Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Block Three Brewing St. Jacob's

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

GtownRandy

Block Three Brewing St. Jacob's

Post by GtownRandy »

I have a friend going to St. Jacob's this weekend, so she's swinging by to pick up some bottles for me. Was hoping for more "Mo Money Mo Problems" a good IPA that my wife enjoyed but they were all gone. I emailed their website and they replied within minutes!

Getting 2 each of:

Fickle Mistress Raspberry + Ginger

A 24 hour kettle sour, fermented with lactobacillus to add a sour lemony note and with raspberry puree and ginger added.

ABV: 5.5%

Malts: Pilsner and Wheat

Hops: Simcoe, Citra and Columbus

IBU: 20

Stratus Fear

A Belgian Saison that spent 8 months in red wine barrels from Stratus Winery, aged on Brettanomyces. It has subtle oak, red wine and barnyard funk from the Brett.

Yeast: Belgian Saison, Brettanomyces

ABV: 6.3%

Malts: Pilsner, Vienna, Wheat

Hops: Magnum

IBU: 22

Noon on a Weekday

Noon on a Weekday is designed for those who just might enjoy a cheeky pint at lunch, those who feel the stresses of the morning need to be settled and those who just love light bodied beers with a bold hop character. This beer is one to get you through. Admittedly we also love to enjoy this American Pale Ale after work, shared with friends out of the growler or as a quick beer before men’s league hockey.

ABV: 5%

Malts: Pilsner, Vienna, Abbey, Wheat

Hops: Sorachi, Mosaic, Citra

IBU: 20

Party all the Time

Our Belgian yeast with Mosaic and Sorachi hops give a huge tropical fruit aroma and flavour. Style: Belgian IPA

ABV: 6%

IBU: 25

The Loneliness Red Wine Barrel Aged

A Russian Imperial Stout with rich notes of coffee and chocolate. It is sure to keep you warm on those cold winter nights. Aged in red wine barrels for a year.

ABV: 8.7%

Malts: 2-Row, Chocolate, CaraRed, Roasted Barley, Carafa Special 1

Hops: German Magnum

IBU: 35

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

I've had Fickle Mistress without the Rapsberry and Ginger and thought it was pretty enjoyable. I'm hoping The Bent Elbow gets it on tap for me to try.

I don't remember if I've had Stratus Fear or not, I haven't checked it in, but that doesn't necessarily mean I haven't had it.

Noon on a Weekday is pretty decent.

I don't usually like Belgian IPAs too much, and I'm not sure if I've tried Party All the Time, but I have enjoyed other BIPAs from Block Three.

I haven't had the Barrel Aged Loneliness, but have had the base version. It's a fine RIS.

My overall thoughts on Block Three, everything I've had has been average to good, nothing that's blown me away, but nothing bad (for the record, I have not had The Wall).

All that being said, they have a new brewer, so I'd imagine there may be some differences now.
"There's always money in the banana stand."

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

I visited Block 3 last week. I'd recommend buying more of the imperial stout, maybe at the expense of a bottle of the pale ale or raspberry ginger. All the beers I had from them were good, but the Loneliness was definitely the pick of the bunch.

GtownRandy

Post by GtownRandy »

Bobsy wrote:I visited Block 3 last week. I'd recommend buying more of the imperial stout, maybe at the expense of a bottle of the pale ale or raspberry ginger. All the beers I had from them were good, but the Loneliness was definitely the pick of the bunch.
will do, thanks for the suggestion!

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

The Raspberry+Ginger Fickle Mistress is on tap at the Bent Elbow. It's not bad, but I preferred the version without the raspberry and ginger. However, I'm very picky with certain fruits in beer, raspberry being one of them. I'm finding the raspberry to be a bit cough medicine-like.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Kish84 wrote:The Raspberry+Ginger Fickle Mistress is on tap at the Bent Elbow. It's not bad, but I preferred the version without the raspberry and ginger. However, I'm very picky with certain fruits in beer, raspberry being one of them. I'm finding the raspberry to be a bit cough medicine-like.
very odd.
cherry, not raspberry, has cough medicine attributes.

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

atomeyes wrote:
Kish84 wrote:The Raspberry+Ginger Fickle Mistress is on tap at the Bent Elbow. It's not bad, but I preferred the version without the raspberry and ginger. However, I'm very picky with certain fruits in beer, raspberry being one of them. I'm finding the raspberry to be a bit cough medicine-like.
very odd.
cherry, not raspberry, has cough medicine attributes.
I get it from both. Love both as fruits, I'm more forgiving to raspberries though.

kfbass

Post by kfbass »

Kish84 wrote:All that being said, they have a new brewer, so I'd imagine there may be some differences now.
Sup guys. I am Kevin Freer, and j believe I am the new brewer being eluded to in that statement, although we do have two other brewers working under me, as head brewer.

Block Three brought me on six months ago. I will be making some new beers, bringing back old favourites, tweaking certain things etc...we bought and filled a foeder of sour beer, as well as have increased our barrel agung program so I have blending stock to play with. All bery exciting stuff.

I'm not great with the forum stuff, but if anyone wants to drop by or has questions about the beer, either Instagram @kfbeer @blockthree or emailing kevin@blockthreebrewing.ca works if you have some of the more geeky technical questions. Cheers.