Grain & Grit

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: GregClow, Cass

Provost Drunk
Posts: 320
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:36 am
Location: Toronto

Grain & Grit

Postby Provost Drunk » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:01 pm

If you're in the area to check out Fairweather, you'd be remiss no skip nearby Grain & Grit. I actually like the beers I had at Grain & Grit a little better than Fairweather and look forward to seeing what they produce going forward.

I tried their Bob's Best Bitter, Citrus Saison and Breakfast Milk Stout. The bitter had a nice biscuity malt character balanced by some hops on the back end. Truthfully, I need more exposure to this style to make a relative assessment, but in absolute terms I enjoyed the beer. The Citrus Saison was decent. It's brewed with coriander, so sort of has a saison/wit hybrid feel, but is drier than witbiers (as a saison should be).

For me, the Breakfast Milk Stout was a standout. It definitely punches above it's weight as a 4.2% abv beer with a lot of body a strong roasted coffee presence. Unlike Fairweather's Madrugador (which was all coffee), I think this one strikes a nice balance and I picked up a few cans from the bottle shop on my way out.
S. St. Jeb
Bar Fly
Posts: 813
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:44 pm
Location: Burlington, ON

Re: Grain & Grit

Postby S. St. Jeb » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:00 pm

Provost Drunk wrote:If you're in the area to check out Fairweather, you'd be remiss no skip nearby Grain & Grit.
:) Ha! No kidding! I checked them out on Google Maps....they're only 2 minutes apart....walking!

Edit: Just read your note in the Fairweather thread saying the same.

Neither website says much. G&G sells cans? Does Fairweather have cans or bottles?
Provost Drunk
Posts: 320
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:36 am
Location: Toronto

Re: Grain & Grit

Postby Provost Drunk » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:54 pm

S. St. Jeb wrote:
Provost Drunk wrote:If you're in the area to check out Fairweather, you'd be remiss no skip nearby Grain & Grit.
:) Ha! No kidding! I checked them out on Google Maps....they're only 2 minutes apart....walking!

Edit: Just read your note in the Fairweather thread saying the same.

Neither website says much. G&G sells cans? Does Fairweather have cans or bottles?


Yes, tallboy cans at G&G and 500 mL sized bottles at Fairweather. If Silky was bottled, I probably would have walked away with a couple of those as well.
Peter Collins
Posts: 158
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:47 pm
Location: Cambridge, ON

Re: Grain & Grit

Postby Peter Collins » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:03 pm

I have to say I did NOT like what I got from G&G in cans. They're space is nice and the people are good but the beer...

I had a bitter in the can and it was unsuitably under carbed. Taste was okay but didn't really do much for me overall. Also, slightly underfilled can.

Their pineapple rye was terrible. The nose on it was really off, sour and foul. The taste not much better, a bit bland and maybe too much rye slickness. I didn't get any pineapple from it.

Perhaps I'm being too harsh and maybe I should stay for a bit at G&G to try stuff on tap and see how it fares but I don't think I'll be going out of my way to purchase cans from then. I'll stick to bottles at Fairweather around the corner.
Provost Drunk
Posts: 320
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:36 am
Location: Toronto

Re: Grain & Grit

Postby Provost Drunk » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:38 pm

Interesting. I have not yet cracked one of my cans, but will report back once I do. Again, I had a positive experience with their beers on tap. I did not have the pineapple rye PA so can't really comment. Not sure that one would be my style even if executed properly.
User avatar
Blasphomet
Posts: 446
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:07 am

Re: Grain & Grit

Postby Blasphomet » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:55 pm

Peter Collins wrote:I have to say I did NOT like what I got from G&G in cans. They're space is nice and the people are good but the beer...

I had a bitter in the can and it was unsuitably under carbed. Taste was okay but didn't really do much for me overall. Also, slightly underfilled can.

Their pineapple rye was terrible. The nose on it was really off, sour and foul. The taste not much better, a bit bland and maybe too much rye slickness. I didn't get any pineapple from it.

Perhaps I'm being too harsh and maybe I should stay for a bit at G&G to try stuff on tap and see how it fares but I don't think I'll be going out of my way to purchase cans from then. I'll stick to bottles at Fairweather around the corner.


I agree on the Pineapple. Average at best beer, no pineapple.

Return to “Ontario Brewers”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest