Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Godspeed Brewery

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

I went on a recent Saturday afternoon. The keg conditioned version of the Dortmunder was the star of the show for me, just outstanding. Yes, the takeaway prices are maybe a bit shocking but the drink-in price is in line with other similar places in T.O. I also really liked the decor and the whole Japanese vibe (a daily Kombucha on tap!), if I can put it that way. Smaller serving sizes mean it may not be the optimal place for a long session, but is a great place for sampling, etc. All in all I quite liked it and I'm a bit puzzled by the negativity, especially from those who were its biggest proponents before it opened. Wasn't he supposed to blow Toronto's lacklustre craft Brewers out of the water? Perhaps that has not quite happened but Godspeed is a very fine addition to the Toronto brewing scene IMO.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

midlife crisis wrote:All in all I quite liked it and I'm a bit puzzled by the negativity, especially from those who were its biggest proponents before it opened.
People convinced themselves that this place was going to be DDC Ontario right off the bat, which I don't believe was ever his intention.

FWIW The Dort has become a regular in my fridge.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

sprague11 wrote:
midlife crisis wrote:All in all I quite liked it and I'm a bit puzzled by the negativity, especially from those who were its biggest proponents before it opened.
People convinced themselves that this place was going to be DDC Ontario right off the bat, which I don't believe was ever his intention.

FWIW The Dort has become a regular in my fridge.
Over hyped for months/years before opening...peopel are finally coming back to reality now I think.

I like the space and the food...feel the beers are average. But if they keep changing up the beers with enough frequency, I'll return now and then.

As for my fridge...can't say there is anything that ever becomes a regular any more, with so many options to choose from! That's a good thing.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

The Dai Dai (Saison with Japanese Bitter Orange) is no Bellwoods Hop Creamsicle Fruit Explostion, it's just super nice with a deft touch of citrus peel and orange fruit set against the hop, brett and spice. 'To Dai for'? I have no idea as I speak no Japanese.

The Natsu Summer Ale is also very accomplished and subtle. 'Natsu be missed'? Again, you got me. But the great style again seems more than Occidental.
In Beerum Veritas

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Belgian wrote:The Dai Dai (Saison with Japanese Bitter Orange) is no Bellwoods Hop Creamsicle Fruit Explostion, it's just super nice with a deft touch of citrus peel and orange fruit set against the hop, brett and spice. 'To Dai for'? I have no idea as I speak no Japanese.

The Natsu Summer Ale is also very accomplished and subtle. 'Natsu be missed'? Again, you got me. But the great style again seems more than Occidental.
Liking what I've heard and read about Godspeed so far. Hoping to visit this weekend. Thanks for the reviews.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

cratez wrote:Hoping to visit this weekend.
Hope there's Dai Dai left for you in the store. Seemed to be a fair bit there today, I'm really digging it.
In Beerum Veritas

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Finally stopped by yesterday. The space is amazing ~ can't think of another Ontario brewery with a more inviting space. Tried 3 of the offerings, all of which were solid. It's a nice break from the norm to be able to have 3 full pours and not be buzzed at all :)

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

TheSevenDuffs wrote: ~ can't think of another Ontario brewery with a more inviting space.
Haven't hung there yet but want to soon, it's a great space. Elora Brewery with its ancient timbers and exposed limestone probably wins my 2017 vote for most gorgeous and inviting space, offering warmth and class in spades - plus it's Elora for the most incredible walks in close range. Beers are delightful as well.
Some places like Stone City (I like these guys too) can have a slightly cold antiseptic vibe to them I find. It's a tricky balance. Clean and modern + warmth and charm = win. Maybe some places keep tweaking it.
In Beerum Veritas

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

I really like Left Field. Maybe not just the space, but the whole atmosphere they have created with the young families, dogs and baseball. Can't beat it. Unfortunately many agree as it is often rammed and lined up on weekends. I agree Godspeed is just great too. Very different from LF, but love the vibe of each.

alsiem

Post by alsiem »

Jury is still out for me.

Really liked: Dortmunder Lager
Liked :the Stout
Indifferent to both the Transatlantic and Natsu Summer Ale.

There's nothing flawed with the beers, I think I just prefer the styles that Muddy York and Left Field (to limit to the East end) brew and to date, I'm not seeing a lot of hopping in the beers on offer. For example, I think the Trans Atlantic ale was supposed to be a combo of English and NA style (I'm guessing by the name). I just thought it was a one note malty ale. St Mary's Axe is much further along the curve to something that I enjoy.

Still have never stuck around in the space but it certainly seems to be a success.

munrets

Post by munrets »

Finally went by a few days ago. Like many have said, the space is spectacular.

I bought two of everything that was in the fridge and was entirely unimpressed by all of it. Perhaps this reflects my lack of refinement, but even if the beers are on-point for style, I just didn't like any of them. Budweiser might be on-point for style, but I don't like it.

The cost was high, and if I'm going to consume calories from beer these days, they're going to be from beers that are not so boring.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

I had their Kellerbier at Bar Hop last night. I was a little disappointed. I found it too hoppy and heavy bodied for the style. Or perhaps just the wrong hops. I hope they continue to tune this one up. It's a beer I would like to enjoy and it follows their stated goal of making nice modest styles of beer well.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:Finally stopped by yesterday. The space is amazing ~ can't think of another Ontario brewery with a more inviting space. Tried 3 of the offerings, all of which were solid. It's a nice break from the norm to be able to have 3 full pours and not be buzzed at all :)
Now I definitely need to check this place out. It seems like solid sessionable beers are what Bim is aiming for.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

ChrisK wrote:Now I definitely need to check this place out. It seems like solid sessionable beers are what Bim is aiming for.
Albeit, served in smaller glasses that are normally associated with sours, saisons and higher abv beers generally. But it's a minor point and presumably part of the overall aesthetic, which I really liked as well.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Tapsucker wrote:I had their Kellerbier at Bar Hop last night... I hope they continue to tune this one up...
Ahh the Momiji. Will have to see what's in cans at the shop right now.
midlife crisis wrote:
ChrisK wrote:... seems like solid sessionable beers are what Bim is aiming for.
Albeit, served in smaller glasses that are normally associated with sours, saisons and higher abv beers generally. But it's a minor point...
At BeerBistro yesterday we were discussing the lack of half-liter or pint sizes generally nowadays - though there WERE a good handful there eg. Side Launch, Hacker, and Shillow Sass on the Side which sort of HAVE to be sold in classic format. Not all the 'session' beers out there are in wussy 300-400ml sizes. I definitely agree the portion size should be a trade off of other factors like gravity, ABV, flavor impact / diluteness, sippability etc.
I even resent paying $8.00 for a pint of Wellington Arkell bitter I can down in about five minutes, it's mostly water and should be very reasonable & enjoyed in quantity. The steep pricing is a disservice to the existence and appeal of those easier-going styles.
In Beerum Veritas