Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Good red/irish ale from a Toronto brewer

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

alsiem

Good red/irish ale from a Toronto brewer

Post by alsiem »

I've got a coworker visiting Toronto in mid June that I'd like to say thank you to. We'll be right down town training so I thought I would grab something from a Toronto brewery as a gift before hand. I asked about favourite styles and I was told porter and red ales.

I have good ideas for porters but nothing jumps to mind for red ales? The only thing I can think of is Lost Craft Crimsen. Ideally it would be brewery only to make it a thoughtful gift but I'm not a big fan of that style so I've filtered out any past experiences where I might have seen one.

Any ideas?

Napalm Frog

Post by Napalm Frog »

Batch (Creemore) is right downtown and has a decent Irish Red, but not sure if it's still available (was a Spring seasonal I believe). Otherwise Junction often has reds available depending on the week. Muddy York's Unearthed is a good amber, too.

alsiem

Post by alsiem »

I can check out Batch (never been before) so that's a great idea. My friend is not from Ontario so an LCBO selection would work but I'd something more unique than Rickards.

S M A

Post by S M A »

I tried the Lost Craft a month or so ago and did not like it at all, FWIW.

Not an Irish Red, and not Toronto, but I did get a Belgian red ale from Nickel Brook this past weekend that was pretty interesting if you think the person would be interested in trying something like that. I got a growler, but they also had 330 mL bottles.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Though not technically to style, I was going to suggest Cameron's Ambeer, then I thought, is their RPA still on the shelves? I haven't seen it for a while. Also not to style, but I bet it would be appreciated too.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

admviolin

Post by admviolin »

I've always liked F&M Red Dragon. C'est What sometimes has it (on cask too)