Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Trafalgar being bought

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

lister
Beer Superstar

Trafalgar being bought

Post by lister »

lister

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I feel like Trafalgar was able to stay on life support almost solely by getting into LCBO seasonal releases when the industry was clearly evolving past them. I haven't had a Trafalgar beer in years. So this doesn't surprise me that they were acquired. Can't imagine their brand will remain - does it have any equity left?

That being said, I do have fond memories of Trafalgar of years and years ago. Their "Abbey Belgian" ale at C'est What was one of the first strong, dark beers I think I ever had on tap. At the time I certainly liked it.

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

The CBN posting of the news indicates that the Trafalgar brand will continue and will continue to produce the same brand portfolio...

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

It makes sense to keep the brand going. It must be pulling in money, or they've have gone under ages ago. I'd bet all the new products are going to come out under the other banner though.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Yeah, I was speculating just based upon my impression of Trafalgar nowadays. I'd have to think that the brand would be minimized significantly a la KLB and Amsterdam. I'd have to think what they are buying is primarily the equipment vs. the brand.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I think that you're very much not the Trafalgar target market, Cass.

I suspect the facility was the main buy too, but another big perk is the operations side of Trafalgar, They've obviously got great contacts at the 'BO and a whole supply and distribution network setup already. That's got to be nice for a brand moving away from contract.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

I had the APA which was terrible (A diacetyl bomb) and the Schwartz Sweet Stout which I called "drinkable but not worth ever buying".

sstackho
Bar Fly

Post by sstackho »

Cass wrote: That being said, I do have fond memories of Trafalgar of years and years ago. Their "Abbey Belgian" ale at C'est What was one of the first strong, dark beers I think I ever had on tap. At the time I certainly liked it.
I remember the Trafalgar Abbey at C'est What quite well - it was one of my first "wow!!" beers in my beer-drinking career. I commented on it in this thread but I don't think I've tried another Trafalgar beer since this drainpour back in '07.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

My recollection of comments on this site over the years is that people were more upset about Trafalgar quality control issues than recipes. The announcement on Canadian Beer News....

http://www.canadianbeernews.com/2016/06 ... les-meads/

....says "All or Nothing plans to make “significant capital investments into the existing Oakville location through the installation of a state-of-the-art automated canning line"

Perhaps, and hopefully, this will address those issues.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

The Abbey Belgian was decent, it was kind of like a Rochefort 3 (half as strong as the 6.)
We've had endless discussions about how Trafalgar is 'almost' making decent beers, and what if they only did this or that.
More recently the member Loudman was on here talking about the brewing awards they were getting.

They should have gone into making sour ales years ago, they would have gotten a big piece of an under-served market by now.
One of their beers that was an infected gusher turned into a fairly convincing Flanders Red style ale.
Unintentionally.

No Lister, I haven't been brave enough to try their stuff in years, because in the days I did try more of them we had almost nothing to choose from in those very sad LC stores, and now we can actually afford to pass on beers with names like Malted Corpse that usually taste half-realized at best.

In Beerum Veritas