Godspeed Brewery

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: GregClow, Cass

midlife crisis
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1864
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:00 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: Godspeed Brewery

Postby midlife crisis » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:31 pm

I went on a recent Saturday afternoon. The keg conditioned version of the Dortmunder was the star of the show for me, just outstanding. Yes, the takeaway prices are maybe a bit shocking but the drink-in price is in line with other similar places in T.O. I also really liked the decor and the whole Japanese vibe (a daily Kombucha on tap!), if I can put it that way. Smaller serving sizes mean it may not be the optimal place for a long session, but is a great place for sampling, etc. All in all I quite liked it and I'm a bit puzzled by the negativity, especially from those who were its biggest proponents before it opened. Wasn't he supposed to blow Toronto's lacklustre craft Brewers out of the water? Perhaps that has not quite happened but Godspeed is a very fine addition to the Toronto brewing scene IMO.
sprague11
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1877
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:37 pm
Location: Newmarket, ON

Re: Godspeed Brewery

Postby sprague11 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:40 am

midlife crisis wrote:All in all I quite liked it and I'm a bit puzzled by the negativity, especially from those who were its biggest proponents before it opened.


People convinced themselves that this place was going to be DDC Ontario right off the bat, which I don't believe was ever his intention.

FWIW The Dort has become a regular in my fridge.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo
User avatar
El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1341
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:02 pm
Location: Downtown TO / Galapagos Islands
Contact:

Re: Godspeed Brewery

Postby El Pinguino » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:37 pm

sprague11 wrote:
midlife crisis wrote:All in all I quite liked it and I'm a bit puzzled by the negativity, especially from those who were its biggest proponents before it opened.


People convinced themselves that this place was going to be DDC Ontario right off the bat, which I don't believe was ever his intention.

FWIW The Dort has become a regular in my fridge.


Over hyped for months/years before opening...peopel are finally coming back to reality now I think.

I like the space and the food...feel the beers are average. But if they keep changing up the beers with enough frequency, I'll return now and then.

As for my fridge...can't say there is anything that ever becomes a regular any more, with so many options to choose from! That's a good thing.
User avatar
Belgian
Bar Towel Legend
Posts: 9292
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:15 pm
Location: Earth

New-ish (hey man these names seem to be made up)

Postby Belgian » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:33 am

The Dai Dai (Saison with Japanese Bitter Orange) is no Bellwoods Hop Creamsicle Fruit Explostion, it's just super nice with a deft touch of citrus peel and orange fruit set against the hop, brett and spice. 'To Dai for'? I have no idea as I speak no Japanese.

The Natsu Summer Ale is also very accomplished and subtle. 'Natsu be missed'? Again, you got me. But the great style again seems more than Occidental.
In Beerum Veritas
User avatar
cratez
Beer Superstar
Posts: 2056
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:29 pm
Location: Toronto
Contact:

Re: New-ish (hey man these names seem to be made up)

Postby cratez » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:39 pm

Belgian wrote:The Dai Dai (Saison with Japanese Bitter Orange) is no Bellwoods Hop Creamsicle Fruit Explostion, it's just super nice with a deft touch of citrus peel and orange fruit set against the hop, brett and spice. 'To Dai for'? I have no idea as I speak no Japanese.

The Natsu Summer Ale is also very accomplished and subtle. 'Natsu be missed'? Again, you got me. But the great style again seems more than Occidental.

Liking what I've heard and read about Godspeed so far. Hoping to visit this weekend. Thanks for the reviews.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott
User avatar
Belgian
Bar Towel Legend
Posts: 9292
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:15 pm
Location: Earth

Re: New-ish (hey man these names seem to be made up)

Postby Belgian » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:11 pm

cratez wrote:Hoping to visit this weekend.

Hope there's Dai Dai left for you in the store. Seemed to be a fair bit there today, I'm really digging it.
In Beerum Veritas
TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar
Posts: 2578
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:40 pm
Location: Mississauga
Contact:

Re: Godspeed Brewery

Postby TheSevenDuffs » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:15 am

Finally stopped by yesterday. The space is amazing ~ can't think of another Ontario brewery with a more inviting space. Tried 3 of the offerings, all of which were solid. It's a nice break from the norm to be able to have 3 full pours and not be buzzed at all :)
User avatar
Belgian
Bar Towel Legend
Posts: 9292
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:15 pm
Location: Earth

Re: Godspeed Brewery

Postby Belgian » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:10 pm

TheSevenDuffs wrote: ~ can't think of another Ontario brewery with a more inviting space.

Haven't hung there yet but want to soon, it's a great space. Elora Brewery with its ancient timbers and exposed limestone probably wins my 2017 vote for most gorgeous and inviting space, offering warmth and class in spades - plus it's Elora for the most incredible walks in close range. Beers are delightful as well.
Image
Image
Some places like Stone City (I like these guys too) can have a slightly cold antiseptic vibe to them I find. It's a tricky balance. Clean and modern + warmth and charm = win. Maybe some places keep tweaking it.
In Beerum Veritas
midlife crisis
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1864
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:00 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: Godspeed Brewery

Postby midlife crisis » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:18 pm

I really like Left Field. Maybe not just the space, but the whole atmosphere they have created with the young families, dogs and baseball. Can't beat it. Unfortunately many agree as it is often rammed and lined up on weekends. I agree Godspeed is just great too. Very different from LF, but love the vibe of each.
User avatar
alsiem
Posts: 104
Joined: Sun May 03, 2015 8:16 pm

Re: Godspeed Brewery

Postby alsiem » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:18 pm

Jury is still out for me.

Really liked: Dortmunder Lager
Liked :the Stout
Indifferent to both the Transatlantic and Natsu Summer Ale.

There's nothing flawed with the beers, I think I just prefer the styles that Muddy York and Left Field (to limit to the East end) brew and to date, I'm not seeing a lot of hopping in the beers on offer. For example, I think the Trans Atlantic ale was supposed to be a combo of English and NA style (I'm guessing by the name). I just thought it was a one note malty ale. St Mary's Axe is much further along the curve to something that I enjoy.

Still have never stuck around in the space but it certainly seems to be a success.
munrets
Posts: 98
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:35 pm

Re: Godspeed Brewery

Postby munrets » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:16 am

Finally went by a few days ago. Like many have said, the space is spectacular.

I bought two of everything that was in the fridge and was entirely unimpressed by all of it. Perhaps this reflects my lack of refinement, but even if the beers are on-point for style, I just didn't like any of them. Budweiser might be on-point for style, but I don't like it.

The cost was high, and if I'm going to consume calories from beer these days, they're going to be from beers that are not so boring.
User avatar
Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1602
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:21 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: Godspeed Brewery

Postby Tapsucker » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:30 pm

I had their Kellerbier at Bar Hop last night. I was a little disappointed. I found it too hoppy and heavy bodied for the style. Or perhaps just the wrong hops. I hope they continue to tune this one up. It's a beer I would like to enjoy and it follows their stated goal of making nice modest styles of beer well.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.
ChrisK
Posts: 154
Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 3:07 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: Godspeed Brewery

Postby ChrisK » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:54 pm

TheSevenDuffs wrote:Finally stopped by yesterday. The space is amazing ~ can't think of another Ontario brewery with a more inviting space. Tried 3 of the offerings, all of which were solid. It's a nice break from the norm to be able to have 3 full pours and not be buzzed at all :)


Now I definitely need to check this place out. It seems like solid sessionable beers are what Bim is aiming for.
midlife crisis
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1864
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:00 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: Godspeed Brewery

Postby midlife crisis » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:59 pm

ChrisK wrote:Now I definitely need to check this place out. It seems like solid sessionable beers are what Bim is aiming for.


Albeit, served in smaller glasses that are normally associated with sours, saisons and higher abv beers generally. But it's a minor point and presumably part of the overall aesthetic, which I really liked as well.
User avatar
Belgian
Bar Towel Legend
Posts: 9292
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:15 pm
Location: Earth

spectrum now missing its low end

Postby Belgian » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:35 pm

Tapsucker wrote:I had their Kellerbier at Bar Hop last night... I hope they continue to tune this one up...

Ahh the Momiji. Will have to see what's in cans at the shop right now.
midlife crisis wrote:
ChrisK wrote:... seems like solid sessionable beers are what Bim is aiming for.

Albeit, served in smaller glasses that are normally associated with sours, saisons and higher abv beers generally. But it's a minor point...

At BeerBistro yesterday we were discussing the lack of half-liter or pint sizes generally nowadays - though there WERE a good handful there eg. Side Launch, Hacker, and Shillow Sass on the Side which sort of HAVE to be sold in classic format. Not all the 'session' beers out there are in wussy 300-400ml sizes. I definitely agree the portion size should be a trade off of other factors like gravity, ABV, flavor impact / diluteness, sippability etc.
I even resent paying $8.00 for a pint of Wellington Arkell bitter I can down in about five minutes, it's mostly water and should be very reasonable & enjoyed in quantity. The steep pricing is a disservice to the existence and appeal of those easier-going styles.
In Beerum Veritas

Return to “Ontario Brewers”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests