Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

So is $3.75 for a 355ml can the new norm in east Toronto?

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

seangm wrote:I'd agree with the last point regarding more specialty offerings, but I can go get 12 Founders Centennials for $15 USD (about $20 CAD) or other comparably high quality beers for a similar price point. There's really nothing at a comparable price here except budget and macro brands, and a comparable quality beer here would be at more like $30 bucks for 12.
Definitely "standard" releases like Centennial can be had for around the buck-a-beer level all over the US, especially if there's a sale. Ontario has legally-mandated minimum prices, stunted distribution and competition which I think play a part in making cheap beer non-existent in the province (craft or not).

Strangely, it's easier to justify buying craft in Ontario as it's not THAT much more than macros.

Laker Lager 6 pack :$10.50
Bud Light 6 pack: $12.25
Boneshaker 6 pack: $14.10

From what I've see in the US, you can generally get cases of macro swill for half as much as anything craft.

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

The metric that sticks out for me is this:

If you scale up the price per ml on a $3.75 355ml can to its 473ml equivalent that's $5 a can.

mistermurphy

Post by mistermurphy »

Gedge wrote:The metric that sticks out for me is this:

If you scale up the price per ml on a $3.75 355ml can to its 473ml equivalent that's $5 a can.
I understand where you're coming from, at first glance the price does seem to be expensive. But if you're interested in scaling prices to other formats, try 500ml and 650ml bottles and then compare those prices to other bottle shops around Toronto (not just the east end). I think you'll find that our prices are competitive.

Unfortunately I don't think our prices will ever compare favourably to other large Ontario craft breweries who have a multiple decade head start on us and are several times the size of us. If we're talking US craft, Founders is 100x larger then Left Field.

Not to mention the many other factors that go into our pricing. It's simply an argument I'll never win, but thought I'd jump in to shed some light on the topic.

If you like our beer and think it's worth the $, great. If it's too expensive to be your daily drinker, then hopefully we can gain a share in your rotation. Cheers, Mark from Left Field.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

beerstodiscover wrote:
seangm wrote:I'd agree with the last point regarding more specialty offerings, but I can go get 12 Founders Centennials for $15 USD (about $20 CAD) or other comparably high quality beers for a similar price point. There's really nothing at a comparable price here except budget and macro brands, and a comparable quality beer here would be at more like $30 bucks for 12.
Definitely "standard" releases like Centennial can be had for around the buck-a-beer level all over the US, especially if there's a sale. Ontario has legally-mandated minimum prices, stunted distribution and competition which I think play a part in making cheap beer non-existent in the province (craft or not).

Strangely, it's easier to justify buying craft in Ontario as it's not THAT much more than macros.

Laker Lager 6 pack :$10.50
Bud Light 6 pack: $12.25
Boneshaker 6 pack: $14.10

From what I've see in the US, you can generally get cases of macro swill for half as much as anything craft.
True, it's certainly not a level playing field compared to the US either. A lot more bureaucracy to deal with in Ontario. And yea, the price difference in the US is insane, right now you can get 30 cans of Genesee for $14.99 at Consumers Beverages, which is just crazy.

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

seangm wrote: True, it's certainly not a level playing field compared to the US either. A lot more bureaucracy to deal with in Ontario. And yea, the price difference in the US is insane, right now you can get 30 cans of Genesee for $14.99 at Consumers Beverages, which is just crazy.
If you visit the Genesee brewery in Rochester you can get a flight for $3! They (wisely) limit you to one flight though.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Masterplan wrote:I don't blame Brewers from capitalizing on beer 'tickers'.
Personally I'm happy to pay a small premium to be able to buy a single vs. trying to force me to buy a 4 or 6pack. Drove me bonkers in Alberta this summer not being able to buy singles - I generally don't buy $12-16 six packs that I have never tried before.

Case in point - of the beers I tried at Left Field this weekend the one i ended up buying more of was not the one I would have picked before trying them!

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

beerstodiscover wrote: Definitely "standard" releases like Centennial can be had for around the buck-a-beer level all over the US, especially if there's a sale. Ontario has legally-mandated minimum prices, stunted distribution and competition which I think play a part in making cheap beer non-existent in the province (craft or not).
And taxes. Comparing beer prices to the US is apples and oranges. And kind of pointless if you are not routinely going south to buy beer.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

seangm wrote: you can get 30 cans of Genesee for $14.99 at Consumers Beverages, which is just crazy.
Whenever someone mentions a "deal" like this to me, I always counter with "you get what you pay for". :)

LarryDee

Post by LarryDee »

Starbucks can get away with charging $5 for a 12oz latte and people will pay it without any hesitation. $3.75 is not unreasonable price for a beer in Toronto. If your price sensitive or can’t afford it buy something else and stop complaining. Unbelievable the amount of cheap people on this forum. Especially Gedge who started this ridiculous thread. You left empty handed and ran home to cry about it online. Lol :evil:

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

LarryDee wrote:Starbucks can get away with charging $5 for a 12oz latte and people will pay it without any hesitation. $3.75 is not unreasonable price for a beer in Toronto. If your price sensitive or can’t afford it buy something else and stop complaining. Unbelievable the amount of cheap people on this forum. Especially Gedge who started this ridiculous thread. You left empty handed and ran home to cry about it online. Lol :evil:
Nice threadcrap Larry.

It's called fair comment and this is a discussion forum. The price of craft beer is fair game for discussion.

The "affordability" gambit is bullshit. It's about (perceived) value for money. I didn't leave "empty handed". I simply chose not to purchase anything at Left Field that day and wandered over to the Queen/Coxwell LCBO and grabbed 4 Karma Citra.

My comments above were reasonable and non-hysterical. It was a fair question and, as I made clear, I will continue to give LF my business, just not for 355ml cans. Same goes for any brewery I go to unless it's some sort of premium/imperial release.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

S. St. Jeb wrote:
seangm wrote: you can get 30 cans of Genesee for $14.99 at Consumers Beverages, which is just crazy.
Whenever someone mentions a "deal" like this to me, I always counter with "you get what you pay for". :)
I certainly agree, I'd much rather drink less volume and enjoy a better beer.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

seangm wrote:I certainly agree, I'd much rather drink less volume and enjoy a better beer.
I don't think anyone here would argue that. I was just pointing out that in an environment where you can get a 24 for $14.99, it's big jump in price to craft, which helps keep people on the cheap stuff.

Full disclosure: I am assuming the customer considers a crass concern such as price before making a purchasing decision. :roll:

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

Bobsy wrote:For those willing to venture a little further out, Scarborough's Common Good sells 500ml cans for around $2.50, and I find the quality to be quite decent. I believe their double IPA clocks in at around $2.95, and growler fills are ridiculously cheap.

I expect rent is a huge factor for some of these places - we used to live near Cowell subway and our house went up 70% in 5 years.
Agreed. Their beer is absolutely decent and you can't go wrong with the price of their growler fills. Haven't been in a while, but I need to change that.

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

beerstodiscover wrote:
seangm wrote:I certainly agree, I'd much rather drink less volume and enjoy a better beer.
I don't think anyone here would argue that. I was just pointing out that in an environment where you can get a 24 for $14.99, it's big jump in price to craft, which helps keep people on the cheap stuff.

Full disclosure: I am assuming the customer considers a crass concern such as price before making a purchasing decision. :roll:
Hold on where in Ontario can you get 24 for $14.99 of anything?

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Blasphomet wrote:
beerstodiscover wrote:

Hold on where in Ontario can you get 24 for $14.99 of anything?
Before tax?