Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Muddy York Brewing

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Cool...thanks guys, that makes sense about the bourbon barrels then. I'm not a big bourbon drinker but imagine the bourbon craze is good for the craft beer movement too. Didn't know cognac barrels were bigger too....how about that.

portwood

Post by portwood »

Craig wrote:...So you have lots and lots of these barrels that had bourbon in them for less than a year, that the bourbon makers can't reuse...
You are correct that barrels can only be used once for Bourbon (and rye). However, the vast majority of American whisky is aged much more than one year.

In order to be called "Straight", American whiskey must be in barrel at least 2 years. From 2 to 4 years an age must be stated on the label. "Straight" whiskey without an age statement must be at least 4 years old.

long story short, the vast majority of American whiskey barrels are at least 4 years old (think Jack Daniels, Jim Beam, Makers Mark, etc) before they are dumped and sold off to age Scotch, Canadian Whisky, Tequila, other spirits, Beer, etc
@markhamwhisky

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I was aware of the distinction of straight being aged for a few years, but I thought there was more non-straight than straight produced each year, with some of that destined for blends. I was probably mistaken.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

When I first tried the Gaslight Helles, I was very disappointed, It was under lagered and had a good hit of DMS. I really want to see more locals offer this style, but they do need to get it right to. That's why I was disappointed, it sucked.

I picked up a few cans this weekend to give them another chance.The DMS and lagering issues seem to be resolved. This is on it's way to being a good beer. I think there is still a bit of harshness that might be either hop related or water profile related, but still I will buy and drink more of this.

Excellent lagers take some time and patience, there is very little trendy/funky/barrel/adjunct behavior to hide behind. You have to simply brew it right and treat it right. I really want to encourage local brewers to make the effort, so my criticism of Muddy York is not to bring them down, but to challenge them to take what they are on to and commit to making it a great beer. Good start, please don't give up.

Why can't we have nice lagers? :cry:
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

I really enjoy the Gaslight Helles.....one of my go-tos when in the mood for a solid Ontario lager from the lcbo (side launch being the other). I agree, I’d like to see more, really well made lagers around these parts.

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

Tapsucker wrote:When I first tried the Gaslight Helles, I was very disappointed, It was under lagered and had a good hit of DMS. I really want to see more locals offer this style, but they do need to get it right to. That's why I was disappointed, it sucked.

I picked up a few cans this weekend to give them another chance.The DMS and lagering issues seem to be resolved. This is on it's way to being a good beer. I think there is still a bit of harshness that might be either hop related or water profile related, but still I will buy and drink more of this.

Excellent lagers take some time and patience, there is very little trendy/funky/barrel/adjunct behavior to hide behind. You have to simply brew it right and treat it right. I really want to encourage local brewers to make the effort, so my criticism of Muddy York is not to bring them down, but to challenge them to take what they are on to and commit to making it a great beer. Good start, please don't give up.

Why can't we have nice lagers? :cry:
Good post. I’ve been meaning to go to Muddy York for some time now, in part due to the appearance that they are taking lagers seriously.

I think things are definitely getting better locally on the Lager front. I think Bellweiser is great beer. Likewise the Dortmunder at Godspeed. The latest Bellwoods Pilsner, Bier Garten really reminded me of fresh Bitburger which was a nice surprise.

I’m at a point now where when I see a brewery has a Lager on, I am very likely to give it a try because it is less often now that I am disappointed.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Tooth and Nail has a very good one too. Not as easy to come across in the GTA I suppose, but it was on tap somewhere in December -- BeerBistro, perhaps?

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Cool story and project. I hope I get a chance to get out that way and try this before it's gone.

Muddy York Brewing Releasing Helliwell Historical Old Ale
https://www.canadianbeernews.com/2020/0 ... l-old-ale/

'A lot of love in this': Beer historian, local brewery create brew using recipe from the 1800s
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ ... -1.5440134

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Muddy York is releasing Brand X Double IPA.

https://www.canadianbeernews.com/2020/0 ... ouble-ipa/

Got a laugh from the notes as they borrow from an old Jif peanut butter slogan.

Bursting with passionfruit, mango and pineapple, Muddy York adds more Galaxy and Azacca hops than any other leading brand. Choosey drinkers choose Brand X Double IPA.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

News from Muddy York...
MUDDY YORK BREWING CO. ANNOUNCES PLANS FOR A SECOND LOCATION

Toronto, ON: Muddy York Brewing Co. is thrilled to announce the planned opening of a second brewery location in the beautiful Town of Whitchurch-Stouffville in Spring 2024.

This announcement follows the Brewery of the Year win for Muddy York Brewing Co. based on the success of its entries in the 2023 Canadian Brewing Awards competition in June.

“The difficulties we faced during COVID, not to mention the ongoing challenges the industry faces as a whole, made us examine what we wanted to achieve as a business going forward. Since opening our taproom doors in 2016, our location at 22 Cranfield Road in East York Toronto has catered to a lively array of families, friends and local community members that has made the space homey, warm and inclusive. It became clear to us what our strengths were and in late 2021 we began searching for an ideal neighbourhood for Muddy York’s expansion. Not only did we want to offer a similar, uncompromising and friendly craft beer customer experience but we also were looking for a space that could integrate an exceptional food experience.” says Susan Michalek, Co-Owner of Muddy York Brewing Co.

“The Town of Whitchurch-Stouffville really caught our attention. It’s a rapidly growing centre with a very passionate and engaged community that doesn't yet have a brewery to call its own. Stouffville is close to the GTA, has an extensive trail system that hosts a variety of recreational activities and borders many municipalities. The new location will become a destination for locals and out-of-towners alike by being a unique place to gather, dine and enjoy locally-made beer. We’re aiming to become a community anchor.” adds Jeff Manol, Co-Owner of Muddy York Brewing Co.

Muddy York Brewing Co. has already been working closely with the city for the past year and has been an active participant in many of the town's dynamic and well-attended events including The Stouffville Market, The Annual Holiday Market, The Whitchurch-Stouffville Legacy Fund, The Whitchurch-Stouffville Strawberry Festival and the upcoming Ribfest.

“Muddy York Brewing’s taproom will be an excellent new addition to our vibrant Main Street. Our residents have grown to love Muddy York through their presence at numerous events over the years, as well as their participation in the Stouffville Market on Saturdays. I know I am not the only one who is looking forward to them having a permanent home in Stouffville.” - Mayor Iain Lovatt

The new site is located at 6297 Main Street at Market Street. The building was originally the town’s post office and was at one time The Silver Jubilee Club Seniors Centre. This historical building will undergo an extensive renovation to make it not only fully accessible but will help revitalize the burgeoning downtown area. “When we met the current owner and landlord, Ron Carlton of SMC Project Management, we knew with his experience and wealth of building knowledge, we found a great partner in making our vision come alive,” says Manol.

The 6500 square foot space will include a production facility, full kitchen, bar, dining area, patio and retail space. Muddy York Brewing Co.’s beer line-up will be complemented by a casual and modern food menu that will also include other local beer, wine and cider. The brewpub space will accommodate approximately 110 seats indoors and 60 seats on an outdoor patio. There will also be space on the 2nd level for private dining and event bookings.

“We’re very thankful to our customers and employees who have stuck by us over the years, especially during the challenging times of the pandemic. We consider ourselves very lucky. Brewing high-quality beer is significantly important, but it’s all the amazing people that believed in us that have played a part in helping this once-small family-run business grow into something more, and we’ll always be grateful for that. We cannot wait to share our passion and love for our craft with the citizens of Stouffville as well.” says Manol and Michalek.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

That's awesome news. For years this location was supposed to be the Stouffville Brewery, but a number of issues ended that and they ended up rebranding as Falcon Brewery and moving to Ajax. Muddy York is a great brewery, it'll be nice to see the building restored and Stouffville finally get its brewery.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Cass wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:08 am News from Muddy York...
MUDDY YORK BREWING CO. ANNOUNCES PLANS FOR A SECOND LOCATION
I just saw this and was going to post it. You beat me by an hour. LOL :)

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Some positive updates from MYBC:

1. We’re happy to announce that Muddy York will live on in East York into the New Year. We’ll be selling retail and serving in the taproom at 22 Cranfield Rd until February 17th.

2. Online orders with free delivery in the GTA will continue after February 17th! No need to miss us, get your MYBC beer delivered to your doorstep instead.

3. Save the date for a “Moving Party” on Saturday, February 3rd. Have one last happy East York location memory to hold onto!

4. We’ll be selling retail beer-to-go at our Stouffville location as soon as licensing is approved – estimated to be at the end of February. Taproom construction will be underway and we can’t wait to welcome you to our new digs as soon as possible. Stay tuned for further developments!

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

The latest from Muddy:
[Stouffville, ON] – Muddy York Brewing Co. is excited to announce updated plans to relocate to a new and dynamic space in Stoufville's west-end commercial area. Following an announcement in August that the brewery would be expanding its East York operations to the historic old post office in Stouffville, unforeseen circumstances necessitated that the expansion become a relocation and the company made the strategic decision to acquire a prime Stouffville location at 50 Innovator Ave, Suite #1.

"We are excited about this positive shift for us," said Jeff Manol, Co-Owner at Muddy York Brewing Co. "The purchase of our commercial space at 50 Innovator Ave is not just a relocation; it represents a move towards independence. Recent challenges prompted us to seek a space where we can truly build our future without surprises and outside constraints. We are eager to reconstruct our production space, an inviting taproom, and introduce a casual food program for our patrons in the thriving Stouffville commercial district."

Despite the location change, Muddy York Brewing Co. assures its customers that its commitment to quality craft beer remains unwavering. The relocation allows for a fresh start and presents an exciting opportunity to serve the residents of Whitchurch-Stouffville and beyond. The opening date for the new location is still pending announcement, but Muddy York Brewing Co. expresses its continued enthusiasm for becoming an integral part of the Whitchurch-Stouffville community. Stay tuned for further updates on the grand opening and other exciting developments.

portwood

Post by portwood »

The original Stouffville site would have been awesome. Right in the community, historic (old) building, easy to walk, right on the Main st "drag", near other retail, restaurants, etc.
This new site is bland, industrial, relatively far from where people live ... but I guess the rent (or ownership) is lower. Oh well, no different from my favourite brewery - Rouge River.
Having said all that, I'm still better off with Muddy being in Stouffville (10 minutes from Markham) than in their original site (a long drive).
@markhamwhisky