Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Sexism in beer labels in Ontario

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

atomeyes wrote:
Blasphomet wrote:

I was just watching the Jays game. How much does it hurt your feelings when the camera pans to hot babes in the crowd after a commercial break but doesn't pan to gross ones?
dunno. too busy reading up on this. http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/feat ... fference#1
There is no god.

bradb

Post by bradb »

So NB changed the Immodest can but this latest batch itself isn't nearly as good as it's been before.

Is this a win or a loss?

(taste is subjective but kudos to NB for making the can art change)

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

I was thinking about bumping this thread for the lulz recently. Because I was thinking the same thing. I haven't had or even actually seen Immodest in any stores around me where I normally always would. I did however notice the can change. And LOL! Bowing to pressure of the 'everybody gets a ribbon' crowd who forgot to vote in the recent provincial election because they want stuff but just don't want to put in any effort outside of of slamming their keyboard.

I'm disappointed in Nickel Brook. I hope Naughty Neighbour doesn't get a makeover next. She's pretty as she is.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

Blasphomet wrote:I'm disappointed in Nickel Brook. I hope Naughty Neighbour doesn't get a makeover next. She's pretty as she is.
They’ve stated it will be redesigned.
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:
Blasphomet wrote:I'm disappointed in Nickel Brook. I hope Naughty Neighbour doesn't get a makeover next. She's pretty as she is.
Fucking LOL! I'd love to see the statement. Anyone who was actually offended by those cans are lol. Insane.

So disappointed in Nickel Brook. I will from this point forward be less inclined to support them after bowing to PC pressure. Millenial babies infiltrating the craft beer scene left right and centre.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Oh, so Immodest and Naughty Neighbor show some legs and ass.

Too traumatizing. Is there a safe space we can go to?
In Beerum Veritas

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Blasphomet wrote:
MatttthewGeorge wrote:
Fucking LOL! I'd love to see the statement. Anyone who was actually offended by those cans are lol. Insane.

So disappointed in Nickel Brook. I will from this point forward be less inclined to support them after bowing to PC pressure. Millenial babies infiltrating the craft beer scene left right and centre.
Spoken like a true edgelord neckbeard. Bunch of snowflakes, amirite!?

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

Lol you said edgelord.

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

Belgian wrote:Oh, so Immodest and Naughty Neighbor show some legs and ass.

Too traumatizing. Is there a safe space we can go to?
I blame Vice.

S M A

Post by S M A »

Unfortunately NB generally seems to be struggling a bit these days.

Perhaps all those who wanted the scantily clad women removed from the labels will support them now, and that will lead to a large upswing in sales. I mean, there was a guy on a beer board wondering if the beer being worse but the label not showing burlesque imagery is a net positive, so anything's possible.

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

S M A wrote:Unfortunately NB generally seems to be struggling a bit these days.

Perhaps all those who wanted the scantily clad women removed from the labels will support them now, and that will lead to a large upswing in sales. I mean, there was a guy on a beer board wondering if the beer being worse but the label not showing burlesque imagery is a net positive, so anything's possible.
Is the beer objectively worse or are prolific brewers like Collective Arts just making their beer look mediocre in comparison? At first glance, my money would be on the latter.

But then again, I haven't had a good can of Headstock in months now. Didn't like the peach Uber very much, either - almost no peach flavour at all. And it's hard to say this for certain (because until this week, I hadn't had Immodest in two years), but this new batch of Immodest doesn't seem to taste quite as good as I remember.

And I think we all know that the people who were griping about the Naughty Neighbor label still aren't going to buy NN with any sort of regularity. If there is a significant positive spike in NN sales due to this change I will happily film myself eating my hat. I mean, I couldn't care less about the label and I still don't buy it - not because I dislike it or anything... there's just too much competition in the pale ale category.

Napalm Frog

Post by Napalm Frog »

I think people here are underestimating the audience size and purchasing power of the younger market (I fall squarely into the millennial category).

Just look at the backlash of Vegandale Brewery. They pushed out a hard campaign on 'morality', and now are being struck back as being the epitome of gentrification, therefore anti-morality. For those not in the loop, or of an older generation, it's an odd SJW vs SJW turf war.

And yes, having a sexist label is a huge decision factor for a lot of us, and it's not black and white. There is nothing wrong with a label being sexy, but there's a point when it's too much - objectification. The problem Nickel Brook, Barn Stormer, and some other Ontario brands were running into is that their marketing reflected and mimced a bygone era like the '50s with their pin-up girls. Other brands have been able to do this in a more classy fashion, the most recent being GLB's Pale Ale - named after one of their employees, and the artistry takes no advantage of scantily clad wear or exaggerated curves.

And how these threads devolve so easily into age wars over this sort of discussion is disgusting. It's not millennials versus boomers, it's a shift in the overall demographics and their taste.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

S M A wrote:Perhaps all those who wanted the scantily clad women removed from the labels will support them now...
Maybe they will! Or maybe just go off to protest something else? I don't think Leftist SJWs necessarily put their money where their mouth is.

I'm still optimistic for Nickel Brook, and the bar has been raised the past few years so it's tough, man!

Good guys there.
In Beerum Veritas

bradb

Post by bradb »

S M A wrote:Unfortunately NB generally seems to be struggling a bit these days.

This year's Immodest is a bit crap but I was really just making a joke. I figured it was a bit obvious.

I am all for NB changing their labels (for whatever reason) and if the beer sucks I just won't buy it again. I'm not neckbearding for the Immodests of old though.

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

Lol at fucking terms like edgelord and neckbearding. Lol 2018.