Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Godspeed Brewery

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Blasphomet wrote:Glassware? Anyone? :)
I had the Dort in my Cerna Hory glass. I'm a Dorty Hore.
In Beerum Veritas

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

Belgian wrote:
Blasphomet wrote:Glassware? Anyone? :)
I had the Dort in my Cerna Hory glass. I'm a Dorty Hore.
No I just meant like do they sell glassware at the shop as per my question above lol. :)

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Didn't notice ANY glassware in the store except for a 'tip jar.'

** update ** no beer glassware or anything of that nature currently sold at the brewery.
Last edited by Belgian on Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Beerum Veritas

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

seangm wrote:
atomeyes wrote:Call it like you see it.
Beer is average at best.
Ignore his history or cache and go based on the current offerings.
His IPA was shitty and a smoked Saison sounds pretty ungood.
This is just a weird project and even worse than that, no one is calling a spade a spade. So many Toronto beer "writers" all up in his cookie dough, sucking the beer god dick.
So amateur, so gross.
Didn't you make a big deal out of pretty much the exact same thing not too long ago when Bakagaijin said something similar, going as far as making the offending quote your signature to remind us of the apparently homophobic transgression? Be consistent.
Just to be clear...my reference to "sucking dick" had nothing to do with homophobia. Anyone can suck dick. Male, female, she-male. I view the phrase as something along the lines of the Japanese expression "gomasuri", but perhaps, a bit saltier.

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

The Dormunder on draft was outstanding, I've had it since in the can too. Full-flavoured, rich, with a dominating mineral/vegetal German hop taste. Some faint apple in the background. Just so much better than almost any German beer import I've had, which is down to the freshness and simpler processing surely.

I feel the IPA was so-so, something in the aftertaste. The smoked saison was correct in palate, the stout was fine although not as good IMO as the stout at Grove brewery which opened earlier this week in Kingsville (brewpub with growlers). It's the best I've had In Ontario and has the clean but rich, firmly bitter taste of European classics like Carnegie and Koff porter.

My view is, if you get one beer at any pub or brewery that is a classic, it has more than justified its place in the market. That's the case with the Dortmunder at Godspeed. But I believe the other beers will ratchet up as time goes on. Any new place needs a bit of time to tool up to its maximum, and the Dort shows the depth of the brewing savvy they have there. I cut them some slack in terms of the other styles.

As to price, the Dortmund is worth it, IMO.
Gary Gillman

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

Belgian wrote:Didn't notice ANY glassware in the store except for a 'tip jar.'

** update ** no beer glassware or anything of that nature currently sold at the brewery.
Bummer. I don't get why places like Burdock don't have glassware. I'm not the only one who not only loves great beer, but also has an insane glassware addiction. :D

Napalm Frog

Post by Napalm Frog »

There was a recent post on Insta or FB saying that Godspeed is aiming to get glassware soon. No details beyond that.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

The Toronto Star: Godspeed Brewery: crafted suds served with a taste of Japan

^ from a few days ago. Interesting story about his attempt to set up in Japan & his eventually settling here & bringing Japanese comfort food with him.
Lafontaine says he will truly need godspeed to do well in this tight marketplace, but is hoping his quality offerings and unique location will make a difference. “I’m not taking anything for granted.”
I want to try the food now!
In Beerum Veritas

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Belgian wrote:The Toronto Star: Godspeed Brewery: crafted suds served with a taste of Japan

^ from a few days ago. Interesting story about his attempt to set up in Japan & his eventually settling here & bringing Japanese comfort food with him.
Lafontaine says he will truly need godspeed to do well in this tight marketplace, but is hoping his quality offerings and unique location will make a difference. “I’m not taking anything for granted.”
I want to try the food now!
The food was quite good. Only 2-3 things I'd personally eat...so after my next visit I hope they change up the menu enough so I don't get bored. Or at least have more exciting beers. The space is very nice and I hope to swing by again later this week for a quick bite n brew.

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

FINALLY got a chance to check out Godspeed, was not disappointed in the slightest. Tried pretty much everything outside of the IPA, I believe, and was thoroughly impressed. They just released a Dai Dai saison which is so delicious. Light and slightly tart. Absolutely loved it. Shame it wasn't available in cans, tho it will be later this week.

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

I like the glasses they post in their social media pics. The stemless ones... similar to HHoE. I hope they'll have those for sale. If anyone figures out when it is is happening or when it happens, let us know! :)

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Will be back for the IPA. Currently at the brewery store: cans of Stout, Smoked Saison, Dortmunder and the Transatlantic Pale.

The Pale is very nice too, like the Dortmunder it's satisfyingly substantial but also fresh and almost too easy to quaff. Some nice light citrus pith and resin. More like an ESB in appearance so maybe there's a touch more caramel malt at play to balance out the bittering hops.

^ What would you specify this beer style to be? It doesn't seem as earthy or minerally (or even floral & alefruity) as an ESB or EPA should be, so I'm going with American Pale Ale.
In Beerum Veritas

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

Yeah the pale ale is delish, and I say that as someone who typically doesn't like ESB's at all

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

Blasphomet wrote:I like the glasses they post in their social media pics. The stemless ones... similar to HHoE. I hope they'll have those for sale. If anyone figures out when it is is happening or when it happens, let us know! :)
Retail store guy said very soon

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

:)
jeremyg wrote:
Blasphomet wrote:I like the glasses they post in their social media pics. The stemless ones... similar to HHoE. I hope they'll have those for sale. If anyone figures out when it is is happening or when it happens, let us know! :)
Retail store guy said very soon