styles. Rogue at least got some basic beers right before some of their specialty beers jumped the shark.

Napalm Frog

Post by Napalm Frog »

napoleon wrote:

Put more focus on the actual product and less on the unfunny "lol lets go viral" shtick.
I'll agree with that! I've only tried one of their products, "Cocoa Woman", which is a chocolate gose. WTF to that style right? It was somewhat worse than expected. I don't know what their other beers taste like, but I think they need to master a few basics before going crazy with the novelty styles. Rogue at least got some basic beers right before some of their specialty beers jumped the shark.
You're thinking of Blood Brothers, based here in TO. This video is from Brothers, out in the Guelph area.

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

napoleon wrote:

The confusion begins. Cocoa Woman is Blood Brothers...a different brewery.
"There's always money in the banana stand."

zane9

Post by zane9 »

Coronaeus wrote:...It seems like every fifth new brewery has a familial designation in the name (Blood Brothers, Brothers, 4 Fathers, etc.). I mean, I have no plans to open a brewery but am thinking I should register a name just in case we start running out of allowable combinations! I'd hate to be left with 2 Step-Mothers and a Sickly Uncle Brewing Company.
Don't forget to add MacKinnon Brothers Brewing to the list!

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

zane9 wrote:
atomeyes wrote: it's not picking. it was a legit question.
I'll repeat this, and this is the last time: I have no business or professional interest in the brewery.
atomeyes wrote:...while they're proclaiming their lack of macroness, and i and most of my friends have no patience for this silliness....
The brewery's attractiveness to some consumers is a complete negative to others. So you and your friends won't buy this brewery's products, a great example of people voting with their wallets. Private enterprise operating as per specs.
yes yes, you established this on the 1st page. i'm responding to the others grumbling in this thread about anyone having the audacity to call out a brewery for having shitty promo videos.
glad you enjoy the sizzle. leaves the prime cuts of steak for a small group of us to eat.

zane9

Post by zane9 »

atomeyes wrote:...glad you enjoy the sizzle. leaves the prime cuts of steak for a small group of us to eat.
There are so many of us who enjoy the prime cuts. "Shitty videos" are irrelevant. We all can choose which breweries to buy from, and which to ignore.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

zane9 wrote:
atomeyes wrote:...glad you enjoy the sizzle. leaves the prime cuts of steak for a small group of us to eat.
There are so many of us who enjoy the prime cuts. "Shitty videos" are irrelevant. We all can choose which breweries to buy from, and which to ignore.
and which to call out when they're nothing but a gimmick.
c'est la vie.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

atomeyes wrote:
zane9 wrote:
and which to call out when they're nothing but a gimmick.
c'est la vie.
And who to shit on only because they like things that are different from the things we like?

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

This has to be the worst thread on Bartowel.

Please don't make it worse with a "well you don't have to click on it" type of comment. Let's just let this one die. It's stupid.
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Craig wrote:
And who to shit on only because they like things that are different from the things we like?
this site is built on shitting on things that others don't like and calling out things that set the bar low. see the LCBO/Beer Store threads as the prime example.

Toronto beer geeks are really a strange beast. we lap up mediocrity and then slam things that are popular and successful because it pains us to see someone do something good and succeed. use the bitching about Bellwoods as the prime example.

in the end, we're talking about a brewery's video. Not their beer. their video. i'm trying to imagine if Asheville, Portland or Denver had a moment parallel to this video. maybe Rogue's beard yeast beer. i.e. a dumb gimmick. and if some people want to eat it up? cool. but all apologies for me, and others, calling it like we see if. heaven forbid we do that.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:This has to be the worst thread on Bartowel.

Please don't make it worse with a "well you don't have to click on it" type of comment. Let's just let this one die. It's stupid.
I'm sure Brothers Brewing will enjoy it when they stumble upon it...

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

All press is good press, or something.