Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Radical Road Brewery

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Radical Road Brewery

Post by atomeyes »

Apparently it's opening today.
http://www.momandhops.ca/radical-road-b ... y-toronto/

I'm eager to see the space. no idea how they will be able to operate a brewery and a brewpub in that space. looks like it's under 2500 sq ft and doesn't have tall ceilings.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Almost forgot about these guys! That's pretty far east, thankfully I play softball out there sometimes though...a reason to drink.

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

El Pinguino wrote:Almost forgot about these guys! That's pretty far east, thankfully I play softball out there sometimes though...a reason to drink.
Far east? Really? Can't wait til Bim opens his location.

You play in the beaches league?

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

DeMarco wrote:
El Pinguino wrote:Almost forgot about these guys! That's pretty far east, thankfully I play softball out there sometimes though...a reason to drink.

Having walked out there from King & Spadina, it's pretty far. :P Best tasting Sidelaunch Wheat ever though! :wink:

I noticed Radical Road last weekend when I was in Descendant Pizza.
lister

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

DeMarco wrote:Far east? Really? Can't wait til Bim opens his location.
Haha. And 'far east' from what - Mimico? Everything's relative, just hopefully your parents weren't!

I walked by Bim's and looking into the big glass storefront the counter stone slabs never move, looks like no recent activity. However Left Field always makes a nice stop, with interesting locals.
lister wrote:Having walked out there from King & Spadina, it's pretty far. :P Best tasting Sidelaunch Wheat ever though! :wink:
That is a nice walk, it takes in a lot of good Toronto streetscapes. I sometimes walk over to the Queen bridge just to look out over the Don river and the city in all directions from that point, looks great at night.
In Beerum Veritas

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

lister wrote:
DeMarco wrote:

Having walked out there from King & Spadina, it's pretty far. :P Best tasting Sidelaunch Wheat ever though! :wink:

I noticed Radical Road last weekend when I was in Descendant Pizza.
we also have Pizza Thick a bit west of Descendant. also great, and it has Death in Venice gelato (best gelato going in the city)

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

atomeyes wrote:we also have Pizza Thick a bit west of Descendant. also great, and it has Death in Venice gelato (best gelato going in the city)
Cool! Probably won't get back out to Leslieville until next summer but will definitely check out Pizza Thick next time.
lister

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Pizza thick has really good ice cream too, not just gelato.

I'm at radical road right now. They have three beers on:

Sling Shot - a California common which they say it's the flagship. It's fine, I guess. Not my style, so I can't really pass judgement. I don't notice any flaws in it, other than what I normally taste as flaws in a CC. Again, not my thing.

Shoreline saison - A saison. Fine, but not great. Nice and dry, but lacking a little body. Would probably be better with a little age on it.

Yuzu Pale Ale - a pale ale with yuzu. This one is pretty nice. Falls much more on the fruity side.

The place seats 18 at tables and 8 at the bar plus stone standing room by my count. There's no patio right now, no clue if that's in the plans. It's a nice little space, balancing cozy and modern.

The brewery appears to be a couple of maybe 1 barrel pots. Not really industrial scale.

The food looks and smells good. Reasonable prices too, some day I'll come back for dinner. Honestly, this feels more like a small restaurant that happens to make their own beer than a brewery.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Craig wrote:
The brewery appears to be a couple of maybe 1 barrel pots. Not really industrial scale.

The food looks and smells good. Reasonable prices too, some day I'll come back for dinner. Honestly, this feels more like a small restaurant that happens to make their own beer than a brewery.
yeah. really makes me wonder about the business plan. no idea how these nanobreweries plan on staying open when they're paying leslieville rent and Ontario taxes and wages.

i wish them no ill will and i don't know the people. i just hope they had a business plan.

and their taplist looks really uninspiring. no need for me to rush out and try it.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

atomeyes wrote:
Craig wrote:

yeah. really makes me wonder about the business plan. no idea how these nanobreweries plan on staying open when they're paying leslieville rent and Ontario taxes and wages.

i wish them no ill will and i don't know the people. i just hope they had a business plan.

and their taplist looks really uninspiring. no need for me to rush out and try it.
Also having no knowledge of their business plan, I wonder if they're just trying to be a restaurant and making their own beer to eke a little more profit out of it?

Also, the bartender said they're heading back to the LCBO soon, so I suppose it's probably an avenue to make & sell trial batches.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Craig wrote:
atomeyes wrote:
Craig wrote:

Also having no knowledge of their business plan, I wonder if they're just trying to be a restaurant and making their own beer to eke a little more profit out of it?

Also, the bartender said they're heading back to the LCBO soon, so I suppose it's probably an avenue to make & sell trial batches.
they're contract brewing their large batches somewhere else. i assume they're doing the same with their flagship beer. no real $$ to be made in contracting, but i guess that if the majority of your sales are coming in house, then sure, you can make money.

there are countless discussions that validate that there's (almost always) little fiscal point brewing batches that are less than 800 litres.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Very nice guys - I hope to try their new place out soon and wish them every success, though unfortunately the location is a bit on the "way east" side for me too.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Craig wrote:Also, the bartender said they're heading back to the LCBO soon, so I suppose it's probably an avenue to make & sell trial batches.
They've had an LCBO listing before? I don't recall.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

S. St. Jeb wrote:
Craig wrote:Also, the bartender said they're heading back to the LCBO soon, so I suppose it's probably an avenue to make & sell trial batches.
They've had an LCBO listing before? I don't recall.
Two of them actually. Canny Man was a smoked wee heavy in a black paper wrapped 750ml, which was decent, and The Wayward Son was an underrated golden ale aged in pinot barrels and came in a boxed 750ml. I'm pretty confident they brew at Black Oak.
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Pretty sure I still have a bottle of Canny Man in storage...it wasn't my favourite when I first had it though.
The Wayward Son I did quite enjoy.