Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Godspeed Brewery

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Belgian wrote:
Craig wrote:Make the hike up to the Danforth and go to the Wren. Lake Inez is their sister restaurant I believe, but I've never been.
Always wondered how the food is at Wren, really great looking place and nice servers and customers (making it virtually an emblem of the new east Dan thing) but never ate there.
Great pubby food. Burgers, fried chicken, some Tex-Mex sort of stuff iirc (chimichangas maybe?) Nothing terribly daring or innovative, but tasty and filling.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

atomeyes wrote:Call it like you see it.
Beer is average at best.
Ignore his history or cache and go based on the current offerings.
His IPA was shitty and a smoked Saison sounds pretty ungood.
This is just a weird project and even worse than that, no one is calling a spade a spade. So many Toronto beer "writers" all up in his cookie dough, sucking the beer god dick.
So amateur, so gross.
I can't help but feel there was a more polite way to get that point across.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Craig wrote:I can't help but feel there was a more polite way to get that point across.
Ya think?

But as long as one is honest, who really cares about politeness, thoughtfulness, consideration and the like. :roll:

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Craig wrote:
Belgian wrote:
Craig wrote:Make the hike up to the Danforth and go to the Wren. Lake Inez is their sister restaurant I believe, but I've never been.
Always wondered how the food is at Wren, really great looking place and nice servers and customers (making it virtually an emblem of the new east Dan thing) but never ate there.
Great pubby food. Burgers, fried chicken, some Tex-Mex sort of stuff iirc (chimichangas maybe?) Nothing terribly daring or innovative, but tasty and filling.
I've been to The Wren twice. I quite like it and the food has been good. If I lived in the area I'd be there all the time.
lister

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

atomeyes wrote:Call it like you see it.
Beer is average at best.
Ignore his history or cache and go based on the current offerings.
His IPA was shitty and a smoked Saison sounds pretty ungood.
This is just a weird project and even worse than that, no one is calling a spade a spade. So many Toronto beer "writers" all up in his cookie dough, sucking the beer god dick.
So amateur, so gross.
Didn't you make a big deal out of pretty much the exact same thing not too long ago when Bakagaijin said something similar, going as far as making the offending quote your signature to remind us of the apparently homophobic transgression? Be consistent.

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

Yeah and wasn't it atomeyes who was supremely offended by the Naughty Neighbour and Immodest cans? Lolol.

Or was that someone else?

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Craig wrote:
I can't help but feel there was a more polite way to get that point across.
You're not wrong.
That was too far and a silly, unnecessary pissing match. Apologies for going too far and in a wrong direction and with really dumb innuendo.

IPA_Lover

Post by IPA_Lover »

For the price, mediocre beers at best but I've only tried the initial 3 offerings (Stout, Dortmunder, IPA). Tasted like homebrew, not much complexity. Was really hoping this place was going to be the Bellwoods of the east end based on who's running the show. Guess they've got a little ways to go but here's hoping they ramp up the quality quickly! I'll be back.
^^^Hop-head ^^^

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

A can of this Dortmunder from the brewery, so nice. Has apple and biscuit and honey, and some really refined bread and hay. Softly textured and also gently bitter. This is absolutely a star session drinker or everyday comfort beer.

A can of Smoked Saison from GS Brew Store, hazy gold and small head. Another everyday pleasure, smokiness reminds me of Raftman - effective yet not overpowering - but the base beer has hints of sour and earthy and dry, pale fruit and spice. I wonder if early Saison farmhouse ales were made using beechwood fire kilned malts. The body is right on point for substance and sessioning.

My views may not concur with all but I can see what Bim was going for. Just a beer for real beer drinkers (or brewers) to drink, not a conquest of the wildest hoppings or the most exotic or rare treatments. I see a lot of maturity and taste and skill. Nuance and layering triumphs over excess. And there's a niche for this here not really covered yet, so well-played & welcome to Toronto Godspeed; all success to you.
Last edited by Belgian on Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Beerum Veritas

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

I'm a fan of the Dort. what can I say. :wink:

Reading Belgian's final few lines above got me thinking - I know that quite a few brewers in Montreal like to go to Le Cheval Blanc for that very reason (easy stuff that the brewers want to drink).
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

Does Godspeed have glassware available at the retail shop? And if so, what kind? Anyone able to fill me in?

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Belgian wrote:Just a beer for real beer drinkers (or brewers) to drink, not a conquest of the wildest hoppings or the most exotic or rare treatments. I see a lot of maturity and taste and skill. Nuance and layering triumphs over excess. And there's a niche for this here not really covered yet, so well-played & welcome to Toronto Godspeed; all success to you.

Excelllent points, when you take a step back and think about it in that way.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

3.50 for a 335ml of Dort is ridiculous. I don't care if it's good, I can buy a 500ml of Dab for $2.05. And while not as fresh, it's gotta be a better price to quality Dort than what Godspeed's making.
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

Ceecee

Post by Ceecee »

sprague11 wrote:Reading Belgian's final few lines above got me thinking - I know that quite a few brewers in Montreal like to go to Le Cheval Blanc for that very reason (easy stuff that the brewers want to drink).
I could drink the Double Blanche all day. Great beer, great price.

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

Glassware? Anyone? :)