Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Sexism in beer labels in Ontario

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Sexism in beer labels in Ontario

Post by atomeyes »

boney wrote:
I also agree with Portwood. I really like Nickel Brook, but the image on the current Naughty Neighbour cans really needs to be retired.
their tonedeafness on NN and Immodest packaging has resulted in me not buying a single beer of theirs in a long, long time.
first, Naughty Neighbour's current can looks ugly REGARDLESS of the "sexy" drawing.
the drawing clearly objectifies women.
but worse?
the "full bodied" quote below it.

it all comes together like some 1930s clusterfuck of a marketing scheme and really needs to go. not sure why Nickelbrook insists that it's "playful" or fine.

perhaps only a small percentage of we consumers feel strongly about it or find it to be dumb or offensive. but at least listen and have dialogue.

in the end, it's an ugly can and the brewery should look at cool art like, for example, what the Alchemist has on their cans, and not art that uses a woman's cans to sell cans. if they can't see why it's not needed in this day and age, then shame on them.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

atomeyes wrote:
boney wrote:
I also agree with Portwood. I really like Nickel Brook, but the image on the current Naughty Neighbour cans really needs to be retired.
their tonedeafness on NN and Immodest packaging has resulted in me not buying a single beer of theirs in a long, long time.
first, Naughty Neighbour's current can looks ugly REGARDLESS of the "sexy" drawing.
but worse?

it all comes together like some 1930s clusterfuck of a marketing scheme and really needs to go. not sure why Nickelbrook insists that it's "playful" or fine.

perhaps only a small percentage of we consumers feel strongly about it or find it to be dumb or offensive. but at least listen and have dialogue.

in the end, it's an ugly can and the brewery should look at cool art like, for example, what the Alchemist has on their cans, and not art that uses a woman's cans to sell cans. if they can't see why it's not needed in this day and age, then shame on them.
I get not liking the can (I don't particularly care for it but don't feel as strongly as you) but I don't think NB has been mute on the subject. Our marketing guy was interviewed for Ben's Blog just recently and had perhaps the largest segment of the breweries interviewed.
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

CoolB

Post by CoolB »

You could post images of naked old folks having sex on your can's and I wouldn't give a crap.

There are far more important things in life to be concerned about that actually make a difference in the world. Being offended about an image on a beer can is the type of thing I'll leave for the drama queens of the world to worry about.

And the fact that the beer within is great is really all that matters.
You know what I have in my cellar? Dust, I have dust in my cellar.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

CoolB wrote:You could post images of naked old folks having sex on your can's and I wouldn't give a crap.

There are far more important things in life to be concerned about that actually make a difference in the world. Being offended about an image on a beer can is the type of thing I'll leave for the drama queens of the world to worry about.

the fact that you use "drama queen" in your above diatribe summarized why your opinion is so fucking wrong and ignorant. but hey, keep on boozin'!

and some of us out there like to support those that deserve support. see the flack that Wicked Weed's been getting for selling to InBev.

i'm no god by any means, but i refuse to give my money to businesses that have questionable practices (Walmart for their wage and benefit issues as a simple example). it's your money. do what you want. but it reminds me of years ago, when i was in 1st year university, and i was emptying my binder of notes and recycling it. some d-bag sitting near my table said that he thinks that not recycling's a form of power and strength and he'll throw all of his paper in the garbage just cuz. i feel like you two would have been good friends.
Last edited by atomeyes on Sat May 20, 2017 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

portwood

Post by portwood »

CoolB wrote:...type of thing I'll leave for the drama queens of the world to worry about.
some would say there is too much "political correctness" in the world, others would say the use of terms like "drama queens" is proof there is plenty of incorrectness still around :wink:

NB is within its rights to promote their products however they see fit - even if they intentionally alienate a significant portion of their potential customer base (such as the 3 future beer drinking young women in my household).
@markhamwhisky

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:
atomeyes wrote:
boney wrote:
but worse?

I get not liking the can (I don't particularly care for it but don't feel as strongly as you) but I don't think NB has been mute on the subject. Our marketing guy was interviewed for Ben's Blog just recently and had perhaps the largest segment of the breweries interviewed.
prior to Ben's blog post (and maybe partially inspiring it?), i complained to NB (via twitter) about their cans and how bad they were.
i received an email back from a woman that worked with NB. it was relatively tone deaf, if i recall correctly. like, "sorry but not sorry at all" tone deaf.

Nickelbrook's quote from Ben's block is even more damning, in my opinion:
“Yeah, it was a girl shushing people. When we switched from that to the current label, our sales went up something like 250 per cent. I’m not saying “screw you women” but it’s an effective label and it is effective advertising. So we have to look at “what’s our imaging and what’s our brand image.....At the end of the day, our job is still get as much beer to as many people. If we’re finding that people are saying, “I love this beer but I don’t drink it because of what’s on the can,” then it’s something that we have to change. As it stands right now, our sales are strong across the market.””
so, people have pointed out to them that the label's a bit offensive. but, man, their sales!! they're through the roof! and not everyone's offended.
we can look at the political situation happening south of the border as a barometer that perhaps public opinion isn't the best barometer for what's offensive, and we can hope that companies can use their brains to realize when they're doing something not 100% kosher and act responsibly on their errors and make the appropriate changes.

Garnet's quote (Side Launch) is the most telling of quotes and summarizes why, yes, this is why we need to be hypervigilant. Nickelbrook ain't as bad as "Farmer's Daughter's Melons" or that stupid Niagara Brewing Co's beer, but, honestly, it's not far off. and the fact that they can't own their mistake and make a change, frankly, puts them closer to the Bud 1980s girls-in-bikinis commercials/images than it does to craft beer.

distr0

Post by distr0 »

i only buy cans featuring full frontal nudity

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I wish I could afford to exclusively drink Gambrinus.

CoolB

Post by CoolB »

atomeyes wrote:
CoolB wrote:You could post images of naked old folks having sex on your can's and I wouldn't give a crap.

the fact that you use "drama queen" in your above diatribe summarized why your opinion is so fucking wrong and ignorant. but hey, keep on boozin'!

and some of us out there like to support those that deserve support. see the flack that Wicked Weed's been getting for selling to InBev.

i'm no god by any means, but i refuse to give my money to businesses that have questionable practices (Walmart for their wage and benefit issues as a simple example). it's your money. do what you want. but it reminds me of years ago, when i was in 1st year university, and i was emptying my binder of notes and recycling it. some d-bag sitting near my table said that he thinks that not recycling's a form of power and strength and he'll throw all of his paper in the garbage just cuz. i feel like you two would have been good friends.
lol you're pretty funny. Possibly a bit delusional as well.

But please go on telling me (someone you don't know) that my opinion is "fucking wrong and ignorant".

You sure speak like an uninformed person for someone bragging about 1st year university. Did you make it to year 2?

CoolB

Post by CoolB »

portwood wrote:
CoolB wrote:...type of thing I'll leave for the drama queens of the world to worry about.
some would say there is too much "political correctness" in the world, others would say the use of terms like "drama queens" is proof there is plenty of incorrectness still around :wink:

NB is within its rights to promote their products however they see fit - even if they intentionally alienate a significant portion of their potential customer base (such as the 3 future beer drinking young women in my household).
Might as well buy them faraday cages right now then. It's nice to know you're planning your daughters futures already. Do they get a say? Mine will. We talk and discuss important issues and the things in the world that will make a real difference. We try to stay grounded and remain reasonable people.

How in the world did our parents, grandparents and other ancestors ever survive in the terrible past that some people are so adamant to change?

CoolB

Post by CoolB »

prior to Ben's blog post (and maybe partially inspiring it?), i complained to NB (via twitter) about their cans and how bad they were.
i received an email back from a woman that worked with NB. it was relatively tone deaf, if i recall correctly. like, "sorry but not sorry at all" tone deaf.

Nickelbrook's quote from Ben's block is even more damning, in my opinion:
“Yeah, it was a girl shushing people. When we switched from that to the current label, our sales went up something like 250 per cent. I’m not saying “screw you women” but it’s an effective label and it is effective advertising. So we have to look at “what’s our imaging and what’s our brand image.....At the end of the day, our job is still get as much beer to as many people. If we’re finding that people are saying, “I love this beer but I don’t drink it because of what’s on the can,” then it’s something that we have to change. As it stands right now, our sales are strong across the market.””

so, people have pointed out to them that the label's a bit offensive. but, man, their sales!! they're through the roof! and not everyone's offended.
we can look at the political situation happening south of the border as a barometer that perhaps public opinion isn't the best barometer for what's offensive, and we can hope that companies can use their brains to realize when they'r
e doing something not 100% kosher and act responsibly on their errors and make the appropriate changes.

Garnet's quote (Side Launch) is the most telling of quotes and summarizes why, yes, this is why we need to be hypervigilant. Nickelbrook ain't as bad as "Farmer's Daughter's Melons" or that stupid Niagara Brewing Co's beer, but, honestly, it's not far off. and the fact that they can't own their mistake and make a change, frankly, puts them closer to the Bud 1980s girls-in-bikinis commercials/images than it does to craft beer.
There is no mistake to own up to.

You're entitled to your "opinion" but you are not judge, jury and executioner. Get off your high horse.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

CoolB wrote:

You're entitled to your "opinion" but you are not judge, jury and executioner. Get off your high horse.
you can't admit that your opinion's incorrect, can you? like, zero ability to look at info people have laid down at your feet and maybe consider what they're saying?
neat.
You sure speak like an uninformed person for someone bragging about 1st year university. Did you make it to year 2?
yup. me so dum. me no pass skool. you write, Cool Bee.

any other questions you have for all the chicks and drama queens posting on here?
Last edited by atomeyes on Sun May 21, 2017 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

CoolB

Post by CoolB »

atomeyes wrote:
CoolB wrote:

you can't admit that your opinion's incorrect, can you? like, zero ability to look at info people have laid down at your feet and maybe consider what they're saying?
neat.
Based on what? Please tell me Mr. university. Please speak on behalf of the world.

CoolB

Post by CoolB »

atomeyes wrote:
CoolB wrote:

neat.
yup. me so dum. me no pass skool. you write, Cool Bee.

any other questions you have for all the chicks and drama queens posting on here?
Nickle Brooks sales of Naughty neighbor should be enough proof that your opinion is the minority. Notice I didn't say wrong, just minority.

Maybe you can learn to be accepting too.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

Not to purposefully change the subject (go ahead and continue to bash the Naughty Neighbour can) but what do people think of the GLB Dad Body can?

At first I thought it was funny and the antidote to the female labels, but the more I think about it, isn't it just the same thing as the dumb dad character in every bad sitcom or commercial? Case in point: as I was writing this I was telling my wife about the new GLB beer, and she said, without even knowing of the Canuck can, "well that's just it, women are pinups and men are lumberjacks or oafs". If the definition of sexist is: "relating to or characterized by prejudice, stereotyping, or discrimination, on the basis of sex" then the new GLB can definitely qualifies.

I, for one, don't really care. It's tiring trying to navigate what's offending who all the time. If something offends you then don't buy it, and feel free to tell others to do the same. However if these conversations ever turn to banning something (they haven't, but if they did) I would be steadfast against that, and would hope those that dislike the Naughty Neighbour et al. cans would be as well.
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge