Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Radical Road Brewery

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Tapsucker wrote:
El Pinguino wrote:I have no idea how "big" or "small" most breweries are. I remember being surprised taking a tour at Muskoka and they said they were the Xth largest brewer in Ontario (4th or something like that).

Granite brewery has been around for ages, but they always seemed to have a small setup to me? How would their size compare to say Radical Road? I've been to Half Hours on Earth, and they're in an industrial building, with plenty of space for expansion...so I doubt they have to worry....if they keep selling, they can keep growing...
What you see at the Granite is the tip of the iceberg. You need to go downstairs to see how well they scale. Even then, they are not pretentious about their operation. I can't speak to the economics of the business, but I'm sure it's possible to run a sustainable brewing and restaurant business. "Sustainable" has become misconstrued as an environmental term, but it means more than that. Great businesses last generations without needing to chase absurd growth and returns.
True...ya I suspected they may have a larger operation in hiding ;)

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

The "Grand Opening" is on Tuesday. I gather that means the start of bottle sales on site and more normal hours. The day itself features free food and exceptionally cheap drinks.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Their latest beer is a doppel, and it's terrific.

I live around the corner, so I've been a bunch of times now. I've been pleasantly surprised by how clean and generally decent the beers have been. If all you know about them are the couple of beers they put in the lcbo a couple of years back I'd suggest giving them another shot.

IPA_Lover

Post by IPA_Lover »

Was just there for a pre-Cask Days dinner. The beers are clean and tasty but nothing that will really knock your socks off. The food was great though. I had the Jerk wings and buddies had the BBQ braised beef and everyone was raving about how good the food was. Upstaged the beer pretty much.
^^^Hop-head ^^^

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

There's an imperial oatmeal chocolate stout coming. I tried some (minus the chocolate) right out of the tank yesterday and it was pretty great.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Went there for the first time back in December 2016. The food smell was quite nice though we had other eating plans elsewhere.

I only had the yuzu pale ale which I thought was quite tasty.

I don't get out to Leslieville often but when I do, likely for Descendants pizza, I'll probably stop in at Radical too.
lister

alsiem

Post by alsiem »

I thought all of the beers I had were above average.

Yuzu Pale Ale: A cloudy, tart pale ale. This would be great on a patio.
Entropy Stout: This was just a solid stout.
Midnight Oil Oatmeal Imperial Stout: You would never guess that this was 9%. Hid it well and had a lovely creamy mouth feel.

I will definitely return and it's a nice addition to the East end.

admviolin

Post by admviolin »

El Pinguino wrote:
Tapsucker wrote:
El Pinguino wrote:
Granite brewery has been around for ages, but they always seemed to have a small setup to me? How would their size compare to say Radical Road? I've been to Half Hours on Earth, and they're in an industrial building, with plenty of space for expansion...so I doubt they have to worry....if they keep selling, they can keep growing...
What you see at the Granite is the tip of the iceberg. You need to go downstairs to see how well they scale. Even then, they are not pretentious about their operation. I can't speak to the economics of the business, but I'm sure it's possible to run a sustainable brewing and restaurant business. "Sustainable" has become misconstrued as an environmental term, but it means more than that. Great businesses last generations without needing to chase absurd growth and returns.
True...ya I suspected they may have a larger operation in hiding ;)
I'm on the brew team at granite. generally speaking, our batches are 1000L with a 300L pilot system for one offs. Downstairs we have 3 conditioning tanks and 7 Brite tanks that vary in size from 600L to 2000L. We brew 3-4 times a week. Shoot me any questions you have.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

A few more exotic offerings from these guys lately. Brett IPA (pretty good), Berliner (fine), Belgian table beer (did not try) and a Brett biere de garde.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Their latest IPA, Long Play, is a treat. Light body and oodles of grapefruit flavour.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

So it seems like these guys are flexing their creative muscles a lot more than they used to. The tap list right now has two sours, a Brett, a cucumber mint Kolsch, a pale ale with fruit and an IPA made using Cavitation. Pretty great for a place that seats like 30.

The raspberry sour they have on right now is terrific.