Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Godspeed Brewery

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

yeah i'm with midlife crisis on this, godspeed rules. the spot itself is wonderful, welcoming and relaxed. the beer are all extremely well made and dialed in. if they don't have a bunch of IPA's and kettle sours... so be it. go literally anywhere else.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

The new IBUSHI Smoked Pilsner is nice, it's in the store although stock may be too new to be on the web page.

The gentle smoke works nicely and it doesn't stand in the way of the brightness and the freshness of the style. This underlines the crispness. Worth grabbing at least a few. I love that they have this one, the Otsukaresama Dortmunder and the beautifully understated NONBE Oktoberfest all on right now, excellent. German craft beer trend with Japanese style accents!
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Godspeed has two fruited ales freshly on offer. Kekkon Wedding Anniversary Ale is new!.

Kekkon 結婚, reminds me a bit of really good Raspberry Wheat ale, plus hints of lactic sourness, sea salt and smoke. I like the acidity.

Kazoku Tart Saison with Plum is as good as last year, possibly better. Lots of that golden plum flavor, nice minty-dry bit of hop finish.

Also I must have overlooked the Kiri Belgian Witbier yesterday, or it was just put out now?
Speaking of wheat beer I have been religiously observing Oktoberfest with plenty of the Shirinami "White Wave" Hefeweizen.

In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

The brew store just released brand new, a stronger, maltier Czech Lager. From Facebook:
New addition to our Czech Lagers family.

Silný Ležák 17º (Czech Premium Strong Pale Lager, 7.4% abv) is a continuation of our ongoing efforts to brew beers in the Czech tradition. This particular lager was inspired by our brewmaster's visit to Budvar Brewery in the Czech city of České Budějovice. Within its maze of lagering vessels, he tried a bolder and maltier version of the pale lagers he'd grown accustomed to and decided to craft one of his own for proper winter drinking. In accordance with Czech brewing philosophy, Godspeed's version was decocted and cold conditioned for 8 weeks. Czech floor malted pils and Saaz hops form an array of rich caramelized, bready malt notes and herbal, spice hop character. We hope it inspires you the way the style's progenitor inspired us.

Also, our Tmavý Ležák 12° (Czech Premium Dark Lager, 4.7% abv) is back at the retail store.

Cheers & Happy holidays!
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Finally some GS Pale Ale again! Enjoying this new MINE American-style Pale Ale - very fresh and refined, with some juicy citrus nuances that are surprisingly delicate and almost mandarin-like. A good one, also on tap at The Only Cafe.

In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Went by Godspeed at 5pm, holy cow they were just labelling up some Dortmunder and were OUT of some things (or most things - home delivery is quite a success) so I got some fresh Shizumu West Coast IPA.

This is extremely nice especially when it warms in the glass. Good resiny citrusy hop bite along with a firm dry middle supported by comforting bready-fruity malt. It's not what I came there to get but I'm not disappointed.

In Godspeed We Trust.... image stolen from Untappd.

In Beerum Veritas

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Belgian wrote:Shizumu West Coast IPA.
Lovely beer, makes me wish for a west coast IPA renaissance.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Godspeed just released its first barrel aged beer. I've got high hopes and a shipment on its way.

cboden

Post by cboden »

beerstodiscover wrote:Godspeed just released its first barrel aged beer. I've got high hopes and a shipment on its way.
Same here. Fingers crossed that it tastes like Péché Mortel - Bourbon. Am I setting my expectations too high? :lol:

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

cboden wrote:Fingers crossed that it tastes like Péché Mortel - Bourbon. Am I setting my expectations too high? :lol:
I think so, this ain’t a cheater beer loaded with coffee. However it is delicious, quite smokey and complex with oak, vanilla, cola, fruity flavours all over.

Godspeed made a lager version of Peche last year which was every bit as good as the original, if not better.

cboden

Post by cboden »

beerstodiscover wrote:
cboden wrote:Fingers crossed that it tastes like Péché Mortel - Bourbon. Am I setting my expectations too high? :lol:
I think so, this ain’t a cheater beer loaded with coffee. However it is delicious, quite smokey and complex with oak, vanilla, cola, fruity flavours all over.

Godspeed made a lager version of Peche last year which was every bit as good as the original, if not better.
oooooh, this sounds even better! I'm very excited given who the brewmaster is for this beer. I love BBA's and have been rather disappointed by most Ontarian offerings lately.

duckdown

Post by duckdown »

Picked up a big variety of their stuff this week

Looking forward to trying it

Also got their glass, very nice glassware

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

The newer Baby Shizumu completely rocks, good full taste for a session IPA.

Oberkassel Altbier is also perfectly dry full and tasty for this warmer season.

(Edit - I drank these only cellar-cool, which added to the impression of fulness.)
Last edited by Belgian on Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Beerum Veritas

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

I disliked Baby Shizumu. I just don't think West Coast versions of session IPAs work... and I'm a WC IPA fan.

Světlý Ležák 12º blew me away though! Possibly the best lager in Ontario. And Taru Ichi was beautiful.
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

[quote][/quote]Thank g-dness for G-dspeed for we have access to interesting drinkable beers like this
Reliable Beer Critic